EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Coasting is illegal in Kentucky????? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/coasting-illegal-kentucky-7218.html)

rwyler 02-23-2009 10:25 AM

Coasting is illegal in Kentucky?????

Wow, crazy stuff here:
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/189-00/430.PDF

I was looking for laws regarding the number of mirrors required in Kentucky and stumbled onto this gem. Good luck catching me in the act and being able to prove it. Weird, eh?

Oh, and the law states in regards to windshield wipers:
"The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield. The device shall be so constructed as to be controlled by the operator of the vehicle."

I've removed my wipers and keep them inside the the car (negligible FE benefits, but it's quieter without them). I'm not sure that they could get me for this, but I'll keep a copy of the statue in the glovebox just in case they need a reminder of the vagueness of their law.

MazdaMatt 02-23-2009 11:03 AM

vagueness makes prosecution easier... i'd recommend putting them back on if there is no FE benefit and you live in a "policey" area.

rwyler 02-23-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazdaMatt (Post 89154)
vagueness makes prosecution easier... i'd recommend putting them back on if there is no FE benefit and you live in a "policey" area.

I'm not too worried. I've only been pulled over once in two years of living here, and I completely deserved a ticket and got away with it. I've got an "honest face" apparently and the police around here are much more concerned with speeding than with vehicle statute compliance (makes them more money?).

If it's raining, the wipers go back on anyway. I'm pretty sure that the average peace officer wouldn't notice that they're missing in fair weather. I sure wouldn't be looking for them if I pulled someone over for speeding.

Either way, I can afford the ticket and don't really care if I get one so I'll just keep on keepin on.

wyatt 02-23-2009 11:47 AM

Coasting is also illegal in Alabama... It would be nice to have a compilation of "Hypermiler Specific" state by state laws... with regards to coasting, mirrors, other things added to one's vehicle. Other things I found were a minimum height for headlights and tail lights, a maximum number of headlights and tail lights and I am sure there were a few more.

McTimson 02-23-2009 11:50 AM

I think there should be a maximum height for headlights as well, for the SUV's that shine their HID's right into our rear and side view mirrors.

Piwoslaw 02-23-2009 12:19 PM

North Carolina also prohibits coasting, in gear or in neutral.
NC also has a nice law about turn signals. I don't remember the exact wording of the driver's licence booklet, but it goes something like:
"If you want to turn, you should signal it using hand signals. You are also allowed to use light signals (flashers). At night it is advised to use light signals."
I wonder what hurts your FE more: the electrical load of flashers, or the un-aerodynamical hand outside your window?

Windshield wiper law:
A few years ago I heard on the news that rain caused havoc on the streets of Cairo, Egypt. It doesn't rain there too often, so most cars don't have wipers. When it does rain, the dust on the windshield turns into mud and people drive with their heads sticking out of the window.

wagonman76 02-23-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

I wonder what hurts your FE more: the electrical load of flashers, or the un-aerodynamical hand outside your window?
I'd say the hand outside the window, and also the drag of the open window needed to get your hand out in the first place.

rwyler 02-23-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTimson (Post 89161)
I think there should be a maximum height for headlights as well, for the SUV's that shine their HID's right into our rear and side view mirrors.

There was a max and minimum in Ohio and Indiana (where I used to live). Occaisonally you'll see a big lifted truck with the headlights relocated below the bumper to be legal in these states. Ketucky does not have this rule, or bumper height resistrictions, or suspension lift restrictions. There are some crazy vehicles here that are "street legal" that look like they drove off a Mad Max shoot. I used to own one, but I didn't drive it very often and if I was behind someone short I'd keep my distance.

TomO 02-23-2009 03:16 PM

It is also illegal to coast an automobile in MN (netral for an automatic and neutral gear for manuals). But it is legal to push a disabled vehicle down the highway, but illegal to tow it with a chain/rope/strap. Go figure on that one.

Unforgiven 02-23-2009 03:59 PM

I dont have the actual numbers to quote here but I did research it once before, and the state of Indiana has minimum and maximum bumper height laws, which the current Ford F-series trucks, in 4x4 form all violate the maximum height setting. Yet somehow the state ignores this along with all the other things they ignore while setting the officers of the law out and about. Blue lights for headlights? Packages even warn they are for off road use only, and the state law shows that blue light is not acceptable, yet thousands of them roam the night. Loud exhaust? Ha, that is all too dependant on whether the cop in question has been talking on his cell phone while driving (a big Written violation yet look how many do it).