EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   cops (and side mirrors) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cops-side-mirrors-6023.html)

hamorhead 11-17-2008 01:16 PM

cops (and side mirrors)

i got pulled over for not having external mirrors and the cop told me that i dont need a rearview mirror but i need outside mirrors. He even said i needed 2 when my car only came with 1. So i only got a fix it ticket but he told me i need them cuz im not driving in nascar, which insulted me cuz i was going 5 under Psl and have 51mpg written on my back glass. but its civic stereotyping i guess

MazdaMatt 11-17-2008 01:59 PM

civic stereotyping? Never heard of the stereotype of civic owners driving slowly with no mirrors. More likely he doesn't know the rules he is policing (pretty sure passenger mirror is optional anyway) and he's concerned about highway safety... being a cop.

At least it was just a fix-it. Pull up the rules in your state regarding mirrors, comply and go get your ticket punched.

moorecomp 11-17-2008 03:26 PM

Florida Vehicle Code:

"316.294 Mirrors.--Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318. ":)

MazdaMatt 11-17-2008 03:42 PM

ZING! I hope your fix-it ticket has a badge number or name on it so you can file a complaint. It must be frustrating to have the police ticket you because they don't know the rules of their own road.

groar 11-17-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamorhead (Post 72832)
and have 51mpg written on my back glass.

Since when cops can read ? They are in "write only" mode ;) </joking>

Denis.

MazdaMatt 11-17-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar (Post 72861)
Since when cops can read ?

(noting irony) :D

SVOboy 11-17-2008 04:19 PM

That sucks! I hope you can get it worked out since obviously you're in the right here.

RH77 11-17-2008 06:25 PM

The law's in your favor. If you have an interior, left-hand, rear-view mirror, prove that it complies with the rear road view of 200-feet and you're good.

By the way, I get the "Civic Stereotype" reference. I had a '99 Si and got crap for it often. The worst was when an officer brushed the tall spoiler purposely with his hand, like "got another one". I thought to myself, "don't touch my car!"

It didn't go well -- his attitude was already in the crapper.

Ford Man 11-17-2008 06:27 PM

In NC you have to have both a left outside and interior rear view mirror, with the exception of larger trucks where the interior mirror wouldn't do any good because of the box or trailer behind it. I wasn't sure about the law on that until a few weeks ago and I had to get one of the cars inspected and the person who does my inspections is a friend and he said he couldn't pass it until I got the interior rear view mirror glued back onto the windshield. Yeah it had been off for months, I just kept putting off putting it back on.

ATaylorRacing 11-18-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamorhead (Post 72832)
.........and have 51mpg written on my back glass. but its civic stereotyping i guess

You are lucky that he did not give you a ticket for obstruction of view.