EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Diamond Lube (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diamond-lube-22446.html)

YeahPete 07-02-2012 03:26 PM

Diamond Lube
 
I came across this web site: http://www.diamondlube.com/

I was wondering if anyone tried this?

3n3rgystar 07-02-2012 04:35 PM

A quick google search turns up evidence of false claims.

Flakbadger 07-02-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YeahPete (Post 314883)
I came across this web site: Nano-Technology Breakthrough

I was wondering if anyone tried this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3n3rgystar (Post 314903)
A quick google search turns up evidence of false claims.

Generally speaking YeahPete, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. 15% increase in horsepower? I doubt it.
Synthetic oil is about the best you can do for your vehicle, though I doubt it gives you 15% either.
I think diamond lube is probably just another great marketing strategy.

RobbMeeX 07-03-2012 12:17 AM

Its intended for "her" pleasure.

Piwoslaw 07-03-2012 01:07 AM

I doubt that getting rid of all of the friction in the whole engine would give 15%, let alone just replacing the lube.
Parked in the U Corral.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbMeeX (Post 314966)
Its intended for "her" pleasure.

Diamonds are a woman's best friend;)

DiamondLube 10-09-2013 01:45 AM

The claims are real, and the US Army has issued NanoLube, Inc a Mil Spec after 3.5 years of intense testing for weapons, but the diamond coating works on everything.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3n3rgystar (Post 314903)
A quick google search turns up evidence of false claims.


3n3rgystar 10-09-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Prevent Wear and Increase MPG 21% - 35%
Proven to Reduce SOOT in the oil by 50% or more
NanoMolecular protection against friction, wear & sludge buildup
Ok if it works then it shouldn't be too hard to show total empirical proof of those claims in short notice.

euromodder 10-09-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondLube (Post 394730)
The claims are real, and the US Army has issued NanoLube, Inc a Mil Spec after 3.5 years of intense testing for weapons, but the diamond coating works on everything.

From their website :
Quote:

Bronze ATM® Small Auto Kit $100.00 5-10% MPG Increase
Silver ATM® +P Small Auto Kit $150.00 10-30% MPG Increase
Gold MPG™ Small Auto Kit $400.00 15-30% MPG Increase
Platinum +MPG™ Small Auto Kit $600.00 21-35% MPG Increase or higher in a ONE TIME Treatment.
Those are pretty stiff claims - which not surprisingly make many folks on here rather sceptical , and that's when you end up in the Unicorn Corral.

But stiff claims should be easily verifiable when tested by some of the more experienced testers on ecomodder. Even a Silver kit should yield 10%, that's a very noticeable increase when tested under relatively stable, but real world test conditions.

How about making a set available for one of those testers ?
I'm pretty sure there will be somebody willing to try it.

shovel 10-16-2013 03:57 PM

round diamonds eh? think they're fullerenes?

https://sesres.com/Fullerene.asp

mcrews 10-16-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondLube (Post 394730)
The claims are real, and the US Army has issued NanoLube, Inc a Mil Spec after 3.5 years of intense testing for weapons, but the diamond coating works on everything.

Hey diamondlube it's been one week.......any follow up response?:confused:

gone-ot 10-17-2013 07:09 PM

P.S.--lubricating a gun or cannon is not the same as lubricating an engine.

bestclimb 10-21-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 395885)
P.S.--lubricating a gun or cannon is not the same as lubricating an engine.

That and meeting milspec for a weapons lube is not all that special.

DiamondLube 12-12-2013 11:49 PM

Sorry about the delay. The Space Co bearing company in Japan tested COFof DiamondLube and rated it at .0008 - Teflon is .04 so...

By treating everything that moves on a semi, what else could happen?

Someone mentioned that testing should be easy, but it gets tricky when the tester wants to keep the results secret because it gives them the edge. Like treating the Chicago Wolves Hockey teams skates. One treatment eliminated Ice Steel contact and the results were instantaneous - no blade sharpening required, faster skating and longer glide times. How long will the skates go without sharpening, they want to keep it secret and wont call me back. Got video of their sewing machine before and after too, same thing - faster as usual. Check out ebay.com look for ICE SKATE LUBE.

BTW, I don't have a lubricant which seems to confuse people, I have a diamond coating that is self lubricating which is something nobody else has seen before, including ARGONNE that said my material was unknown before I sent them a sample.

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 314973)
I doubt that getting rid of all of the friction in the whole engine would give 15%, let alone just replacing the lube.
Parked in the U Corral.


Diamonds are a woman's best friend;)


markweatherill 12-13-2013 04:53 AM

I know diamonds are not really made from coal but they are pretty much carbon, right? So, like, coal dust in your oil should work the same. As long as it's ground up real good.

DiamondLube 12-13-2013 06:29 AM

The proof it works is right on the webpage with the racer winning his first race ever. I have a dyno sheet on the testing page showing a 20% increase in HP and no negative feedback on ebay.

Its a shame that basic understanding of science in the USA hast been lost over the years. Someone said that scraping the burnt bread off toast should increase fuel economy if added to oil because that's carbon too. I didn't realize where I was, cancel my membership please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 395885)
P.S.--lubricating a gun or cannon is not the same as lubricating an engine.


redneck 12-13-2013 08:31 AM

There may be something to this.


The properties and applications of nanodiamonds

http://web.ornl.gov/sci/first/public...4VMochalin.pdf


Tribology and lubrication. (bottom of page 19)

Quote:

Tribology and lubrication The addition of diamond-containing detonation soot to lubricants49 decreases fuel consumption by ~5% and makes engines last longer. It was assumed that this happened because the graphite in the soot lubricated while the nanodiamonds reduced friction by polishing away asperities on sliding surfaces. However, purified nanodiamond itself provides enhanced tribological performance when dispersed alone or with polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) or metal nanoparticles in greases or oils116. Initially it was assumed that the nanodiamonds acted as ‘ball bearings’, but this has not been confirmed as universal in more recent studies117, which suggests that different lubrication mechanisms could be at work in different systems. For example, embedding nanodiamond from a lubricant into a carbon steel surface may explain reduced friction and wear, whereas the wear mechanism for an aluminium alloy is dominated by the viscosity of the nanodiamond suspension117.
The versatile surface chemistry of nanodiamond means that it can be tailored so that it disperses in a variety of different systems, including oil and water118. Carbon onions can also act as an efficient lubricant119, probably owing to the microscopic ball-bearing action. Overall, lubrication is more complex than it seems at first, but it is reasonable to assume that both nanodiamonds and carbon onions embedded into metal surfaces separate the sliding surfaces and prevent wear caused by metal–metal adhesion.



Definition of Tribology

Tribology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia




>

Fat Charlie 12-13-2013 08:34 AM

Microdermabrasion for my engine is a great idea, but the diamond stuff is pricey. KaleCoAuto has something similar for a lot less.

RustyLugNut 12-13-2013 02:45 PM

Not even the same thing.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 402870)
Microdermabrasion for my engine is a great idea, but the diamond stuff is pricey. KaleCoAuto has something similar for a lot less.

DiamondLube has a lot to prove, but he is right on one thing, the level of understanding sometimes displayed on this forum is appalling.

On a side note, nano diamonds are not the only material to display lubricant qualities at the nano scale. I have used Nano titanium powders imbedded on 1020 steel gear sets in prototype testing (as a test of fit and function ) and have found they exhibit negligible wear after 100 hour test runs. The gear sets were not hardened so this is very surprising. I cannot say they reduced friction as that was not measured and a heavy silicon oil was used as the carrier lubricant.

mcrews 12-13-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyLugNut (Post 402905)
DiamondLube has a lot to prove, but he is right on one thing, the level of understanding sometimes displayed on this forum is appalling.

.

ummm.....it's a forum.......not a Ph.D study group. :rolleyes:

In the world of forums there are several levels. Ecomodder is in the 'general' level. Not 'academic' or 'professional'. At the general level I would say we are at least top 10%.
Come on.......buck up. Filter thru the crap and keep plowing. :thumbup:

Fat Charlie 12-13-2013 03:06 PM

It's just a high level of skepticism, especially towards unproven claims. Of products being sold to individuals from websites. Instead of to car companies who would probably be buying it by the case.

RustyLugNut 12-13-2013 03:39 PM

Skepticism is warranted.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 402908)
It's just a high level of skepticism, especially towards unproven claims. Of products being sold to individuals from websites. Instead of to car companies who would probably be buying it by the case.

But to link to a product that is the modern equivalent of "Marvel Mystery Oil" shows an utter lack of understanding of the topic in question. You punctuated DiamondLube's point. It is better to not post if you don't have an understanding of the subject at hand.

mcrews 12-13-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyLugNut (Post 402911)
But to link to a product that is the modern equivalent of "Marvel Mystery Oil" shows an utter lack of understanding of the topic in question. You punctuated DiamondLube's point. It is better to not post if you don't have an understanding of the subject at hand.

False argument.

you assume a perfect world.

Maybe he really doesn't know that he doesn't understand.......:confused:

Your solution is that all the 'uninformed' sit back and be quite.... let us 'smarter' :cool: people teach you......:rolleyes:

see previous post....."it's a forum.....":thumbup:

RustyLugNut 12-13-2013 03:49 PM

I am in the position to filter through this pile.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 402906)
ummm.....it's a forum.......not a Ph.D study group. :rolleyes:

In the world of forums there are several levels. Ecomodder is in the 'general' level. Not 'academic' or 'professional'. At the general level I would say we are at least top 10%.
Come on.......buck up. Filter thru the crap and keep plowing. :thumbup:

As you have pointed out, this forum is at that general level. I simply bring up the salient point that there is a whole science based around nano particle interactions to help the reader along. Otherwise the reader sees nothing but crap. There has to be a balance.

RustyLugNut 12-13-2013 04:02 PM

It works both ways.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 402912)
False argument.

you assume a perfect world.

Maybe he really doesn't know that he doesn't understand.......:confused:

Your solution is that all the 'uninformed' sit back and be quite.... let us 'smarter' :cool: people teach you......:rolleyes:

see previous post....."it's a forum.....":thumbup:

Because it is an open forum, I get to have my say. I simply choose to write about subjects I have expertise and experience in. Many others on this forum do the same. Many others do not. I understand that is the way things are. But a little correction is needed at times.

I suggest we get back to the subject at hand . . . nano lubricants.

DiamondLube 12-15-2013 03:45 PM

I approached GM and Ford first, however they refused to consider it. Think replacement parts that are not needed, that is one side effect. Life wear testing at a well known Knife company tested my coating over steel on steel and discovered my coating lasted 30 times longer than their oil and the steel showed no wear, however the machine broke from running too long. You really want to see something that might make sense if you think about it, go to ebay.com and look up ICE SKATE LUBE and I already know an ice skate is not an engine, so don't say it. On the other hand steel that resists wear has to get help from Something. Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 402908)
It's just a high level of skepticism, especially towards unproven claims. Of products being sold to individuals from websites. Instead of to car companies who would probably be buying it by the case.


Fat Charlie 12-16-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyLugNut (Post 402913)
I am in the position to filter through this pile.

I think you're due for a filter change. I linked to a joke product at a joke website.

RustyLugNut 12-16-2013 12:05 PM

Please discuss.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 403114)
I think you're due for a filter change. I linked to a joke product at a joke website.

You have not tested the product and you have not given any discussion of why it should not work. There is good basis for discussion.

Discuss the science possibilities. Discuss the claims. I am as skeptical about the claims made by DiamondLube, but there is basis for this technology.

gone-ot 12-16-2013 12:11 PM

Just like at the Circus, the burdon-of-proof/justification lies with the "hawker" not with the "hawkee".

RustyLugNut 12-16-2013 12:25 PM

In many ways . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 403145)
Just like at the Circus, the purdon-of-proof/justification lies with the "hawker" not with the "hawkee".

. . . this forum does resemble a circus.

RustyLugNut 12-16-2013 12:36 PM

DiamondLube, do you have test samples we could get our hands on? If they are not free, do you have some at greatly reduced prices? Some of us would be willing to do testing of the product's qualitative as well as quantitative properties and report here. If this is truly your business, such samples would be low cost advertising. The skate lube you suggested on Ebay is the only small quantity product I see, and it looks like it is not your product.

DiamondLube 12-16-2013 03:50 PM

What makes you say that it doesn't look like my product?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyLugNut (Post 403154)
The skate lube you suggested on Ebay is the only small quantity product I see, and it looks like it is not your product.


DiamondLube 12-16-2013 03:59 PM

I have a bag of 1.5ml ($7) samples. left over from ShotShow 2008 that I will be happy to ship out so you can test it on a gun or two. Hit my paypal account with $3 to cover shipping and I will send anyone that wants one, one. Otherwise read the gun tests report on diamondlube.com to see what they said after testing it for a year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyLugNut (Post 403154)
DiamondLube, do you have test samples we could get our hands on? If they are not free, do you have some at greatly reduced prices? Some of us would be willing to do testing of the product's qualitative as well as quantitative properties and report here. If this is truly your business, such samples would be low cost advertising. The skate lube you suggested on Ebay is the only small quantity product I see, and it looks like it is not your product.


JRMichler 12-16-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondLube (Post 403191)
Otherwise read the gun tests report on diamondlube.com to see what they said after testing it for a year.

We would rather see reviews posted in a place that is perceived to be impartial. The manufacturers website is not good enough for us. We want to see before and after MPG data over enough miles to be significant, along with accounting for wind, temperature, and routes.

Like this: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ery-11445.html. ABA testing is impractical with your product, but well documented AB testing will clearly show a 5% improvement in mileage.

user removed 12-16-2013 10:09 PM

Dip your projectiles in it and test the difference in velocity with a chronograph.

regards
Mech

redneck 12-16-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 403245)
Dip your projectiles in it and test the difference in velocity with a chronograph.

regards
Mech

Unfortunately, that is not a good test. Just like when using Molly to coat a bullet, the velocity slows down. This is because the bullet slides too easily and doesn't build up enough pressure behind it. It is common to add more grains of powder in order to bring the velocity backup to the uncoated bullets speed. Fouling and barrel wear however is kept to a minimum when using a coating like molly. I would assume that this would work in the same manner.

>

Fat Charlie 12-17-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 403237)
We would rather see reviews posted in a place that is perceived to be impartial. The manufacturers website is not good enough for us.

No, you're just too stupid to understand the science behind it! ;)

JRMichler 12-17-2013 01:24 PM

Here's my offer. Give me a Diamond Lube kit for my truck. I'll test it for a year (summer 2014 and winter 2014/2015) and add the results to my build thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...yon-17070.html. A 3% improvement will show up, a 5% improvement will jump out. Slightly over 10% will get me the 40 MPG summer mileage that I would really like to get.

If it gives me 5% MPG improvement, I'll then pay you double your current list price. Put up or shut up.

RustyLugNut 12-18-2013 03:25 AM

The skate lube packaging . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondLube (Post 403189)
What makes you say that it doesn't look like my product?

. . . looked like a consumer level package (blister pack, etc. ) while the transport packaging is industrial. The Diamond Lube trade name slipped me.

RustyLugNut 12-18-2013 03:26 AM

Thank you for the offer.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondLube (Post 403191)
I have a bag of 1.5ml ($7) samples. left over from ShotShow 2008 that I will be happy to ship out so you can test it on a gun or two. Hit my paypal account with $3 to cover shipping and I will send anyone that wants one, one. Otherwise read the gun tests report on diamondlube.com to see what they said after testing it for a year.

I am trying to think up a test that can make use of such a small amount and be relevant to what we do here on Ecomodder.

DIMS 12-19-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyLugNut (Post 403395)
I am trying to think up a test that can make use of such a small amount and be relevant to what we do here on Ecomodder.

It seems this could be tested on an air cooled lawn mower engine. I think it would easy to test.
1: Before & after torque required to turn motor with & without plug.
2: Measure idle Rpm before & after
3: measure Oil temp before & after
4: measure head temperature before & after


Just an idea to throw out there.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com