EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Do you stop at stop signs? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/do-you-stop-stop-signs-17776.html)

actwithclarity 06-09-2011 10:31 PM

Do you stop at stop signs?

I'd say it's one of the best hypermiling techniques to avoid all unnecessary stops.

bryn 06-09-2011 10:40 PM

i find if i let my self roll through a few signs, i get lazy and i am sure iwould end up with a ticket or worse

Thymeclock 06-09-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 244131)
I'd say it's one of the best hypermiling techniques to avoid all unnecessary stops.

And, depending on your community, one of the best ways of getting a ticket from a lurking cop, posted to monitor the stop sign.

BTW, radar detectors don't work at warning you of this. :p

dcb 06-09-2011 11:20 PM

Sort of a personal question. Too many armchair cops here to expect honest answers.

Rick323 06-10-2011 01:14 AM

I stop all the time at lights and stop signs. My stop at stop signs is usually good for the next person or two behind me also, as they usually just follow me through. I also use my signals when turning or changing lanes.

I think quite a few people feel if they hit the brakes and slow down, that counts as a stop.

actwithclarity 06-10-2011 01:21 AM

Sometimes I get angry at stupid stop signs and just I pretend that I didn't see them. Never been ticketed.

If there is nobody around at all, in secluded areas of town and especially in rural areas, I will just ignore stop signs. Of course I would only do that when it is safe.

Stop lights I always stop at. They are something more serious, harder to explain how you didn't see them, and they are always placed at important/busy areas. That said in the past I worked until 3am and there was nobody on the road so I ignored that stuff.

texanidiot25 06-10-2011 02:04 AM

When appropriate (Late hours) in familiar areas with a good line of sight of the other roads, I'll roll through them with some speed. It's a common sense thing; if there's other traffic then come to a complete stop and use right of way, and don't roll signs where you don't have a clear line of sight of the cross road well before the sign.

One point that should be noted that in Texas, if you're ticketed at a sign that is not DOT approved, you can often fight the ticket. I heard this tactic years ago, and I don't know if the loop hole still works, so don't test my theory.. ;)

euromodder 06-10-2011 02:42 AM

In Belgium, stop signs are not allowed unless you can't yield without stopping.
So if I can safely yield to crossing traffic without stopping, the stop sign shouldn't have been there, and putting it there was a violation of traffic rules by itself.
These are the ones I'll happily roll through.

OTOH I'll stop, even when there's no stop sign, when visibility is poor.

The US could see a major reduction in its automotive fuel use just by getting rid of the silly, wasteful 4-way stops and replace them with priority / yield signs according to traffic densities.

99metro 06-10-2011 08:35 AM

I always stop at stop signs. Complete, tires stopped. There are way too many "in memory of" signs, crosses with flowers, etc around the stop signs here. People blow through the signs and pay the ultimate price. Not worth it in my book.

Turn signals - always always always. Even if I am the only one on the road.

To me, SAFETY should be the very first item on the top 100 hypermiling techniques.

Daox 06-10-2011 09:01 AM

I won't say I completely stop every time, but I do slow to very near stopped. People that run stop signs annoy the crap out of me, same with people who can't be bothered to move their hand 6 inches or less to flip their blinker on.