EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Crashing is real bad for fuel economy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/crashing-real-bad-fuel-economy-3386.html)

SVOboy 06-27-2008 04:19 PM

Crashing is real bad for fuel economy

So take my advice and always tighten your lugs!

In unrelated news I fixed that clunking on my car, ;)

AXMonster 06-27-2008 04:48 PM

So what have you crashed then???

SVOboy 06-27-2008 05:09 PM

I've only personally crashed a bike, :p. But would've been close had a gone for a longer drive on the half-on lugs

AXMonster 06-27-2008 06:30 PM

I did this in my Supra, left one back wheel on just finger tight after changing the brake pads. A few days later I took a friend for a spin on a private road up to 'a lot' of mph.... then noticed a knocking noise the next day. That back wheel had started working its way loose :eek:

I was lucky LOL

adam728 06-27-2008 06:42 PM

I too have done this, but was too stupid to find it.

Did brakes on my old 85 Toyota pickup. A few days later the backend was clunking badly as I pulled into the apartments. I knew the pinion bearing was on it's way out, and assumed the noise was teeth being sheared off the ring/pinion.

Didn't drive it for 3 weeks while searching for a center section I could afford. Spent the better part of 2 hours digging a parts truck out of the snow that a buddy had (sat behind the barn, snow was drifted about 9-10 feet deep over it, made a little tunnel to the rear end).

Later on I found out the front wheel had come loose, and the horrible knocking/jerking was the cast ribs on the back of the wheel smacking the caliper. :mad:

Stupid stupid STUPID!

But hey, we all make mistakes....

Daox 06-27-2008 07:06 PM

Add me to the list too. :) I actually took off work on a Friday to fix my CV joint (or what I thought was a CV) because I was going on a trip that afternoon. Turns out I just had to tighten up the lugs. It was a happy time.

RH77 06-27-2008 07:41 PM

Yikes! That would've sucked! I once saw what happened when a car lost a wheel and hit another vehicle head-on.

Later, the accident investigators reported only one lug nut held the wheel on and it sheared off after driving a few miles. Turned out to be an attempted murder case (those other 3 lug nuts didn't magically unfasten)...

Good thing you checked it. Glad you're OK!!!

Maybe everyone should go out and give them a quick torque. I shall declare it "Lug Nut Torque Awareness Day" :thumbup:

-Rick

kevlar 06-27-2008 10:22 PM

Lug nut sins

Forgive me fathers for I too, have committed this sin.
I once had a minivan on stands with a 4 wheel removal project, put the wheels on thinking I would remember to tighten them up after dropping it down, then forgot after dropping it. I drove it to work the next day for testing, then realized it was awful wobbly after about 20 miles. I pulled over to find almost every wheel was not tightened and ready to fall off :eek:

adam728 06-28-2008 09:05 AM

This all reminds me of Ron White's bit against Sears.

"Apparently their mechanic was absent on lug nut day..."

Blue07CivicEX 06-28-2008 09:50 AM

I was in Chautauqua County, NY riding with the PD out there for work when we went by a call they had just gotten, the tire came off a car, bounced at the side of the road and went through a picture window in a VFW building. Luckily nobody was hurt in the instance but lug nut awareness is important!