EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Developed for winter commuting (but now I run 'em year around) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/developed-winter-commuting-but-now-i-run-em-10529.html)

Frank Lee 10-08-2009 07:43 PM

Developed for winter commuting (but now I run 'em year around)

Really helps retain heat while it waits for you in the parking lot. Should help when using block heater too.

This one's old. There is virtually no clearance between the high bits and the hood so I couldn't run a thicker material.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...upeblanket.jpg

V2: nice 1" foil faced foam. :thumbup:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...150blanket.jpg

vtec-e 10-09-2009 04:35 AM

Super toasty! It looks quick to change out too, keeping losses to a minimum.

ollie

Frank Lee 10-09-2009 05:06 AM

I know it works cuz when combined with a good grille block:

*in brutal winter temps, it goes off fast idle much more quickly

*effective defrost is available almost immediately

*after several hours of being parked I can crack open the hood a bit and stick my hand in there and still feel the heat

*I can see, if the car has been snowed on or frosted up, that the hood now stays completely snowy/frosted but really melts clear at the gaps. I've made no effort to seal the gaps as of yet.

The cardboard blanket also doubles as a nice creeper substitute out on the road.

I know I could find a more insulative material for the car- or apply my own foil to that cardboard- but it seems to work well the way it is. The truck blanket definitely does the job.

Daox 10-09-2009 08:59 AM

I love the foil face foam. I'd love to use something like that in the Prius. With as much as it drives around with the engine off, coolant temps can plummet very fast.

shovel 10-09-2009 11:24 AM

As a Phoenix resident, who rode his bicycle to work today in 501's and a T-shirt... I would like to just say you northern folks are crazy. ;)

RobertSmalls 10-09-2009 11:56 AM

I just walled off my living room with foil-backed foam board, and it says right on the board that it's combustible. It melts at 240°C, ignites at 350°C, and evolves toxic fumes. Cardboard ignites around 230°C.

I like it, just make sure there's zero chance of it contacting the exhaust.

RobertSmalls 10-09-2009 11:57 AM

And I love the quart of oil under the hood. Every engine bay should come with a cupholder for a bottle of oil.

Nevyn 10-09-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 132825)
I just walled off my living room with foil-backed foam board, and it says right on the board that it's combustible. It melts at 240°C, ignites at 350°C, and evolves toxic fumes. Cardboard ignites around 230°C.

That was going to be my question too. Wouldn't driving with it on be...hazardous at best, and at worst a car fire?

Christ 10-09-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevyn (Post 132835)
That was going to be my question too. Wouldn't driving with it on be...hazardous at best, and at worst a car fire?

Isn't driving in general a hazard?

The foil backed foam is designed to reflect heat, so long as it's not touching hot bits directly, it's not so much of a problem.

The cardboard will dissipate it's own heat faster than it will pick it up from the engine. Don't believe me, put a dollar bill over the back of your hand tightly, then light a match and let it sit there. It won't burn you until it burns through the bill, which won't happen, because the match doesn't have enough fuel to heat the air around it, and still heat the paper in the bill as fast as it will dissipate the heat.

Frank Lee 10-09-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

I love the foil face foam. I'd love to use something like that in the Prius. With as much as it drives around with the engine off, coolant temps can plummet very fast.
Do it!

Quote:

As a Phoenix resident, who rode his bicycle to work today in 501's and a T-shirt... I would like to just say you northern folks are crazy.
We are crazy. It's snowing as I type! :mad: I don't like winter anymore. I need to get outta here.

Quote:

Ain't no hot bits on top; ain't no blankie hanging down.

Quote:

And I love the quart of oil under the hood. Every engine bay should come with a cupholder for a bottle of oil.
L O L ! You noticed my invention! I've custom fabbed 'em for all my stuff. You should see what's concealed under the foam! :eek:

Quote:

I've had these for 10 years now and nothing has spontaneously combusted yet. Although I hear that happens to people now and again.

Quote:

put a dollar bill over the back of your hand tightly, then light a match and let it sit there.
No way am I risking a dollar bill on that Man! I'ms too cheap. ;)