EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Daily Annoyances (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/daily-annoyances-15994.html)

Arragonis 02-03-2011 08:43 AM

Daily Annoyances

Just wondered if its worth having a daily frustrations thread, what has 'moved your cheese' without permission today? Here's mine.

User at work cannot get into email, his PC went wrong so we don't know his password. So I contact the internet company to get it reset.

The reply is...

"I've changed the password and mailed directly to Alan"

Er ?, Eh ? Wha... Oh.

http://ui17.gamespot.com/2032/facepalmbear_2.jpg

gone-ot 02-03-2011 05:55 PM

...moving someone's "cheese" is akin to juggling handgrenades, you gotta be very careful of "loose pins."

KITT222 02-03-2011 06:05 PM

All I am going to say is, that it must be a Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

bestclimb 02-03-2011 11:23 PM

Have you misplaced your towel?

Anyway today was blessedly devoid of annoyances, unless you count performing the indicated operations and expressing your answers in simplest form.

Arragonis 02-04-2011 04:41 AM

I still think coming down from the trees was a bad idea. Although on the other hand my small, green pieces of paper are quite happy.

My latest annoyance ? You know when it says you can fill up on either side at petrol pumps, it doesn't mean unless you are a fat, lazy pickup driver. Yes you, the guy who held us all up this morning... grrrrrr

Piwoslaw 02-04-2011 07:37 AM

You know really annoys me?
When people start posting about daily annoyances. http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-pi...2566-tease.gif

320touring 02-04-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 218569)
You know really annoys me?
When people start posting about daily annoyances. http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-pi...2566-tease.gif

Heh:D

Re "coming down fron the trrees- I take it you're based either at Morningside (lots of trees) or Sighthill (lots of Monkeys!)

As for annoyances, one letter, one number

M8

Arragonis 02-04-2011 09:15 AM

Barnton but cheap seats I'm afraid.

Plenty of monkeys here, mostly decrepit...

jamesqf 02-04-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 218565)
My latest annoyance ? You know when it says you can fill up on either side at petrol pumps, it doesn't mean unless you are a fat, lazy pickup driver. Yes you, the guy who held us all up this morning... grrrrrr

You know what annoys me? The fact that 1) most US-build vehicles have the gas filler on the wrong side of the car, while most foreign makes have it on the right side; and 2) the d*mn gas stations keep making the hoses shorter, so you can only fill from one side of the pump.

Arragonis 02-05-2011 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 218593)
... and 2) the d*mn gas stations keep making the hoses shorter, so you can only fill from one side of the pump.

I'm finding the opposite, the pipes are plenty long enough. Its just the muppets in the cars won't use them.

jamesqf 02-05-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 218729)
I'm finding the opposite, the pipes are plenty long enough. Its just the muppets in the cars won't use them.

Maybe it's a US thing (or it could only be local - with a 700+ mile range on a tank, I don't often fill up except close to home), but I've noticed it in the several stations I tend to use. And it's not as though it has to be THAT long to reach the other side of an Insight :-)

Arragonis 02-12-2011 04:29 AM

Today's annoyance : laptop touchpads. Why are universally cr@p ?

320touring 02-12-2011 05:48 AM

mainly cause they're a cheap and ineffective way of controlling the poimter:)

Re folk and the fuel pumps-i'll often either jump the queue and go to the pump on the 'wrong side' or gt out the car and 'eloquently' inform the good people in front of me..

Dalkeith tesco used to be terrible for it..

nemo 02-12-2011 07:14 AM

Burnt out brake lights. I guess one out of three working isn't bad. Seems like half the cars on the road have at least one out.

The other day I pull up beside a van and let him know he burnt out brake lights. He said thanks. The van had one working, came on at half power. Seen the van about a week later no change. What does it take to replace some bulbs?

redneck 02-12-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

What does it take to replace some bulbs?

A ticket, usually...

>

Arragonis 02-12-2011 11:42 AM

People who jog.

People who jog not on the pavement but in the road.

People who jog not on the pavement but in the road on the outside of parked cars.

Wearing headphones.

When the pavement is empty.

Sometimes Darwin is just too right.

dcb 02-12-2011 11:54 AM

you might benefit from taking a few deep breaths :) Peds don't bother me a bit, more power to them. The drivers who race to sit at a red light are a daily annoyance though.

wdb 02-12-2011 12:16 PM

Boss who manages a bunch of *nix nerds and knows next to nothing about it himself. This past week our fearless leader decided: a) developers and vendors have no business whatsoever poking around our production systems; 2) if they do need access, he was going to force them to use samba. This was not a discussion, it was a decree.

Problems with this scenario are legion, so let's just list the biggies. 1) Vendors and developers are very, very often our escalation points when things go awry, so cutting off their access is like cutting one's nose off to spite one's face; 2) *nix coupled with keyfob-controlled access does what he wants, does it better, with more granularity, and oh-by-the-way IT'S ALREADY IN PLACE AND HAS BEEN SINCE BEFORE HE WAS BORN.

Thank you, I feel better now.

Arragonis 02-12-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdb (Post 220097)
Thank you, I feel better now.

As a Microsoft certified person I know nothing about this wild hippy stuff (we just turn it off and back on :thumbup:) but in terms of the boss I feel your pain.

But the frustration - that is what this thread is for...

Arragonis 02-12-2011 02:09 PM

PS - Support ecomodder and remove these ads. I have and I am still offered dating. I'm happily married thanks. Nnnnnnghhaaaaa.....

dcb 02-12-2011 04:49 PM

MS windows would be another daily annoyance for me.

nemo 02-12-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 220126)

:thumbup:

jamesqf 02-12-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 220126)

But one easily fixed. Install Linux.

dcb 02-12-2011 09:44 PM

it is entrenched, too many colleagues with windows specific doodads. I use linux whenever I can, but I can't change the other folks to use linux friendly tools and switching takes time, so I usually stay in @#$*#@&%@ windows and wait for the next crash or virus. Linux is relegated to a vm most of the time for me (and to the "real" servers that I work with daily)

nemo 02-13-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 220148)
But one easily fixed. Install Linux.

I run Linux at home, but must use a windows at work.

RobertSmalls 02-13-2011 08:48 AM

Windows doesn't really crash anymore, and I haven't caught a virus at home or at work in many years. My only remaining complaints with Windows are:

*Price. Unlike Linux, it's not free.
*Culture. The people who write applications for Linux expect to give them away for free, and give you the source code as well. Contrast with Windows, where even a hobbyist programmer will make his program closed-source and ask to be paid.
*Planned obsolescence. Windows 2000 was good enough to last 20 years, but it's unsupported, and the drivers are incompatible, so you can't use W2k/XP with newer hardware anymore. This is my biggest beef with MS at the moment.

The product is great (just about flawless), it's just the business model that leaves something to be desired.

Speaking of the Evil Empire, if they would release DirectX for Linux, I'd probably be running that operating system now.

dcb 02-13-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 220194)
Windows doesn't really crash anymore..

I was relatively happy w/xp but recent events have me on vista 64 bit, they reintroduced the crash feature and BSOD...

...and a lot of annoying by the minute confirmation dialogs.

ShadeTreeMech 02-13-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 220195)
I was relatively happy w/xp but recent events have me on vista 64 bit, they reintroduced the crash feature and BSOD...

...and a lot of annoying by the minute confirmation dialogs.

Switch to win 7. I have win 7 pro 64 bit and it is insanely stable. Reminds me of XP on steroids.

Vista was dug out from under Bill Gate's septic tank for sure.

dcb 02-13-2011 09:42 AM

Basically we have to support a wide variety of OS's and I got the short straw this time.

jamesqf 02-13-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 220194)
Speaking of the Evil Empire, if they would release DirectX for Linux, I'd probably be running that operating system now.

OpenGL? And/or CUDA?

Piwoslaw 02-13-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 220079)
Burnt out brake lights. I guess one out of three working isn't bad. Seems like half the cars on the road have at least one out.

Peugeots that burn their position light bulbs more often than many people smoke cigarettes. Supposedly it's something about them getting fried by the voltage at high rpms. Some Pug owners replace their bulbs every 2-3 months. I keep my rpms low, so no problems here, but once Dad-in-law borrowed the car for a weekend and brought it back with 3 burned out position lights:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 220117)
PS - Support ecomodder and remove these ads. I have and I am still offered dating. I'm happily married thanks. Nnnnnnghhaaaaa.....

Maybe EcoModder knows something you don't?;)

Arragonis 02-13-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech (Post 220198)
Switch to win 7. I have win 7 pro 64 bit and it is insanely stable. Reminds me of XP on steroids.

+1 for Win 7 - if I may "get down with the youth" for a moment, it has 'rocked' since the original Beta. I've run Linux on and off since RH5.5 in the 90s but none of them have ever made it as a permanent feature on my boxes, and I'm a dev. Win 7 is MUCH better on my netbooks than Linux too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 220212)
Peugeots that burn their position light bulbs more often than many people smoke cigarettes. Supposedly it's something about them getting fried by the voltage at high rpms. Some Pug owners replace their bulbs every 2-3 months. I keep my rpms low, so no problems here, but once Dad-in-law borrowed the car for a weekend and brought it back with 3 burned out position lights:rolleyes:

We had that issue with our Ovlov - there was a fix of some kind, can't remember if it was software or hardware related as we were falling out with the stealer at the time - but it stopped the monthly bulb replacement dance. Luckily as I could never get the rear ones back in easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 220212)
Maybe EcoModder knows something you don't?;)

The blonde on the left is quite cute, the other one looks kind of like she's been smacked with a ladder...:rolleyes:

Piwoslaw 02-13-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 220218)
The blonde on the left is quite cute, the other one looks kind of like she's been smacked with a ladder...:rolleyes:

Am I missing that? Maybe I should ask them to return my donation?
(I'm happily married, too, but it's OK if I look but don't touch, right Hun?)

Arragonis 02-13-2011 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 220223)
Am I missing that? Maybe I should ask them to return my donation?
(I'm happily married, too, but it's OK if I look but don't touch, right Hun?)

Enjoy.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1297623637

EDIT - I suspect this is not genuine, these have been the latest members for a month :D

gone-ot 02-13-2011 02:06 PM

...like the unnamed American President who "...smoked, but didn't INHALE..."?

Arragonis 02-13-2011 02:09 PM

I preferred the one that said "of course I inhaled, thats the point..."

Piwoslaw 02-13-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 220226)

No way any of them could compete with my Wife. Keep trying.

Arragonis 02-13-2011 02:13 PM

I only use it as an illustration of the ads I see.

Comparisons are up to you ;)

Arragonis 02-13-2011 03:48 PM

Partly an annoyance and partly a question.

Earl Grey Tea - with milk or without ?

Went for a meal at an italian place in Edinburgh this afternoon with friends and asked for one instead of coffee after the meal - I like Earl grey with milk but they served it without.

I know, not really going to bring down China is it ?

Angmaar 02-13-2011 04:00 PM

Needing to use the car is an annoyance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 220208)
OpenGL? And/or CUDA?

I think Linux does support Cuda if you have the latest Nvidia drivers on Linux.