EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   could you see a '68-72 ElCamino being used (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/could-you-see-68-72-elcamino-being-used-27029.html)

larrybuck 09-22-2013 09:54 PM

could you see a '68-72 ElCamino being used

to travel pulling a short 5th wheel travel trailer? I know it would have to be pretty short for weight reasons. Put say a 6.2 Diesel in it with 2 smallish turbos.

A similar span of Ranchero's would all just be unibodied,right?

I just enjoy the looks of older vehicles, and this seemed like a nice way to travel
in class.

The mind is burning 'cause I know where a clean '68 Elkie with no rust is only
$1,600. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How short a trailer, or more of a vintage issue with newer trailers weighing less?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-24-2013 06:20 AM

It may eventually work, but I'd rather get a full-size to tow with a 5th-wheel. As important as engine and gearbox is the integrity of brakes, suspension and the frame under that effort...

justme1969 09-24-2013 09:47 AM

We towed a race car trailer with my brothers elcamino for years just had to get corrected length of 78 cadillac springs and bigger sway bars for the rear end. already had 12 bolt the drum brakes were worrisome but trailer brakes cleared up that probblem.
And that was bumper drawn not 5 wheel type. we hauled 2 axle trailer 68 chevelle extra set of heads fuel pump shocks tools tires well buncha stuff anyway.
that 396 never missed a beat going up mountains etc of course it was spare for the race car lol.
you can convert rear drums now to discs for cheap now. and 6.9 would be super heavy on that front suspension I dont believe that would work out.

rmay635703 09-24-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 392265)
It may eventually work, but I'd rather get a full-size to tow with a 5th-wheel. As important as engine and gearbox is the integrity of brakes, suspension and the frame under that effort...

We used to pull rather large trailers with full sized cars, just weld up an H-frame to mount ot the back.

02ws6 09-24-2013 10:23 AM

My grandfather used a '86 caprice to haul a 26' camper for about a year before having to upgrade. Drivetrain hauled fine but the brakes and suspension took a beating. That and the fact that the front wheels left the ground on takeoffs. lol.

rmay635703 09-24-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02ws6 (Post 392296)
My grandfather used a '86 caprice to haul a 26' camper for about a year before having to upgrade. Drivetrain hauled fine but the brakes and suspension took a beating. That and the fact that the front wheels left the ground on takeoffs. lol.

Suspension on ours was fine but it was a 69 chrysler, also my dad had helpers and the 28' trailer had its own brakes

Arragonis 09-24-2013 02:19 PM

If you are going to engine swap, a 1.9 TDI will get you better results. They can be chipped to 180hp / 300+ lb/ft and there are kits for north-south install with 6 speeds.

You know you want 60 MPG, you know you do...

rmay635703 09-24-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 392332)
If you are going to engine swap, a 1.9 TDI will get you better results. They can be chipped to 180hp / 300+ lb/ft and there are kits for north-south install with 6 speeds.

You know you want 60 MPG, you know you do...

6.2's can be had for the $100 area and they will typically bolt up to an el camino XMSN without anything special, though a 6.2 belongs with a 5sp MT nv3500, anything else is a waste of the motor.

A 6.2 will also bolt up to a Corvette 6sp double OD, gear the rearend way down and you have lots of power :)

As for Fuel economy a 1.9 won't touch 60mpg in an el camino except maybe at 25mph, the 6.2 will chug along in the 30's all day long in such a rig with an MT.
40's aren't impossible.

Cheers
Ryan

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-25-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 392295)
We used to pull rather large trailers with full sized cars, just weld up an H-frame to mount ot the back.

With a regular tow hook it's OK, but a 5th-wheel actually belongs in a bigger truck.

rmay635703 09-25-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 392415)
With a regular tow hook it's OK, but a 5th-wheel actually belongs in a bigger truck.

It all depends on weight and height. A pad, XMBR and mounts could be fabbed up to mount directly into the suspension, then just grab a 3/4 ton rear axle off some random GM pickup.

With a 6.2 up front an el camino would have almost the same weight as an older 3/4 ton pickup.

The main concern is that the trailer MUST have its own brakes, you can pull a trailer with a riding lawn tractor if the trailer has its own brakes (and I have)

As for wind and side loads the trailer is usually designed to handle those on its own, more tugger weight won't stop the trailer from tipping or being impossible to turn as that is apart of the design of the trailer.

Windy conditions require different driving habits, a 6.2 won't pull a 5th wheel over 55mph anyway so your half way there to a safe experience, the rest is up to the driver.

Cheers
Ryan