EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Could gas prices kill the Volt? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/could-gas-prices-kill-volt-5701.html)

bbjsw10 10-25-2008 10:52 PM

Could gas prices kill the Volt?

I was thinking could the current gas price drop possibly kill GM's Volt project. I have been wanting this car ever since I heard about it. I am just worried that the recent decline in gas prices could put a real damper on sales of it. I hope I am just worrying too much.

greenitup 10-25-2008 10:54 PM

i wouldn't be surprised if gm kills it, it is getting really expensive already, i would rather have an ev with a good range.

Memorytwo 10-25-2008 10:58 PM

dont worry, its not long until the gas price gouging begins.
you think 2.87 is cheap?

bbjsw10 10-25-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achang1 (Post 69187)
dont worry, its not long until the gas price gouging begins.
you think 2.87 is cheap?

2.32 here

Edit: 2.17 now was 2.32 earlier today.

Yaristock 10-25-2008 11:55 PM

Ya, unfortunately our government has a tendency to overlook gouging. Oil is 61$USD a barrel now, well the last I checked. But I'm still paying 3$ a gallon. Then again if the majority of my money came from oil I would overlook aswell.:p

SVOboy 10-26-2008 12:06 AM

It'll go back up if opec has anything to say about it.

I think it's more likely a GM bankruptcy, Prius PHEV, or Tesla Model S will kill the volt.

SuperTrooper 10-26-2008 12:03 PM

GM has invested itself too heavily, both financially and from a PR standpoint, to back away from the Volt now. The main factor in determining the Volt's success will be how the price compares to it's competitors PHEVs. BY 2010 Toyota will probably have a PHEV Prius for sale to the general public, and Chrysler may have offerings too.

Forget about the Tesla as a direct competitor. It's priced twice as high and will see limited production for a long time. Chevy will make more Volts the first year than Tesla will in 10 years.

Cd 10-26-2008 12:12 PM

Two-thousand-ten. But that's like over twenty years in the future !

( You know when we will have bases on the moon and all that ! )

Sometimes I have to remind myself of what year that this is when I read dates.

Concerning gas prices, yup - I noticed how many bicycles started showing up at work when the gas prices went up. I'd hear it daily about how someone there was going to get a smaller car with better gas mileage.

Now no one cares.

gascort 10-26-2008 12:55 PM

Obama made a bunch of statements about being only based on US oil in 10 years - we can do it, but not with cheap oil! If we increase our domestic production and keep selling it for this cheap, we'll run out really fast.

SVOboy 10-26-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper (Post 69246)
GM has invested itself too heavily, both financially and from a PR standpoint, to back away from the Volt now. The main factor in determining the Volt's success will be how the price compares to it's competitors PHEVs. BY 2010 Toyota will probably have a PHEV Prius for sale to the general public, and Chrysler may have offerings too.

Forget about the Tesla as a direct competitor. It's priced twice as high and will see limited production for a long time. Chevy will make more Volts the first year than Tesla will in 10 years.

It's only be 50% higher at current estimates and, as you know, perception measures the failure or success of any car. If Tesla's Model S is out there kicking butt and everyone wants to drive it, they'll all be asking "if this volt is an electric car why isn't it like this?" and decide to wait for something better.