EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Do people steal metros? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/do-people-steal-metros-17596.html)

actwithclarity 05-29-2011 05:14 PM

Do people steal metros?

Wondering if I should get a security device for my cute new little car.

hondaguy72 05-29-2011 06:32 PM

In Alberta? Doubtful it will be messed with. If it makes you feel better a cheap security system could be set up to prevent the vehicle from being started. Include a back up battery to ensure it will work if the car's battery is disconnected. If you want to go really cheap, put a switch in line with the starter 12v+ wire.

JasonG 05-29-2011 11:10 PM

The best security device would be lots of coroplast. Use different colors if you really want to be safe. ;)

War_Wagon 05-30-2011 01:22 AM

There are a lot of "financial combustion" thefts in Alberta when oil prices drop and all the oil sands workers can't make their $1500 a month new diesel pickup payments anymore. But I wouldn't think a Metro would be high on the list, though they are easy to take, and if I was a young hoodlum walking around in the cold in the winter I would rather take a Metro than walk. So anything you can do to make it look like more work than it is worth to take would help. Immobilizer is good, but by the time they figure out they can't take it they have already punched the lock or bent the window frame out on the door. I'd get a cheap club for the wheel, people can get around them, but more likely they will just move on to the next car with nothing in it. Just my 2 cents.

Piwoslaw 05-30-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 241688)
Do people steal metros?

No, only ecomodders want them;)

Quote:

If you make a kill switch for your engine, like cutting the signal to the injectors or from the cam-/crankshaft position sensor, then you can wire in a second switch as theft protection - install it in a hard to see place and flip it whenever you leave the car.

nemo 05-30-2011 10:03 AM

Three stick of dynamite under the front seat. No which way does that switch go? LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 241775)
No, only ecomodders want them;)

If you make a kill switch for your engine, like cutting the signal to the injectors or from the cam-/crankshaft position sensor, then you can wire in a second switch as theft protection - install it in a hard to see place and flip it whenever you leave the car.

A low rated fuse could be added so it would start then quit. This was used on the old cars to to break the 12v to the coil. One side of the switch for normal operation and one side anti theft. Nobody wants a poor running car.

actwithclarity 05-30-2011 08:45 PM

As much as I'd like a kill switch on the fuel injector and a start button, from the threads I saw on here, I don't have the tools or knowledge to do it myself. :S Can you get people to do this for you at a mechanic shop?

user removed 05-30-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

When I read this thread all I could think of was a "High Speed Chase" involving a Metro and a Mountie on a bicycle. ;)

regards
Mech

hondaguy72 05-30-2011 09:40 PM

For the price of tools and a few hours of reading, you will be able to do it yourself. Any car electronics place can do it for you if you really don't have the desire to learn how to do it.

morphector 05-30-2011 10:26 PM

Just remove the fuse for the fuel pump if it's easy to reach when the car is parked in an ''unsafe zone''

You could also use that technique on other fuses too!

There's another aproach, a 30-50w siren tucked under passenger seat. Siren will start with a time delay of 5-10sec once the car is started if you don't flip a switch. You'll be sure thief will leave the car there.