EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   The Decline of the Manual... But a Glimmer of Hope? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/decline-manual-but-glimmer-hope-30194.html)

darcane 10-08-2014 08:17 PM

The Decline of the Manual... But a Glimmer of Hope?

Very telling article on the quantity of manual transmissions out there.
The decline of manual transmissions in two graphs — and proof they're coming back

Particularly in this graph:
https://s2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/e...eenshot_81.jpg

Quote:

The numbers are the gears; the letters "L" and "A" are for automatics, with "L" standing for those with a lockup torque converter, the standard in most vehicles. The green section for "M" shows how modern five-speed manuals peaked around 1987 for cars at 25 percent and in 1990 for trucks at roughly 30 percent, before the great decline set in.
In 2011, a mere 311,618 manuals were produced. :(

The good news? By model year 2013, it was up to 452,232

redpoint5 10-08-2014 08:48 PM

I'm always interested in statistics and charts. Thanks for sharing.

I consider myself lucky to have one of the rare 6-speeds found in less than 6% of the TSXs sold... if only they would make the 6th gear tall like they made in the 5-speed automatic.

bhazard 10-08-2014 09:00 PM

Interesting that there were still 3-speed manuals available into what looks like the 90's...I wonder what trucks had that option?

H-Man 10-08-2014 09:22 PM

If I can swap a transaxle out of the 5th gen FWD corolla into my car, I'll have a 5th gear tall enough for me to do 2900 RPM at 75 MPH with 185/65/R15s. Manuals are going to die around the same time human driven cars do.

Frank Lee 10-08-2014 09:28 PM

40 years ago the '76 models were THE LAST CONVERTIBLES.

Oops. :rolleyes:

Cobb 10-09-2014 04:12 AM

Interesting..... and I was reading an article how Dodge made a mistake offering the dart with a manual and how they only sold 6 units. :eek:

fusion210 10-09-2014 05:30 AM

I taught my 16 and 14 year old nephews how to drive a manual in a school parking lot a couple years ago.

Later I asked them if they'd rather have an auto or manual and they both said auto, even though neither so much as stalled the car.

fusion210 10-09-2014 05:34 AM

Interestingly enough, my nieces are now 16 and 14, maybe they'll take over since women are taking over.

digital rules 10-09-2014 06:41 AM

Manuals don't stand a chance with young drivers now that smartphones are here. Playing with the phone is much more important than actually having to drive the car.

MetroMPG 10-09-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Interesting that there were still 3-speed manuals available into what looks like the 90's
Yeah, that's interesting. Ancient technology along with the 3-speed automatic slushers that the Metro/Suzukiclones had right up to 2001. Shame on them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusion210 (Post 449643)
I taught my 16 and 14 year old nephews how to drive a manual in a school parking lot a couple years ago.

I'm doing the same with my 16 year old nephew now. I'm not sure which transmission he likes more just yet. He seems to enjoy the challenge (he loves driving in general), but afterward he said very seriously: "I didn't realize how much more there was to think about to drive a standard."

darcane 10-09-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 449584)
40 years ago the '76 models were THE LAST CONVERTIBLES.

Oops. :rolleyes:

I hope that is repeated with the last manual trannies in light duty pickups (as of '09 or so?)

cosmick 10-09-2014 03:54 PM

I love driving a manual, I love not having every automatic fail me sooner or later, but I extremely hate the lack of good manuals in the salvage yards. There's no getting a used T56 for under $ 1500. And that's if you can find one.
Like an idiot I sold the new F40-MT2 I got for $ 400 back when GM had surplused from the '06 G6 GT 3.9L, how stupid was that? I was desperate, but now those can't be had at any price.

Xist 10-09-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digital rules (Post 449649)
Manuals don't stand a chance with young drivers now that smartphones are here. Playing with the phone is much more important than actually having to drive the car.

They say that texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving. How about this: 5,190 alcohol-related crashes in Arizona during 2,013, out of 107,348--4.8%. Motor-vehicle crash fatalities rose in 2013

How many were texting?

redpoint5 10-09-2014 08:19 PM

My wife is a pro with a manual, and even has efficient driving practices, but she still prefers the auto because it's easier for her to eat breakfast in the car on her way to work.

I used to eat, shave, and brush my teeth while rowing the gears in stop and go traffic, opening the door to dump the whiskers and spit. Of course, I am a pro at knee driving :p I can hold a more steady line around a corner with knee driving than the typical motorist.

I'm not advocating these things, just sharing my previous experience. I also see no reason why texting should cause more accidents, but obviously it does. Holding the phone out in front and taking quick glances is similar in the amount of time it takes to check mirrors, so I would think it would have a similar amount of risk. It seems people spend more than a quick glance looking at their phones, and do so while in close traffic.

Xist 10-10-2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 449722)
I'm not advocating these things, just sharing my previous experience. I also see no reason why texting should cause more accidents, but obviously it does. Holding the phone out in front and taking quick glances is similar in the amount of time it takes to check mirrors, so I would think it would have a similar amount of risk. It seems people spend more than a quick glance looking at their phones, and do so while in close traffic.

"More than 5,000 people die each year as a result of being distracted while driving"
"Among the various distractions, [...] texting while driving was particularly perilous. A 2009 study focusing on drivers of larger vehicles and trucks concluded that texting raised the risk of a crash by 23 times compared with nondistracted driving."

Is it not quite as dangerous in cars?

"Shockingly, texting drivers took their eyes off the road for each text an average of 4.6 seconds -- which at 55 mph"

Speed limits on most freeways here are 65 MPH, so everybody drives 75, and therefore would travel 506 feet in 4.6 seconds.

"A Harris poll last year found that [...] 37 percent said they engaged in texting."
Texting Drivers Take Eyes Off Road 5 Seconds On Average: Study

How about the friend that asks me why I did not respond to her Facebook post, so I pull out my phone, answer, and then she pulls out hers, and responds, while I keep saying "No! It is not important! You are driving! It can wait!"

At least her 90 Civic is a smaller "guided" missile, unlike the Suburban and minivan that she was driving, not that it would do me any good if she finally hits something.

I have usually been able to type on my phone without looking at it, but I am not sure how much that actually helps.

redpoint5 10-10-2014 01:47 AM

I believe I was rear-ended by a kid that was texting. He said his foot slipped off the clutch of his Ford Ranger, but that doesn't affect the foot doing the braking. Based on the damage, I would estimate he was doing about 25mph, which was the speed limit and I was stopped at a red light. In other words, no attempt to slow was made.

It was my birthday, and his insurance ended up buying the 1996 Legacy with 245,000 miles on it for $2,500. Just the birthday present I wanted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 449746)
"Shockingly, texting drivers took their eyes off the road for each text an average of 4.6 seconds -- which at 55 mph"

That is shocking. I can't imagine 4.6 seconds is the average. That means that half the texters take their eyes off the road for longer than 4.6 seconds! Much longer than a quick glance, as if checking the mirrors.

Quote:

I have usually been able to type on my phone without looking at it, but I am not sure how much that actually helps.
It used to be easier to type without looking, but I haven't been able to do it since owning a touch screen. The ol' Blackberry was a breeze to touch type.

wdb 10-10-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 449680)
I hope that is repeated with the last manual trannies in light duty pickups (as of '09 or so?)

Toyota Tacoma can still be purchased new with a manual. If you want a regular cab (2 doors only, not extended cab or 4-door) though, you had better go get one now; those will not be offered in 2015.

darcane 10-10-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdb (Post 449796)
Toyota Tacoma can still be purchased new with a manual. If you want a regular cab (2 doors only, not extended cab or 4-door) though, you had better go get one now; those will not be offered in 2015.

I was thinking full-size trucks, but forgot to type it. The Colorado/Canyon also still has a manual.

I thought the heavy duty full size trucks do as well... but a quick check yielded nothing from either Ford or Chevy, however Dodge still has the optional manual behind a Cummins.

MetroMPG 10-10-2014 07:15 PM

'Optional' manual? Does that mean their 'standard' transmission is really an automatic? :P

darcane 10-10-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 449869)
'Optional' manual? Does that mean their 'standard' transmission is really an automatic? :P

Bah, manuals are no longer the "standard" tranny for anything.

ECONORAM 10-10-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 449680)

Yeah, you could get Dodge/RAM half-tons in 2009 with a stick, but that was only 10% of fleet production. I never did find one when I bought my '07. Now you can only get an HD truck with a Cummins with a stick. Everything else is a slush box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmick (Post 449690)
I love driving a manual, I love not having every automatic fail me sooner or later, but I extremely hate the lack of good manuals in the salvage yards. There's no getting a used T56 for under $ 1500. And that's if you can find one.

Ditto. I grew up on manuals, taught my daughter how to drive one. I plan to teach my grandkids as well. I've searched and can't find a decent used one[edit, T56] for under $2K. At that price, you might as well shell out a few hundred more and get a new one from American Powertrain or something. I'd like to find an NV3500 or Getrag 238 salvage to swap into my truck, but the last ones I found in the spring have already sold. A guy on DodgeTalk did a T56 tranny swap and got another 2 mpg, he told me.
By the way, all these autos mean that most car thieves don't know how to drive a stick shift. :thumbup:

Simonas 10-11-2014 01:31 PM

For the discussion on texting and driving:

Even if one looks at his phone for as long as he looks at his mirror, it is still different than looking at the mirror. The mind does not change its thought pattern very much when looking at the mirror, whereas the texting is a huge jump. No longer is defensive driving the goal, but rather driving and thinking about what is going on at work or at home. If you run into someone while looking at your mirrors, you will still have a much better reaction time than when texting.

Fat Charlie 10-13-2014 08:16 AM

Ram 1500s haven't had manuals since 08, the last year of the DR body.

ECONORAM 10-13-2014 06:06 PM

Hmm, maybe I was thinking of 09 dakotas.

redpoint5 10-13-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonas (Post 449925)
The mind does not change its thought pattern very much when looking at the mirror, whereas the texting is a huge jump. No longer is defensive driving the goal, but rather driving and thinking about what is going on at work or at home.

I had my cellphone connected to a handsfree system on my motorcycle for exactly 1 day. During my first phone conversation, I found that my ability to focus on the many tasks involved in riding was diminished to a point that I was uncomfortable.

That said, I believe active braking systems will be a standard feature in 5 years. The incidence of collisions will plummet by the end of the decade. As always, people will not get better, rather the technology will.

Fat Charlie 10-14-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECONORAM (Post 450204)
Hmm, maybe I was thinking of 09 dakotas.

Yeah, 09 was the last year the Dakota had a manual- but only if you got the 3.7 engine. And probably manual windows, no AC, etc.

101Volts 10-18-2014 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 449746)
"More than 5,000 people die each year as a result of being distracted while driving"
"Among the various distractions, [...] texting while driving was particularly perilous. A 2009 study focusing on drivers of larger vehicles and trucks concluded that texting raised the risk of a crash by 23 times compared with nondistracted driving."

Is it not quite as dangerous in cars?

Speed limits on most freeways here are 65 MPH, so everybody drives 75, and therefore would travel 506 feet in 4.6 seconds.

"A Harris poll last year found that [...] 37 percent said they engaged in texting."
Texting Drivers Take Eyes Off Road 5 Seconds On Average: Study

How about the friend that asks me why I did not respond to her Facebook post, so I pull out my phone, answer, and then she pulls out hers, and responds, while I keep saying "No! It is not important! You are driving! It can wait!"

At least her 90 Civic is a smaller "guided" missile, unlike the Suburban and minivan that she was driving, not that it would do me any good if she finally hits something.

Has she never seen "Wheels of Tragedy" from 1963? That's a good, awesome film. I recommend it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 450226)
That said, I believe active braking systems will be a standard feature in 5 years. The incidence of collisions will plummet by the end of the decade. As always, people will not get better, rather the technology will.

My Grandfather was born in the late 1920s and was a truck driver for most of the time when working. He lived through the 1950s to even the early 2000s as a truck driver, and apparently a very good one since he lived through all that and is still around to talk about it. And I heard this from a car inspector; Grandfather was doing overtime, and that may be normal for some people but my Granddad was doing triples. I haven't talked about this sort of thing with my Grandfather much and trucking companies have put in regulations now, but would you suggest I go talk to my grandfather about things like this? The thought of writing a book about it like the Foxfire books even came to mind. Hm, That's actually a good idea; Is anyone else interested? I think a lot of younger drivers can benefit from it.

UltArc 10-18-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 450226)
I had my cellphone connected to a handsfree system on my motorcycle for exactly 1 day. During my first phone conversation, I found that my ability to focus on the many tasks involved in riding was diminished to a point that I was uncomfortable.

And we become MORE reliant on technology (as a people, not US here).

JasonG 10-19-2014 09:56 PM

I remember once watching a valet try to park my one ton diesel manual truck.
After stalling it numerous times he just got out.
My dad and mom were behind me in his decked out dually. Dad says out the window "same transmission".
We both pulled past two spots and simultaneously backed both trucks in.
My wife, watching from the valet stand, said it looked like synchronized swimming.
The valet still had his mouth open when dad and I walked up.
We felt bad though and gave him a nice tip anyway.
Nowadays, that would never happen.

freebeard 10-20-2014 02:15 AM

I saw a kid driving down the street with his hands at 11:30 and 12:30, holding a "smart" phone. He could see everywhere except where his car was going.

/I guess that's off-topic. Sorry.

ECONORAM 10-20-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonG (Post 451004)
I remember once watching a valet try to park my one ton diesel manual truck.
After stalling it numerous times he just got out.
My dad and mom were behind me in his decked out dually. Dad says out the window "same transmission".
We both pulled past two spots and simultaneously backed both trucks in.
My wife, watching from the valet stand, said it looked like synchronized swimming.
The valet still had his mouth open when dad and I walked up.
We felt bad though and gave him a nice tip anyway.
Nowadays, that would never happen.

I'd have liked seeing that transpire...

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 451022)
I saw a kid driving down the street with his hands at 11:30 and 12:30, holding a "smart" phone. He could see everywhere except where his car was going.

/I guess that's off-topic. Sorry.

Unfortunately, it's more and more common today. I'm certain it takes a lot of attention off of driving, more so than shifting gears. Redpoint's right; it is distracting. I remember the first time I tried to call and drive; I had to hang up 'cuz I nearly ran off the road.
By the way, hands at 1130 and 1230 isn't fooling anyone but him.

This makes me ask the question, what is it exactly that is driving manufacturers to shove out more slush boxes? I remember hearing that Dodge (a couple years back) had done a survey saying more folks wanted autos, but they didn't ask me... I understand technology is making autos better; maybe that's part of it.
*So, does anyone think there's a market for a business swapping slush boxes for manuals? Could help spur the movement...

Xist 10-20-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 450820)
And we become MORE reliant on technology (as a people, not US here).

As I am trying to get a OBD-II bluetooth dongle to work with my smartphone... :p

redpoint5 10-20-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECONORAM (Post 451144)
This makes me ask the question, what is it exactly that is driving manufacturers to shove out more slush boxes?

All cars used to be manual shifting, and automatic transmissions were a luxury feature.

Americans Humans are lazy (I have a Roomba and Neato), and not shifting a gearbox is easier than shifting one.

The manufacturers don't push autos, the consumers do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 451149)
As I am trying to get a OBD-II bluetooth dongle to work with my smartphone... :p

I just installed the pro version of Torque on my phone after having smashed my UG in the door jam. Can't say I miss the UG anymore...

Smart phones can be had for $10 new, and the Elm237 can be purchased for less than $10, so for less than 20 bucks, anyone driving a 1996 or newer car can have a fantastic gauge.

Good luck Xist!

darcane 10-21-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 451152)
All cars used to be manual shifting, and automatic transmissions were a luxury feature.

Americans Humans are lazy (I have a Roomba and Neato), and not shifting a gearbox is easier than shifting one.

Exactly. If the manufacturer makes a pile of manual vehicles and they don't sell, they are going to cut back the following year. Rinse and repeat until the manual is dead.

They aren't catering to people who are fiscally conservative either. Most of us on this site buy only used cars because we can't/won't pay the price of a new car. Many economy cars are getting near $20k now, so what's a little more to fit it with an automatic, right? You're financing the darn thing for 7 years, so you'll hardly notice!

MetroMPG 10-21-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 451152)

I don't think it's that cut & dry: I'm the epitome of lazy in most things, but I love shifting gears myself. Even in city driving it makes the drive much more enjoyable (disclaimer: I rarely face stop & crawl).

Quote:

The way they're marketed (here at least), there's more profit in automatics. That's a big incentive to steer ambivalent purchasers into them.

redpoint5 10-21-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 451248)
I don't think it's that cut & dry: I'm the epitome of lazy in most things, but I love shifting gears myself. Even in city driving it makes the drive much more enjoyable (disclaimer: I rarely face stop & crawl).

The way they're marketed (here at least), there's more profit in automatics. That's a big incentive to steer ambivalent purchasers into them.

I, too, enjoy rowing my own despite a love for all things automation. However, if automatics were economically advantageous, I would choose them instead of a manual. My primary reason for choosing a 6-speed manual was the economics of the fuel savings. The secondary reason was fun. I'd gladly trade fun for convenience if automatics outperformed manual operation.

We disagree on what is the most significant factor in the decline of manual transmissions.

The majority of people I know under 30 don't know how to drive a manual. Likely the reason is that they started off driving an automatic, since they are easier to learn. Then, they never bothered to learn manual shifting. The older people I know prefer an automatic because older people tend to prefer simplicity.

Finally, automatic transmissions have made great improvements over the years. Automatics used to have fewer gears, shift more harshly, burn up, get worse fuel economy, and transmit less power to the wheels when compared to a manual. These disadvantages have mostly been overcome with modern designs.

MetroMPG 10-21-2014 07:07 PM

I'm in violent agreement with you: there are multiple reasons for what's happening.

freebeard 10-21-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

I'm in violent agreement with you...
Don't Tase me, bro — but I want to go with no clutch and no transmission, like the Telsa. According to Teslarati, they added a feature called Creep, so it would act more like an automatic.

What it’s like to drive a transmission-less Tesla

Fat Charlie 10-22-2014 08:23 AM

What most people call efficiency is actually applied laziness. Shifting your own gears may look like more work but it's actually the easiest way to get the car to do what you want it to do when you tell it to do it. Being helpless in a car while the TCM figures out what you want and then waiting for the hydraulics to catch up once they finally get told what to do is no fun, and trying to game that system by hitting the gas way before you want to actually move is nerve wracking.

Just let me pick what gear the car's in. It's a lot easier that way.

samwichse 10-22-2014 04:18 PM

Those charts tell me the people driving modern trucks are a bunch of weenies.

The only place I'll take my automatic is in a tractor, please (hydrostatic for the Brush Hog win!).