EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   CRX HF or INSIGHT gen I? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/crx-hf-insight-gen-i-16284.html)

hondadualvtec 03-01-2011 03:36 AM

CRX HF or INSIGHT gen I?

I am trying to decide on a CRX HF or INSIGHT. If I get a crx thought about getting a d13 engine and destroke it to 1200cc and lighten up internals by knife edging crank, lighten rods, and pistons. Planning on vtec-e head swap, increase compression ratio, lightened, lightened crankshaft and alternator pulley as well as shaving some of its body weight with carbon fiber and plexiglass. New to hybrids so not sure what i can do to them to increase fe.
What mpg could i expect from CRX HF and a gen I insight?
Thanks,
James

euromodder 03-01-2011 05:34 AM

It sure sounds like the Insight I is going to be the easier solution.

Take a look in the Garage to see what MPG people are getting from their Insights and compare to the CRX.
EcoModder Fleet list - EcoModder.com

The CRX tops out at around 50 mpg, which is around where the Insight starts ;)

hondadualvtec 03-01-2011 11:23 PM

Thanks euromodder. I am not sure how much tinkering you can do on the hybrids to increase the mpg. I will be looking through this sight to find out as much info as i can.

Ryland 03-01-2011 11:47 PM

If you can find a 1.3L CRX then buy it! they only made them one year, 1984 and I think that they did get 58-62mpg but they also changed the EPA ratings around that time as well so those numbers do not compare to any current EPA MPG numbers and if you do get a 1.3L CRX I would for the most part keep the engine stock as it's already a lean burn engine design with it's CVCC head and comes stock with a warm air intake, altho teenagers often remove parts of it to make the car run like crap, so check it for missing parts and remove any after market parts or you will risk burning the engine up, they are very sensitive, but solid.
If you can on the other hand find an Insight that you can afford, buy it! the all aluminum body is pretty slick, the light weight alloy wheels, alloy rear brake drums, rear wheel skirts and they are fancy and modern feeling.

RobertSmalls 03-02-2011 07:19 AM

I recommend the Insight. It's great having a hybrid system to stop and restart the engine, recover a little energy on braking, run the 12V charging system and power brakes even with the engine off, and provide a little extra acceleration on the rare occasion when 1.0L isn't enough.

I suspect that many of the mods you'd do (and many that you couldn't afford to do, like replacing steel components with aluminium and plastic) to the HF are already done to the Insight. But if you're looking for a project car, the Insight still needs a few aerodynamic tweaks, and a few electronic mods to tame the hybrid system.

You might want to check out InsightCentral.net.

Piwoslaw 03-02-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadualvtec (Post 223028)
I am not sure how much tinkering you can do on the hybrids to increase the mpg.

Even one of the best production cars can be improved, see 3-wheeler's Honda Insight Tail Extension Project thread.

SVOboy 03-02-2011 08:15 AM

I would recommend the insight, having put the insight guts in my CRX already. You just can't beat it yet, plus you can mate all sorts of interesting engine onto the hybrid IMA system.

bikepilot 03-04-2011 08:24 AM

Both are fun cars and I'm not sure what I'd go with. I don't think I'd de-stroke anything though - that is rarely good for power or efficiency - only really useful if you want to turn really high rpms and need to get piston speeds down.

Endless44 05-19-2011 10:55 PM

go with the insight

wyatta4 08-18-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 223100)
I would recommend the insight, having put the insight guts in my CRX already. You just can't beat it yet, plus you can mate all sorts of interesting engine onto the hybrid IMA system.

What exactly from the insight did you put in your crx?