EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Cutting noise in cabin? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cutting-noise-cabin-24991.html)

H-Man 02-19-2013 12:19 AM

Cutting noise in cabin?

I'm not sure what to do to reduce tire noise in my car, a 1994 Geo Prizm. Any ideas? I can't afford to replace the tires.

SecondWind 02-19-2013 10:31 AM

"Redneck Dynamat"

Check the CRZforum for Honda CR-Z owners... There have been several threads relating to inexpensive ways to reduce cabin noise, including "redneck dynamat", and dense foam..

California98Civic 05-26-2014 12:29 PM

CLD instead of "peel & seal"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondWind (Post 357135)
Check the CRZforum for Honda CR-Z owners... There have been several threads relating to inexpensive ways to reduce cabin noise, including "redneck dynamat", and dense foam..

Searching google for these discussions on the CRZ forums lead me to a critique of "peel and seal" (claiming it is not effective) and then to this CLD product instead:
Eliminate unwanted panel / SPL vibrations using Damplifier

Also saw a reference to "protecto wrap" working better than peel & seal.

Just fyi

mcrews 05-26-2014 12:38 PM

Kinda on topic.
I drive 2006 KIS Sportage.
I get the most noise when I drive w the rear seats folded down.
once a week I deliver a full load of donated clothes to charity for a local store.
Amazing how quite the cabin is.

2000mc 05-26-2014 01:04 PM

Tried rotating the tires? If the problem is from one or two tires, what you hear might be noticeably changed by which axle the tire is on. If the tires have always been noisy sound insulation could be worth doing, but if the tires have become choppy / feathered i think your dollars would be spent better going after the source, whether it's a loose component, alignment, or just living with it until you can get tires

ecoTex 05-26-2014 01:34 PM

I've wondered what spray-in or roll-on bed liner would do for road noise. And if it would negatively affect cabin air quality, as I have an infant that needs a ride from time to time.

2000mc 05-26-2014 01:51 PM

I put some heavier floor mats in and it made a little difference. Weather tech universal, but they make several different "universals" for different vehicles. Think it was like $60 for the fronts. To install something under the carpet with better coverage would have been a real pita, especially compared to throwing in a new set of floor mats. my old floor mats were about worthless and should have been replaced long ago anyway

Xist 05-26-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 426340)
Searching google for these discussions on the CRZ forums lead me to a critique of "peel and seal" (claiming it is not effective) and then to this CLD product instead:
Eliminate unwanted panel / SPL vibrations using Damplifier

Also saw a reference to "protecto wrap" working better than peel & seal.

Just fyi

What about sound insulation for my bedroom? My roommates frequently have a girl visits who screams for no good reason. They also like playing video games and movies at unholy volumes at uncivilized hours.

ecoTex 05-26-2014 02:48 PM

Punch them in the throat. They WILL stop screaming.

Xist 05-26-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoTex (Post 426362)
Punch them in the throat. They WILL stop screaming.

It will probably get worse before it gets better.

I thought that I finally had a use for the five cans of Great Stuff that I bought just to get free shipping through Amazon, but when I looked into it, it is not supposed to do much to muffle sound.

Well, without putting them in the hospital and me in jail.