EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Did Shouty make a good summary of electric vehicle history? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/did-shouty-make-good-summary-electric-vehicle-history-39118.html)

Xist 02-10-2021 07:37 PM

Did Shouty make a good summary of electric vehicle history?

I just watched this to see if it was clickbait, but I have never seen Shouty release a video like this. He isn't in the driveway or the living room frantically gesticulating. Instead of showing his face for virtually the entire time, or a car, if he is actually fixing one, the entire video is EV footage, which he narrates.

He doesn't insult anyone. There isn't any hyperbole. What do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6ZY4QLrd8

redpoint5 02-10-2021 08:09 PM

Better than any video of his I've seen. Would rather anyone else in the entire world narrate animation. Second thought, I'd probably prefer Shouty to Ben Shapiro, but there are parallels there.

Might be a useful video for people that don't know anything about EVs, but it includes too broad a range of topics to appeal to EV noobs, such as history, and how motors work.

It falls flat by not mentioning the singular and glaring weakness of EVs; the battery. Anyone wanting to promote EVs needs to address that elephant in the room, and then explain why the other strengths are worth what is essentially a $10,000 gas tank, that shrinks in capacity over time, that takes an eternity to fill, that requires environmental regulation, that takes up a lot of space and weighs a lot, and that when subsidized at $10,000, still accounts for only 2% of the passenger vehicle sales, represents a huge achilles heel.

Shouty is living proof that anyone can make it this day and age.

Xist 02-10-2021 08:24 PM

Fran Drescher and Gilbert Gottfried?

For some reason they are only #5 and #6 an IMDB list of annoying voices.

redpoint5 02-10-2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 642318)
Fran Drescher and Gilbert Gottfried?

For some reason they are only #5 and #6 an IMDB list of annoying voices.

Fran is positively associated for me, and Gilbert is positively associated in another way, but certainly they share certain vocal "qualities".

Going for a quick electric unicycle. Think I'll play some Smashing Pumpkins on the cruise.

freebeard 02-11-2021 04:15 AM

No mention of Porsche?

What did you think aboutThat last one sucks. He rants about his old boss and never gets to either President.

JSH 02-11-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 642316)
It falls flat by not mentioning the singular and glaring weakness of EVs; the battery. Anyone wanting to promote EVs needs to address that elephant in the room, and then explain why the other strengths are worth what is essentially a $10,000 gas tank, that shrinks in capacity over time, that takes an eternity to fill, that requires environmental regulation, that takes up a lot of space and weighs a lot, and that when subsidized at $10,000, still accounts for only 2% of the passenger vehicle sales, represents a huge achilles heel.

The benefit of a battery is long term savings on the fuel. Yes, upfront a battery is expensive but the fuel (electricity) is much cheaper than gas and more than makes up for the original battery purchase.

Yes, EVs are only 2% of sales in the USA but the USA is a minor player in the EV markets (10% of 2020 EV sales) Europe is the EV leader now with China right behind. (Europe EV sales were up 137% to 1.4 million in a vehicle market down 20% overall)

Global EV sales we up 43% in 2020 with a 4.2% market share.

freebeard 02-11-2021 04:43 PM

On a timescale long enough to include lead-acid batteries, battery technology is riding an upward curve.

What's lagging is a cold-plasma force field that gives a built-in tailwind.

redpoint5 02-11-2021 07:14 PM

I didn't say that batteries aren't improving, or that there aren't advantages, only that there are serious reasons why EVs aren't dominant, and why now is not the right time to buy for most consumers.

4.2% global sales is still weak, especially in light of the many market distortions required to achieve those numbers.

Haven't clicked any of the 3 links yet, and not sure I will. Listening to a most excellent discussion on Darkhorse at the moment.

freebeard 02-11-2021 08:42 PM

Not worth your time. The question was for OP.

Xist 02-12-2021 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 642322)
That last one sucks. He rants about his old boss and never gets to either President.

He went full clickbait?

Nobody here gives the impression they have 100% confidence in him as a mechanic.

Why would we value his opinion on anything else more?

Do you know whose opinion matters to me? The economics professor that I just met.

At least about economics! :)