EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Do I really need a SG? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/do-i-really-need-sg-27844.html)

2012accentse 12-27-2013 03:51 PM

Do I really need a SG?

My 2012 Accent outputs instant fuel economy as well as avg fuel economy. I reset my 2nd trip meter every time I fill up, so I know how many miles I have traveled per tank. So the question is, how much more will the SG benefit me? Is it that much more crucial to getting the best economy out of my car, or will it just be a waste since I already have the basic instrumentation? Another quick question is, do more people get the SG II or the SG e? I was looking at the e and it seems to be more geared to what I would use....

thanks!

gone-ot 12-27-2013 05:37 PM

The OEM "basics" works fine--for now--but, later, when you want (or need) to know more, like coolant temp, ignition advance/retard, etc., only the SG (or similar) can provide you that information.

mcrews 12-27-2013 06:33 PM

I had a pretty good mpg screen in my Q45 and it got me to 27mpg. Then I found this site and got a sg. Topped out at 32mpg. Especially if you upsize your tires. See link in my sig

California98Civic 12-27-2013 07:30 PM

Scan Gauge or Ultra Gauge will show you voltage and engine load percentages as well as throttle position and intake air temp... all those are readings I like to have because of all the mods I have and want to monitor. But you have an automatic transmission, so the single best feature, engine load, is not as useful to you. Still, put an Ultra Gauge on your list (cheaper than Scan Gauge by half) and eventually if you get one I doubt you'll ever regret it.

redpoint5 12-27-2013 09:14 PM

The cost of a device that reads your OBD2 codes alone is $100. The SG and UG can do this and much more. I'd go for the UG between the 2.

If you have an Android though, I would buy an ELM237 and pair it with your phone.

I bought this for $13, and it is full-featured, including the ability to read OBD2 codes and reset the check engine light.

Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 Auto Diagnostics Scanner w Power Switch for Android | eBay

bestclimb 12-28-2013 02:07 PM

I have found that in vehicles without factory MPG displays that I really want to have some sort of information (ultra gauge and MPGuino before that). In cars with factory instant and average displays I get by without any extra information that an aftermarket display can provide. so long story short if your car has mpg displays you don't need to buy another thing though the added info is worth the asking price as you get more into it.

dmafanp 01-03-2014 01:39 PM

SG is so good ,, it can tell you how many dollars & cents you spent per trip enabeling you to find the most efficient route, this feature is awesome. i felt the same way as you, i didnt want to fork over 150$ for the scanguage but i have never looked back , my total savings for the 2013-14 year are $514 so it was payed for itself 3 times,

Xist 01-03-2014 02:18 PM

I second RedPoint5, the engine code reader alone is worth its money, and all of the additional information an aftermarket MPG gauge is also important. Someone once told me that too many people, including mechanics, limit their diagnostics to reading codes, and I spent shops twice what I had previously paid for my Ultraguage, and all they did was use their own code reader.

My understanding is that a code reader tells where you to start diagnosing, but it almost seems like I am better off reading the code, fixing whatever it says is wrong, and going from there.

One morning I drove to the shop simply to have my oil change. I had a CEL, so I had them take care of both, but they wanted $500 to replace my knock sensor, with a "Faulty Knock Sensor" code. The part was $85. It was one bolt and I simply needed to unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

Code readers are good tools for saving money and so are MPG gauges. One thing that I have not read here is that factory gauges tend to be something like 5% off, while you can calibrate an aftermarket one, so that it is much more accurate.

Pierrel 01-04-2014 12:34 PM

I'm waiting for my UG to arrive. I do not have any instrumentation in my char related to FE except maybe the temp and fuel gauge ;) but I can still manage decent MPG by just managing the way I drive.
The reason for me getting an UG is to be able to monitor some things better, and hopefully get even more MPG out of my little car.
I won't see crazy increases to make me save the $100 I bought it for during the first 6 months or so, but after that i will probably break even.

Besides, you can bring it with you in every car you want / would buy later on that might not have the fancy equipment of you current car :)

mcrews 01-04-2014 12:43 PM

having instant feedback WILL improve your mpg....it's like a video game....you have to win!!!!