EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   The climate change consensus extends beyond climate scientists (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/climate-change-consensus-extends-beyond-climate-scientists-32842.html)

TheEnemy 09-28-2015 02:36 PM

The climate change consensus extends beyond climate scientists

Please read before commenting.

The climate change consensus extends beyond climate scientists - IOPscience

The questions in the survey are the same as the ones given to climate scientists a few years ago, and are at the end of the paper. While 97% believe we are a significant contributor, but doesn't define what they mean as significant. A later question helps clear things up #27, has 70% believing we are responsible for more than 50% with 20% of respondents unsure.

Even as a skeptic I still fall into the 97%.

redpoint5 09-28-2015 07:12 PM

Nearly every controversial topic revolves around political, philosophical, and cultural differences. Nothing surprising here.

I believe human factors play a significant role in global warming. However, I don't believe it's anywhere near as big of a problem as many other human caused problems. We still have war, starvation, exploitation, theft, murder, disease, and many other causes of suffering that can be more easily remedied by focusing our efforts and resources directly on them.

The study referenced above implies that people behave contrary to "the facts", and yet it's climate activists that largely ignore the fact that there is little we can do to halt global warming and at great expense. Meanwhile, the effort and money dedicated to that problem can be more effectively used to directly reduce human suffering and promote well-being in other ways.

My objection to the imperative espoused by climate alarmists was unclear to me until I heard what Bjorn Lomborg has to say. Basically, global warming is a big deal, but there are many big deals out there that are more pressing concerns, and stand a larger chance of being positively influenced at a lower cost.

freebeard 04-01-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Please read before commenting.
That was easy :) This thread tops a search on 'climate', so here's this, as reported in today's Suspicious0bservers daily update:

Sun's impact on climate change quantified for first time - SNF

Long story short — using chemtrials to ameliorate rising temps in a solar minimum is el stupido. There was also a report on a mechanism that affects coronal heating, the speed of the heliosphere and even earthquakes.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...a-wave-physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQzWzY3WYrU

freebeard 04-01-2017 08:12 PM

They're Okay until they hit puberty. :confused: Then it's "Whoa, Nellie!"

Note: That April the First S0 post quotes previously published papers; so it's prolly reliable.

Edit: I no longer see the comment that was in reply to. :confused:

justadude 05-30-2017 07:54 AM

I just hope people would be more aware of how dangerous global warming is. People don't know it's bad because they don't see the changes... YET. But there will be a time, soon enough when everyone's going to be sorry for not helping the planet... It's all our fault, pretty much.

Natalya 05-30-2017 09:33 AM

Hmm old topic got revived. Whatever.

@redpoint5:
I've seen you say as much before, "it's real but we can't do much, and there's more pressing problems we can more easily solve with less money anyway." What are your thoughts on problems that climate change is indirectly causing?

For example, changing weather patterns leads to unpredictable rainfall, which leads to crop failures and food shortages, which is politically//socially destabilizing in the affected regions.

Another example is that warming is moving the mosquito line further towards the poles (and other bugs too, such as the ash borer) which spread disease or kill trees//crops.

oil pan 4 05-30-2017 11:37 AM

As long as China and India don't think it's a problem there isn't anything the developed world can do.
Any reductions made by the US, oh Canada, UK, and Europe will be replaced and them some by fast growing China and india.
The only thing the big developed nations could do that would have any lasting or immediate effect would be to build more nuclear power plants.
Everyone says they want to reduce CO2 until they are actually given options that will reduce CO2. Then all of a sudden they don't want to do it.

Fingie 05-30-2017 12:08 PM

theres oo many people on this planet.

If we solved world poverty overnight, imagine the demands on natural resources we would have in the world, if everyone were as rich as the "average" westerner

freebeard 05-30-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

theres oo many people on this planet.
They're all over the place!

Mainstream science and media are ignorant. Pushing a cap-and-trade or Carbon tax solution is using financial shenanigans to address a situation that is misunderstood.

Nuclear is at an impasse until the 'requirement' for uranium and plutonium is replaced by Thorium. The big players are going renewable:

www.google.com/search?q=renewable+energy+in+china+and+india

Then there is " if everyone were as [profligate] as the "average" westerner"

oil pan 4 05-30-2017 06:05 PM

Other countries use poverty to control their population.
These governments have no need for their population to be literate, to have currency or access to out side influence.
Remember I have been to some of these places.