Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

CES introduces a new 50 inch TV...with an EV crossover

Chinese start-up, Byton debut an EV concept with multi-level autonomous system, giving the driver/passenger total control of the level of AI assistance. The exterior design is somewhat contemporary crossover template but inside the vehicle has a digital lounge; 5G, SIM cards, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, shared connectivity and a dominant 50-inch wide x 8-inch high screen. The driver/passenger cabin has technologies like facial recognition and gesture analytics to detect your movement or access other features.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Sounds like an opportunity for a lot of expensive repairs
Old 01-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I'm telling you, we're just years away from Chinese vehicles hitting the US and undercutting the competition, especially in the EV sphere. They are very capable of borrowing the best IP (intellectual property) from other companies and incorporating them into their own products.

I have a $300 4k video quadcopter that outperforms anything else under $1000.

Electronics are relatively cheap. Elon might be selling the full autonomous package for $10,000, but he won't be able to get away with those extreme profit margins once the Chinese begin offering it for $1,000.

5 years from now we'll be fools to not get some level of driver-assist in new vehicles. The resale of vehicles with no assist will be very poor, and insurance rates will be higher.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm telling you, we're just years away from Chinese vehicles hitting the US and undercutting the competition, especially in the EV sphere. They are very capable of borrowing the best IP (intellectual property) from other companies and incorporating them into their own products.
Considering that Volvo is now owned by Geely, and its commitment to hybrids and EVs in the near future, it doesn't sound too unlikely.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:

I have a $300 4k video quadcopter that outperforms anything else under $1000.

Electronics are relatively cheap. Elon might be selling the full autonomous package for $10,000, but he won't be able to get away with those extreme profit margins once the Chinese begin offering it for $1,000.

5 years from now we'll be fools to not get some level of driver-assist in new vehicles. The resale of vehicles with no assist will be very poor, and insurance rates will be higher.
What's your drone? Costco had the Mavic Pro for just under $1000. Luckily I only had $150 in my pocket LOL. I want to do some ghost town/historic mining filming/scouting. Maybe aerial wildlife filming if it doesn't spook them too much. I have a $100 toy now, but it really has a terrible camera and range.

I agree, and can't wait for some level of autonomous. I just hope they make it work with humans driving as well and not try and limit the freedom to drive yourself if you want. If at some point nobody want to drive fine.

IMO nothing has given us real, tangible freedom as the ability to control our own transportation when and where we want at every level of income. If there was some "master switch" somebody could throw and lock everybody down to within walking distances, or only allow travel to and from designated locations it would be a terrible outcome. I suppose I would always just keep an old veggie oil diesel 4x4 in the garage and be that crazy old coot.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
What's your drone? Costco had the Mavic Pro for just under $1000.
I bought the Xiaomi Mi 4k drone when it was on sale (promo code) at gearbest.com, and then went through a cash back site and paid with a cash back credit card to get it down to about $300. Then I bought a 2nd battery when it was on sale for $40. Flight time is about 25 minutes. Video quality is better than Phantom 3, and slightly worse than Phantom 4. The Mavic probably just edges out the Mi 4k in video quality depending on who you ask and your criteria.

The main strength of the Mavic is portability. It packs down to nothing, which makes it more likely to be carried when going on excursions.

Plenty of Youtube reviews out there, so I'll stop before this becomes a wall of text.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Who you calling we? With any luck, five years from now I'll still be driving my 16 year old Miata, 18 year old Insight, and 30 year old Toyota pickup. Though in 5 years, they'll be 21, 23, and 35 :-)

And "resale value" is whatever they'll be paying for scrap metal.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I agree, and can't wait for some level of autonomous. I just hope they make it work with humans driving as well and not try and limit the freedom to drive yourself if you want.
Some level of autonomy might be interesting, but I agree with you on keeping provisions for human-driving too, even though the interface might become substantially different from what we're now used to.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Most people will want the safety and convenience of autonomous vehicles even if they only use a ride share system in the urban areas. Out in the boonies we will still need skills for mud and snow conditions.

Reply  Post New Thread