EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Crapped. 2 tires have bubbles. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/crapped-2-tires-have-bubbles-4568.html)

XyKo 08-15-2008 04:45 PM

Crapped. 2 tires have bubbles.

Was taking pictures of my car today and found out that the 2 rear tires have bubble on the sides/edge of the tires.

Tires are: Toyo 800 Ultra Premium. Tires were purchased in 1998 with 45K on the odometer. Now it's 84K and the tires still have alot of treads left on them.

Guess I'll just buy 2 replacement and put those on the fronts and the other 2 Toyo in the rears. Any specific tires to get? Current size is 175/70/13. Or should I just replace all 4 tires with stock size and keep the other 2 as spares?

Miller88 08-15-2008 04:55 PM

Personally, I wouldn't trust a tire over 5 or 6 years old. They wear quicker and are more prone to blowouts at the older age.

Katana 08-15-2008 05:25 PM

Yes get replacement ones. My father does MOT tests (British government road worthiness test) for a living and having bubbles or bulges on the tires would be cause to fail the car, as i learned when he found some while checking over my car a while back. Something about how the bubble is equivalent to a hernia would be on a person, to paraphrase him.

Basically if it looks dodgy get a new tires since you don't want to mess around not getting something as important as them.

TrikeKid 08-15-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller88 (Post 53648)
Personally, I wouldn't trust a tire over 5 or 6 years old. They wear quicker and are more prone to blowouts at the older age.

Unless the tire has real damage like in the case of sidewall "bubbles" (sounds more like a broken belt/cord if I'm visualizing it correctly) and it isn't worn out, there really isn't a need to replace it. I've seen some pretty scary looking tires (from a dry rot perspective) make it till they wore out. I wouldn't have driven on them, but the owners did just fine. I wouldn't fiddle around with running tires with busted cords like that, replace them. Tiny tires like that are far cheaper than totaling your car when one blows out.

jesse.rizzo 08-15-2008 05:45 PM

I don't know if you should replace them or not, but if you get two new ones, they go on the rear and the old ones should go up front.

slurp812 08-15-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XyKo (Post 53646)
Was taking pictures of my car today and found out that the 2 rear tires have bubble on the sides/edge of the tires.

Tires are: Toyo 800 Ultra Premium. Tires were purchased in 1998 with 45K on the odometer. Now it's 84K and the tires still have alot of treads left on them.

Guess I'll just buy 2 replacement and put those on the fronts and the other 2 Toyo in the rears. Any specific tires to get? Current size is 175/70/13. Or should I just replace all 4 tires with stock size and keep the other 2 as spares?

1998? they do go bad with age.....

XyKo 08-15-2008 06:11 PM

Well I need to find a new set asap because tomorrow is the start of "No-Tax" weekend.

slurp812 08-15-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse.rizzo (Post 53660)
I don't know if you should replace them or not, but if you get two new ones, they go on the rear and the old ones should go up front.

Um, personally I would put the carp times on the rear....
:thumbup:

jesse.rizzo 08-15-2008 06:34 PM

Nope, I just found this out when my friend had to get two new tires, the shop put them on the rear.

It turns out that it is much easier to regain control if your front end slides out than if the rear end does. Also, in a panic situation, most people's instinct is to brake, which puts more weight and thus more traction on the front tires. So the new tires always go on the rear.

XyKo 08-15-2008 06:45 PM

No shops around have any 165/70/13 in stock! They are all special order one. Sears quoted me 175/70/13 Sumitomo HTR for $350, includes installation. While I can get the 165/70/13 from tirerack for $41 each. $200 shipped.

Or should I up the size to 175/70/13 and stick with those? There are more options and cheaper prices.