EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Dad wants better FE, please advise. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/dad-wants-better-fe-please-advise-25036.html)

H-Man 02-23-2013 02:37 AM

Dad wants better FE, please advise.

My dad drives the car in my garage called Dad's Corolla, he engine on coasts in neutral up to red lights since his engine (4A-F) is carburated and doesn't have DFCO, plus it is an automatic.
On the freeways he drives 60 MPH so some aero mods will work (I'm thinking air dam and upper grill block.
It can be below freezing when he starts the engine in the morning, he runs 15W-40 oil in the car year round so it needs to warm up before being driven.
The 4 speed automatic with lock up torque converter has an oil to water ATF cooler, speaking of ATF, I don't know much about it but I'm guessing that some are better for FE than others, any suggestions?
He runs the tires at 40 PSI in the front, 38 in the back.
The car has 350,000 miles on it, the carburetor has never been rebuilt. :turtle:
The gas pedal has an extra stiff spring on it because otherwise the pedal can stick.

Frank Lee 02-23-2013 03:36 AM

First of all, it does NOT need to be warmed up first, unless it's so cold that it keeps stalling (not likely in CA) in which case the choke can be adjusted or better yet, a manual choke installed.

Second, send him here! Or print out the 65 mods and 100 tips for him.

P.S. I'd go through the throttle linkage, clean and lube it, and remedy any binding there might be. I'd think it'd be easier to be smooth on the pedal then; maybe the lighter spring would be enough again (or maybe the heavy one feels good?).

H-Man 02-23-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 357861)
First of all, it does NOT need to be warmed up first, unless it's so cold that it keeps stalling (not likely in CA) in which case the choke can be adjusted or better yet, a manual choke installed.

Second, send him here! Or print out the 65 mods and 100 tips for him.

It stalls when cold, hence the 30-60 second warm up (my dad warms up just enough to avoid engine damage.)
The carburetor needs to be rebuilt, 350,000 miles on OEM equipment kinda degrades performance.

jakobnev 02-23-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

15W-40
I'm sure the car would be happy being welcomed to the new millennium with at least some 5w-40 :rolleyes:

(why does it seem like when a man has children, he immediately becomes afraid of new advancements in engine oil?)

H-Man 02-23-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 357864)
I'm sure the car would be happy being welcomed to the new millennium with at least some 5w-40 :rolleyes:

(why does it seem like when a man has children, he immediately become afraid of new advancements in engine oil?)

I think the engine can handle 5W30 TBH, but I'm not going to bother with it until I give him a taste of better aero since I'm pretty sure it has a far newer block in it.

nemo 02-23-2013 07:11 AM

Unless there is a reason for it 10W30 would be a better choice, than 15W40.

mcrews 02-23-2013 09:21 AM

the oil will not make a noticeable improvement in FE.
I would certainly rebuild the carb.
He seems to be doing the right things.
what is the current mpg?
oh yeah are the tires aired up to 40+ psi

arcosine 02-23-2013 12:38 PM

15W-40 is pretty thick oil, I put 5W-30 in my 91 Corolla 4A-FE, but at 350K who knows if it will knock with thinner oil. You could advance the ignition timing some. I have changed the 175/70R13 to 165/80R15 tires at 44 psi.

H-Man 02-23-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 357876)
the oil will not make a noticeable improvement in FE.
I would certainly rebuild the carb.
He seems to be doing the right things.
what is the current mpg?
oh yeah are the tires aired up to 40+ psi

He says that he gets something in the low thirties, but since he doesn't keep fuel consumption logs, I don't know.
The engine war rebuilt some time ago.

RedDevil 02-23-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-Man (Post 357908)
He says that he gets something in the low thirties, but since he doesn't keep fuel consumption logs, I don't know. ...

Wants better FE without keeping track? That won't work.
Give him a MPGuino or something like that. Achievement will only yield satisfaction with proof.