EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Dating as a Hypermiler (funny story) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/dating-hypermiler-funny-story-16702.html)

wesman1299 04-04-2011 08:52 PM

Dating as a Hypermiler (funny story)

I thought you all would find this funny.

I recently took a girl on a date in my car. I was trying to drive as 'normal' as possible to avoid the questions, but apparently it wasn't enough because she eventually asked me why I was coasting so much, why I was "driving so slow," and she asked about my Scanguage. Without a good excuse, I told her that I hate spending money on gas and that I log my fuel mileage. Apparently she is not as concerned with fuel economy as I am.

Needless to say if anyone on this forum is a college student, avoid hypermiling on the first date! Hypermiling should be added to Religion and Politics on the list of things to avoid on a first date. Fortunate for me, this date wasn't going too well anyway.

I'm not sure of everyone's age or marital status on here, but has anyone else encountered a similar story? Do you or have you had to sacrifice your fuel economy numbers for the sake of love? Or does your hypermiling drive your significant other crazy?

Ford Man 04-04-2011 09:06 PM

My wife doesn't drive, but she's always anxious to hear about it when I get great mileage. I guess she figures that leaves more of my money for her to spend. lol

Christ 04-04-2011 09:17 PM

My wife isn't as far gone as I am, but she's pretty supportive in that respect.

She gets excited when her tank average its higher than normal, though.

bestclimb 04-04-2011 09:44 PM

Same here with my spouse. Though mine accepted my oddities before I started hypermiling. As far as whether or not to hypermile on the first date...

Depends on your goal of dating.

If it is to get in the sack, then by all means do what is necessary.

If it is to find a life mate...

Someone who does not have an interest in things you enjoy, or at least an acceptance is not someone with whom you will be compatible. Best to find that out early.

Ryland 04-04-2011 09:56 PM

Not dating her, but my room mate and I get along great and she and I both coast our cars out of the drive way and drive the speed limit and if she ever notices her mileage is below 40mpg she comes to me with a sad face and asks what she is doing wrong.
I say if you do meet a girl who doesn't mind how you drive then keep dating her! it's a value and interest that you see as important.

Frank Lee 04-04-2011 10:07 PM

I can't believe mine actually expresses interest in my wacko fe ideas and napkin inventions; she asks me to explain them and by golly she's not just pretending to listen; she asks the appropriate questions/makes the appropriate comments/observations until the entire concept is understood!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: My earlier GFs would have nothing to do with it, or at best pretend to listen... kinda like I did when they were talking jewelry or some such.

bestclimb 04-04-2011 11:46 PM

A spousal related hypermiling "issue" I get worse mileage when she is in the car in the winter. I keep the engine running for heat more because she gets cold.

Thymeclock 04-05-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestclimb (Post 229894)
A spousal related hypermiling "issue" I get worse mileage when she is in the car in the winter. I keep the engine running for heat more because she gets cold.

Nah, that's not it at all. It's the extra weight. She adds at least 100 pounds to the vehicle, and that is affecting your FE. ;)

Thymeclock 04-05-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesman1299 (Post 229847)
I thought you all would find this funny.

I recently took a girl on a date in my car. I was trying to drive as 'normal' as possible to avoid the questions, but apparently it wasn't enough because she eventually asked me why I was coasting so much, why I was "driving so slow," and she asked about my Scanguage. Without a good excuse, I told her that I hate spending money on gas and that I log my fuel mileage. Apparently she is not as concerned with fuel economy as I am.

Needless to say if anyone on this forum is a college student, avoid hypermiling on the first date! Hypermiling should be added to Religion and Politics on the list of things to avoid on a first date. Fortunate for me, this date wasn't going too well anyway.

Might as well put a sign on your forehead that says "cheapskate". This comes under the heading of chick repellent.

bestclimb 04-05-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 229899)
Nah, that's not it at all. It's the extra weight. She adds at least 100 pounds to the vehicle, and that is affecting your FE. ;)

LOL

That is not a productive area of discussion.

Besides the increase in potential energy at the beginning of the glide nearly cancels out the increase in energy needed to accelerate the mass during the pulse.

Also I note that the decrease in mileage with Wife in the car is much much higher in the winter than in the summer.

I think this is true, and even if it is not, that IS the theory we operate under.