EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   the "Daily Drive" thread - March 2008 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/daily-drive-thread-march-2008-a-1317.html)

MetroMPG 03-07-2008 12:10 PM

the "Daily Drive" thread - March 2008

Post your achievements, frustrations and general info about getting about efficiently in your daily travels.

I guess we skipped doing a February thread.

My latest trip was about 80 km (50mi) of mostly rural highway (light traffic), with about a 45 minute stop in the middle.

88.6 mpg (US)

- -1 C / very light wind
- 1 hour block heater warm-up
- average speed 29 mph
- max. 54 mph

Technique: mostly 3rd gear P&G between 45-65 km/h, with a bit of 2-3 and 3-4 as well.

Daox 03-07-2008 01:16 PM

Just sent my scangauge out to get upgraded this week. Can't wait for the xgauge features!

s2man 03-07-2008 01:40 PM

My mod's last weekend seem to be paying off this week, despite some strong winds. I credit the WAI. But WAI is causing me to relearn my radiator-block vs ambient-temp settings. :)

The Scanguage is reporting 1-2 mpg increase on the 20 mpg hills, and I'm watching the tank average creep up every day. I've been able to maintain my average this winter, but hadn't seen any gains until now. I'm very pleased.

Pillzilla 03-12-2008 04:47 PM

Just started ecomodding

This week with the metro my 50mile one way trip I have been doing about 20-25 miles of Drafting semi's at 60-65 mph. Trying some other new techniques on the 20 mile gravel )averaging 45-50mph )stretch like EOC and coasting in neutral. We will see wha dkind of results I get at fill time.

Gone4 03-12-2008 07:54 PM

I took the '92 corolla out to Tufts University, MIT, and Brown University this weekend while I toured my grad school options and then visited my gf. I drove about 311 miles, maybe 40 of which were city. I never drove those roads so slow, but I squeezed out 34 mpg. I was pretty happy considering I'm new to this and it's an automatic. This summer I may or may not get the car and, if I do, I will instrument it properly and do some mods :D

I've also ridden my bicycle ~42 miles in two shorter rides. If the rain holds off tomorrow I am looking to double that number.

james 03-12-2008 09:15 PM

Our VX has been subjected to rough conditions for the last several months. we live on an unpaved road, and there has been lots of snow. Now it is melting, and you can really feel the drain of energy from the mud. I am averaging mid to upper 40's mpg with a few miles on the mud and then the remainder on rural highways. I think my average would be better but my wife uses the car too, and she is not as obsessive as I am. At least she drives really slow. She sometimes forgets and drives along in 3rd going 50, while talking...and all I can think of is "shift up...shift up".

I don't have the nerve to average 30 mph. I would definately be run off the road...but I have been pushing it these days. This last tank I have been driving 47-50 in a 55mph zone, and then doing just 40-45 mph on the really quiet 55 mph zones. I think the vx is most efficient around 35mph. Really though I cant wait for the weather to get better so I can do some aero mods.

Coyote X 03-12-2008 10:57 PM

http://metroxfi.com/wp-content/uploa...3/100_0136.jpg

My drive is as crazy as always :)

BTW an aluminum can won't hold up to highway driving. I changed over to an old spray can after blowing the back off that can. Possible results friday when I fill up.

RH77 03-13-2008 12:10 AM

Drink

Here's the problem: Mountain Dew Light

Regular Mountain Dew may have done the trick, but the diet version tends to be lighter and more prone to detachment. :p

Honestly -- looking forward to the results. EZ mod, practical results...

RH77

boxchain 03-13-2008 01:14 AM

Fuel gauge hit 1/2 at ~225 this week. I think it was 180 on the first tank and 200 on the last. Might be able to reach 400 to E :D

Thinking about filling up anyway since gas ain't getting any cheaper, and I could start experimenting with more air in the tires. Even though I'm enjoying filling up every 3 weeks instead of 2, I'm trying to get more data until I can get a SG or equiv. (still eyeing the dashdyno, but both are out of reach)

What the hell is that can doing on your exhaust?!? I missed something :confused:

s2man 03-13-2008 04:17 PM

Ugh, just had another average fill up. Dogonnit, SG was reporting good numbers all week. Very disappointing. I found this in another thread today, concerning SG fuel calculations:

Scangauge is reading:
0C - RPM
04 - Load
05 - Engine coolant temp
0B - MAP
0F - Intake air temp

So I think raising the IA and engine temps may have been fooling the SG.

It has been windy though. Maybe the WA helped me maintain status quo. We'll see...