EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Cycling compared to Hypermiling (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cycling-compared-hypermiling-8286.html)

doviatt 05-08-2009 01:14 PM

Cycling compared to Hypermiling

Yesterday, as I was being passed on the freeway I noticed I was being flipped off (in the most animated fashion). So violent was his hand waving I thought he might loose control of his car (his temper was already gone) as he cut in front of me. As I calmly continued on I got to thinking how similar cycling is to hypermiling. This thought was triggered by a post I read that day comparing p&g to the cycling equivalent. I have been a cyclist for just over 10 years and I'm fairly new to hypermiling. I am recovering from fairly intense knee surgery (equivalent to CV joint?) so my bike miles are frustratingly low this year.

So, starting with social aspects I realized the same people get upset with my driving slow as do the ones that behave the same way when passing me on my bike. They feel they own the road and anyone slower causes them much aggravation. I will say most people do handle passing with little thought or effort and are reasonable and responsible for their own and my safety. I do get more courtesy while on my bike but I also get the worst exhibited behavior from the impatient drivers. Some drivers like to honk, yell and scream, throw things at me in attempt to scare or distract. While this is rare it does happen and I think they find this entertaining. Most often they do a rapid acceleration around me, spewing thick exhaust from their V-8 powered diesel engines to prove how manly or superior they are (this behavior is no different in the car). Cycling requires the same techniques for going up hills, driving on single lane or narrow roads. Bike lanes are wonderful because there is rarely any debate as to if you belong in this lane. Sharing the road poses the same challenges as driving though.

Comparison:

Aerodynamics- aero (handle)bars, spokes, frames, rider position, helmet, shaving legs.
The shaving of the legs is equivalent to adding fender skirts/wheel covers. You know your serious at this point because, now, you will stand out and are willing to endure ridicule because your results are undebatable.

Engine mods- general fitness, weight loss, endurance and sprint training, performance and efficiency awareness.

Instrumentation- Heart rate monitor, cyclo-computer, gps, power-tap. All of these give you instantaneous machine and human feed back.

Social and psychological aspects- why we do this, and, why and how others protest.

Effiency- pick the best route, plan and conserve during hill climbs, cornering, coasting, drafting.
Drafting is not only legal, but expected/demanded in cycling, and is a lot of fun. You rarely go for a ride in the wind with out convincing your riding buddy to come along to help pull. I loved the analogy I read here about how a team or line of cyclists in a time trial will p&g by leading/pulling for a few seconds and then drop back to be pulled along in the draft as they efficiently work their way up in the line to again pull.

Fuel- liquids for hydration and cooling, bars and gels for instant energy boost, pasta and carbs for sustained energy and recovery, proteins for muscle growth, some fats for energy reserves/storage and also aids in converting some energy forms.

Anyway, I have listed a few thoughts and would like you all to reflect, add to, and dispute these ideas from your own personal experiences. I have noticed quite a lot of cyclists among the ranks and I think this would be an interesting thread.

I can't decide if it is easier to pedal the bike or the Metro...;)

tasdrouille 05-08-2009 03:20 PM

Great analogy, very true.

One note though, technically no one's pulling, everyone's pushing.

superchow 05-08-2009 03:37 PM

I think biking made me aware of hills, average speeds, corner speeds in an effort to conserve momentum, timing stop lights, etc.

If only everybody who drives like a maniac had to ride their bike in the same way, it would undoubtedly change their driving style.

doviatt 05-08-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 103028)

Correct! Scientifically. I was using the terminology the cyclist use. They understand "pulling" when you are out front cause they "push" all the wind doing a majority of the work and the rest of the group relaxes in the draft. Relaxing in the draft is the same as filling up the low pressure behind the lead rider.

doviatt 05-08-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superchow (Post 103033)
I think biking made me aware of hills, average speeds, corner speeds in an effort to conserve momentum, timing stop lights, etc.

If only everybody who drives like a maniac had to ride their bike in the same way, it would undoubtedly change their driving style.

If everyone had to ride a bike for a while the world would be a better place!:)

RobertSmalls 05-08-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doviatt (Post 103055)
If everyone had to ride a bike for a while the world would be a better place!:)

Very true. The biggest reason I insist on living close to work and close to shops, is so I can cycle there when I choose to.

/did my errands on the bike tonight. +5mi. Got heckled by some cool kids in a gas-guzzling Lumina who noticed my DIY illumination system. I'm sure they would gawk at and heckle an aeromodded Insight, or anything else unfamiliar to them.

Bicycle Bob 05-09-2009 01:25 AM

Experienced cyclists can make the same time as beginners while using half as much oxygen - and they both have the same overhead for brains, etc. The knowing when to coast part transfers real well to driving. I love maintaining a constant speed through a green light when all around me brake later and accelerate more. On the right hill, I've maintained position within a car-length of ideal without using a pedal for over a minute. Bliss! I do wish more drivers would understand about the joys of echelon drafting in crosswinds. Someday. . .

hamsterpower 05-09-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 103028)

Actually, for endurance minded cyclists, We all are pulling. Focusing on pulling up the clipped in pedals while letting the pedal down makes for an efficient spin instead of a push push push stroke, and uses all new muscles. Save the pushing for your breath. focus on blowing the bad air out and let the lungs fill passively.

Lazarus 05-09-2009 08:33 AM

Very well said doviatt. :thumbup: I find the bike is faster for local errands then the car.

Geebee 05-09-2009 09:45 AM

I have noticed the same simularities as mentioned between cycling and hypermiling.
But if you are comparing bike aerodynamics to the ecomodded cars the velomobile is much closer, :) plus the riding style is even more related as energy conservation is more critical in a velomobile, accelerate down hill so the streamling will help up the next, accelerate on the flat before smaller hills so you dont have to over work going up, the streamlining allows you to achieve and maintain a higher speed but the weight becomes a major issue on hills.
A bit like driving an under powered very aerodynamic car.