EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Do you like hubcaps? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/do-you-like-hubcaps-26805.html)

RedDevil 08-28-2013 03:27 PM

Do you like hubcaps?

Well, I don't.
http://imageshack.us/a/img713/6498/m2e6.jpg
My pride and joy took a blow (in more than one way!) from a hubcap bouncing through the files on the highway and changing lanes without indication.
Tried to swerve to the emergency lane to miss it, but there was a stranded car on it just a hundred meters away so I did not dare and had to take the blow.

I'm insured but it will cost me 150 € own risk. I cannot choose my preferred repair company; and I don't trust the ones my insurer allows for; especially the one that did an invisible repair on a little star on the screen. (Yup, I mean you can not see it ever was repaired, there seems to be no wax or anything in that little crater. To Dutchies: I mean Carglass. Avoid.)
Dammit...!

It hit the A pillar too, it has a small dent. I was amazed that it was just a small dent. The impact did not sound like breaking glass but like metal deforming :eek:
(edit: new OEM Honda windscreen with sensor spots ordered, will go in sept 10. The dent in the A pillar will remain there until the end of time, creating little vortices no doubt. No ABA testing on that I'm afraid)

I decided to sell my bike. I've been hit by stones, hail, hurricane winds, cigarette butts on the visor (like firework in the dark!) and even a not too empty milkshake beaker, covering my coat in strawberry slush... None made me lose control.
I doubt if I would have survived this impact if I were on my bike. I now just go dump it and shorten my things to do list.

Folks, secure dem hubcaps...

Gealii 08-28-2013 05:42 PM

Ouch!
I hate hubcaps too especially the dumb plastic lug screw onto the double threaded lug style caps. I kept losing the plastic lugs which is why i have coro hubcaps hooked with zipties probably float away like a plastic bag. =) if i ever lose one

Xist 08-28-2013 09:45 PM

Okay everybody. Make your wheelcovers out of coroplast!

user removed 08-28-2013 10:50 PM

I've dodged whole tire-wheel combos that bounced off another car and went 40 feet up in the air, a falling pine tree that missed a school bus by a few feet, a tailgate that fell off a farm use dump truck at night and probably weighed almost as much as the Austin Healey Sprite I was driving. The Benz dealership I worked for in Houston had a 18 wheeler tire-wheel combo come through the showroom and do over $40k in damage.

The hub caps on my Fiesta are held on by the lug nuts themselves, so they only come off if the lugs and wheel come off.

Had a Jeep fly by me driving a newly purchased 89 Maxima, on the Interstate. It (the Jeep) blew the engine and a piece of connecting rod hit our windshield.

regards
Mech

Cd 08-28-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 387715)
Okay everybody. Make your wheelcovers out of cloroplast!

Chloroplast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( Or was that intentional :confused: )

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-29-2013 04:32 AM

I don't dislike hubcaps, altough I don't really care for them.

Xist 08-29-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 387730)
Chloroplast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( Or was that intentional :confused: )

Fixed. I could not remember how to spell it.

I have never liked hubcaps. I think that they rarely look good and they damage too easily, but I guess that is better than having something that could do more damage. I just wish that steel wheels were not so ugly themselves, although at least my Forester has good-looking ones.

RedDevil 08-29-2013 08:44 AM

At least chloroplasts would be green :D, but way too small to fit.
OTOH, a chloroplast blast would not have made me start this thread :p

euromodder 08-30-2013 08:49 PM

In Sweden, most cars have hubcaps instead of alloys, and they all seemed to be tied on using tie-wraps.

Sven7 08-30-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 387796)
Fixed. I could not remember how to spell it.

corrugated plastic

coroplast

:thumbup:

Sucks about the windshield. Also, everyone, remember to be very careful with your wiper arms when you're changing blades. If they snap back against your windshield they WILL do serious damage... and you can't blame flying hubcaps!