EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Closet Ecomodder outed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/closet-ecomodder-outed-36815.html)

Quiet Prepper 09-08-2018 06:50 PM

Closet Ecomodder outed

I have been using Ecomodder techniques since I started driving. I was fuel conscious and coasted whenever I could when I drove my Datsun B 110 back in 77. Driving frugally did not have a name back then. I was broke on my ass and needed to conserve.

Just this last Thursday I installed a Scan Gauge E in my 07 Saturn Vue AWD (3.5 liter Honda V6 with 5 speed auto). I am on my first tank and am calibrating the unit. The information the tool provides is outstanding. Prior to the gauge I was averaging 23 mpg. This vehicle was purchased in the last month. I checked the air pressure and had 2 tires at 20 psi. After all tires were inflated to 40 psi I checked the mpg. It jumped from 23.3 to 29.4. I employed proper fuel saving driving practices at the start of that tank. That is a 30% increase in mpg. SWEET. I may pull the roof rack off. I am not sure if I will employ P&G. The Scan Gauge has greatly modified my driving. The Vue seems to be most efficient at 58 mph at 1500 RPM, going down hill, with a tail wind, in neutral, and drafting as semi. :) We are in the middle of a road trip and are averaging 31.5 mpg. That is 20% above industry ratings for this compact SUV with AWD.

You are a great source of information. I thoroughly enjoy the Ecomodding community. I am also a Prepper and a Last Dropper. The philosophy of using resources efficiently is central to survival.

Quiet Prepper

elhigh 09-08-2018 10:03 PM

Okay, prepper I understand but Last Dropper is new to me. At the risk of displeasing the mods, what does that mean?

If it's going to take more than a single paragraph to spell it out for me, PM me.

redpoint5 09-09-2018 02:55 AM

I've never heard the term myself, but if I had to take a stab at it; something along the lines of survival of the fittest.

The idea of being prepared appeals to me, but not so much in the extreme. Eating the oldest of the stored food and replacing it with new doesn't appeal to me.

Daox 09-09-2018 09:45 AM

Welcome to the site. Nice job with the Vue so far.

oldtamiyaphile 09-10-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 578502)
Okay, prepper I understand but Last Dropper is new to me. At the risk of displeasing the mods, what does that mean?

I would guess use every drop like it's your last.

oil pan 4 09-10-2018 07:21 AM

Check out the youtube channel for "iceage farmer".

Fat Charlie 09-10-2018 08:47 AM

A Maxwell House fanatic?

Quiet Prepper 09-11-2018 06:05 AM

The philosophy of “last dropper “ is that one uses the last drop in the oil can, the last bit in the tooth paste tube. You re-purpose whenever you can. You maintain your vehicles and keep order in your shop.

Prepping to me means being prepared for a natural or man made disaster. Yes I have some food stores, and redundancy in my equipment and firearms. I do not wear a tin foil helmet and am law abiding.

I am a former banker now working in child protection. I never thought I would end up doing this however protecting children is a much needed function. Time for coffee.

Quiet Prepper

redpoint5 09-11-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 578566)
A Maxwell House fanatic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet Prepper (Post 578644)
Time for coffee.

Nailed it FC!

I can get behind preparedness and efficient use of resources.

One thing that boggles my mind is how unprepared most people are financially. If someone has had an adult job for a few years, they should have at least 3 months of cash on hand. That means one must always be living slightly below their income level. We have the reverse, with most people living beyond their income level; carrying $6k in credit card debt.

That's like reverse prepping, or unprepping.

oil pan 4 09-11-2018 12:23 PM

Personal or financial shtf is one of the things I'm big on.
It tries to happen to everyone at some point.
It's happening right now to a few million people on the east coast.