EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   The danger of saving energy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/danger-saving-energy-31785.html)

rmay635703 04-21-2015 01:29 PM

The danger of saving energy

My last WPS bill (gas + electric) was $71.

However I used $6 of electricity and $20 of natural gas.

Now in the summer gas is likely to go down to almost nothing and electricity will likely be in the $8 area (I do not use AC)

Quite nearly $50 in fees for ABSOLUTELY nothing burns my biscuits.

Thought about having the gas disconnected in the summer but alas 5 minutes of work costs $250 so $30 a month in fees it is :(

Ah well, just venting. Sad part is wisconsin lowered electric rates recently (aka cost per KWHR) but then raised fixed fees, nothing like poking the guy who saves energy in the rear.

Cheers
Ryan

KFM 04-21-2015 04:30 PM

That always bothered me. 3/4 of my electric bill is taxes. I could get my bill down into the single digits and still end up paying $60. a month.

campisi 04-21-2015 04:38 PM

boy howdy! It burns me up too. The lions share of my water, gas and e bills are, most months, taxes and fees. Landline phone as well. I did get rid of the landline so there's a 'W' for the little guy!

All that said, it's kind of the nature of anything that requires major infrastructure to deliver. The infrastructure cost didn't go away and you gotta pay to access it, no matter how much of the product you use.

sheepdog 44 04-21-2015 04:53 PM

If you're paying so little why not go off grid? Use those taxes and fees to invest in alternative energy. The less you use the easier it might be?

rmay635703 04-21-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 (Post 476394)
If you're paying so little why not go off grid? Use those taxes and fees to invest in alternative energy. The less you use the easier it might be?

Its a duplex, my landlord is reasonable to a point...
I would need to keep the gas since my stove, building and water are heated by it but...

If it were possible to shut off the gas without paying $250 to do it, I could get by without it starting in 2 weeks through about November on an average season, $150 for an on demand electric device that would just cover the shower and bathroom sink
(but in the summer I can and have taken only ice cold showers so no worries)

Eliminating gas would obviously increase my electric bill but since my alternate cooking devices are efficient and I rarely use hot water I would probably still be golden anyway.

Could likely go off grid if I were allowed to, sadly I don't have that option without extreme ...

Cheers
Ryan

Cd 04-21-2015 09:47 PM

Didn't Monty Python do a skit where they had a fee for adding a fee ?

( I guess that is the same as a 'service fee' )

dirtydave 04-21-2015 10:04 PM

same here $60 of electric $70 in fees.

redpoint5 04-21-2015 10:14 PM

My sewer bill is $37/mo, regardless of use. I asked if I could be "disconnected" from sewer service, and was told that there is no way around paying the monthly sewer bill. The estate will have a lien placed on it if the county doesn't receive their sewer money.

aerostealth 04-22-2015 12:11 AM

We get a deposit made in our bank acct by the utility about 8 months out of the year. We have a summer electric bill due to central AC. We may have a small bill one month in the winter due to low solar production and Xmas lighting. Five point one kilowatts of grid tie PV power with a 8 cent buy back rate makes all the difference.

rmay635703 04-22-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 476436)
Didn't Monty Python do a skit where they had a fee for adding a fee ?

( I guess that is the same as a 'service fee' )

I pay sales tax on fees. :( Some idea I think