EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Continuously variable transmission and Ecomodding (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/continuously-variable-transmission-ecomodding-20356.html)

Braebyrn 02-01-2012 02:53 PM

Continuously variable transmission and Ecomodding

We are looking at a CVT motorcycle for modding. The main reason for cvt is because of problems carpal tunnel syndrome and hand shifting/braking. I understand you can do a gear change on a chain and sprocket bike, but I don't know how it will work with a cvt?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Frank Lee 02-01-2012 03:10 PM

I'm not aware of any CVT vehicle that doesn't have a separate final drive- alter the ratio there.

Also there are a handful of bikes out there with automatic transmissions that aren't CVTs.

jkv357 02-01-2012 03:20 PM

I can't think of any CVT cycles - are you looking at larger scooters?

You've seen Craig Vetter's aero work with his Helix scooter, right?

2011 Vetter Streamliner-Chap 40

Jay

Braebyrn 02-01-2012 04:03 PM

We are actually looking at the 2004 and newer Honda Silverwing. It might be overkill with the large motor though.

I will have to look in the to final drive mods for this bike, thanks Frank.

Jay, I did see Craig's Helix and followed the story. Very interesting.

Hal 02-01-2012 08:15 PM

CVT and ecomodding...

I have a 2005 Honda Reflex scooter - 250cc single cylinder engine with CVT. I can get 70+ mpg and top speed a little above 80mph with no mods whatsoever. There is a very active Yahoo group dealing with these scooters with a number of members who have done some mods on theirs. Might be wirth looking into given the similarities between the Reflex and the Sliverwing.

dirtha 02-01-2012 10:07 PM

If you're looking for a motorcycle, rather than a scooter, the Aprilia Mana has a CVT. Aprilia is owned by Piaggio and the Mana uses an 849cc engine and transmission from one of their scooter subsidiaries.

jkv357 02-02-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtha (Post 284020)
If you're looking for a motorcycle, rather than a scooter, the Aprilia Mana has a CVT. Aprilia is owned by Piaggio and the Mana uses an 849cc engine and transmission from one of their scooter subsidiaries.

Good catch - forgot about that. I do recall seeing an article about it.

Honda also has a motorcycle-ish CVT model - the DN-01 . I have heard they are deeply discounted right now - like almost 1/2 price. Still expensive ($7000+) even with the discount.

Here's info on the Honda - 2009 Honda DN-01 Review - Motorcycle.com

Jay

Braebyrn 02-02-2012 10:20 AM

Interesting on the DN-01, but I forgot to mention it needs to be a step through. I still can't find anything on the final drive modifications for this Honda Silverwing.
Hal, I looked at the Reflex and there is one locally, and it may fit the bill. The Silverwing has the option of ABS and a few other features, BUT it is a lot heavier. If a enclosure was made for either bike, I think the heavier bike would do better in the crosswinds? Right?

thomason2wheels 10-16-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braebyrn (Post 283939)
We are actually looking at the 2004 and newer Honda Silverwing. It might be overkill with the large motor though.

I will have to look in the to final drive mods for this bike, thanks Frank.

Jay, I did see Craig's Helix and followed the story. Very interesting.

Try a yamaha majesty 400....good on gas fuel injected, and two up capable with a cvt. I regularly got near 70 mpg, sometimes over that.

Braebyrn 10-16-2012 11:25 PM

I appreciate the responses and hope it helps someone else that wants to mod a scooter/motorcycle.

After purchasing a Honda Silverwing and riding it around, I found my carpal tunnel problems limited me to about 1/2 hour or less. I tried everything suggested by others (for the hands/arms falling asleep) on scooter/motorcycle forums to no avail. BTW, I have had the surgery years ago, which obviously didn't work.

So, I sold the bike and purchased a car. The car gets great gas mileage 65+ mpg and protects me from the elements. I can steer with my knees if I need to and it has a bit more cargo space than the scooter. I still have dreams though of modding a Honda Silverwing.