Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

88blackbetty - '88 ford ranger xlt
New here 88blackbetty

Hello all,

I've read the forum quite a bit and it has helped me a lot with increasing my efficiency and I'm very excited to now have a vehicle that I can modify without worrying about hurting it's value.

So far with this ranger I've done a lot just to get it reliable, it leaked oil like crazy. I replaced the valve cover gaskets, now it just leaks a little, I'd traced the remaining leak down to the rear main or oil pan. Today I finished wiring a junkyard electric fan, and it feels a lot better already, currently wired with a manual switch and relays for high and low, but I've only needed low so far, and high speed puts a serious drain on the alternator, I think a 100 or 130 amp alternator upgrade will come soon enough, along with a sensor switched controller when I do my engine swap.

I fully intend to replace the v6 with a 4 cyl that I've freshened up with new gaskets, maybe rings and bearings if I need, but usually if it needs rings then it will need pistons. I've already bought the ecu, wiring harness and intake, just picking up the other odds and ends before I go all in when the right one shows up in the junkyard.

I've been looking into what I can do for the camshaft to increase the low end. I plan on an adjustable cam gear and advancing the timing, aside from that, aftermarket cams get expensive. Exhaust and intake will remain conservative, if not completely stock. still researching what gear ratio will be the best for the rear as I'm looking into what will be the torque peak for the 2.3 and I want to keep it right there for the best MPG.

Last edited by 88blackbetty; 12-07-2014 at 09:24 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

05 Prius (wife's) - '05 Toyota Prius package 5
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.32 mpg (US)

Citrus - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)
Welcome!

Reply  Post New Thread