EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Does anyone use a Slick additive to oil? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/does-anyone-use-slick-additive-oil-17886.html)

larrybuck 06-20-2011 11:00 PM

Does anyone use a Slick additive to oil?

I have literally used Slick 50 in a '92 Dakota I bought new to use as a 300+ile a day/5 days a week courier vehicle. I think it helped a lot, but it wasn't cheap enough to overuse!
If I remember right, I think I REFRESHED about every 3 months or so.
Do any of you have a helping tradition like this toward your rides?

About 3-4 yrs. ago, a friend turned me to Molybdenum disulfide which is in a powder (super fine 1.5 microns) I buy it in a plastic bag inside of a sealed 1# mini plastic bucket.
I use about a teaspoon an oil change. For 1 veh., this should last a few yrs. for under $50.00.

I just pour my teaspoon into a plastic cup, and little by little I add the fresh oil, and stir, pour into eng., repeat, and repeat. You can feel how slick this stuff is! A little goes a long ways!

The same friend said I could use same in manual trans/diff./and even wheel bearings, but I haven't been brave enough to try that yet!

The thing that I hope that its working the best at; is the dreaded COLD START engine wear! I feel like it has worked well in my '87 CRX.

If interested, this can be ordered from Rose Mill Co. - chemicals lubricants processing.

They are located at E. Hartford, CT.

WARNING!!!!...........For those you do not know; don't put this in your motorcycle/scooter, because the same oil is shared w the trans., and the loss of NEEDED friction will cause you to SLIP!

mcrews 06-20-2011 11:38 PM

I was actually a distributor for Slick 50 more than 25 yrs ago. It was sold by a company called Petrolon I believe. I have used it in every car I have ever owned. I don't try to make any claims. But my parents ran their buick century out of oil (after I moved away). They had it towed, then oil put in and it kept going.

UFO 06-21-2011 11:09 AM

Absolutely not.

gone-ot 06-21-2011 01:50 PM

...if it ain't already *in* the oil from the factory, it don't need to be added!

...years ago, the U.S.Army Automotive-Tank Command tried such additives and deemed they were not worth the added co$t and effort...since I participanted in those tests ('72-'82 at Yuma Proving Grounds) I've never used them personally.

Arragonis 06-21-2011 02:12 PM

No. Oil has cleaners and additives in it already. Choose a decent make, and the appropriate grade (or better if possible) and change it regularly.

Didn't whoever invented PTFE say something like it was never meant to be used inside a car engine ?

EDIT - A non return oil filter will help with cold starts as it prevents oil from draining back to the sump when the engine is stopped. And second edit is oils like Magnatec (claim to) stay in the engine when it is stopped so it is lubricating when it starts again.

If you are leaving an engine for a loooooong time then I would crank it before starting maybe with the coil disconnected.

mwebb 06-21-2011 10:48 PM

no

every OEM specifically and adamantly does not approve any additives to be installed in their recommended OR
Mandated for warranty purposes oil .

do you think there may be a reason for that ?

study and learn at
BITOG , Bob is the oil guy , forums

mcrews 06-22-2011 01:00 AM

:eek::eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwebb (Post 246382)
every OEM specifically and adamantly does not approve any additives to be installed in their recommended OR
Mandated for warranty purposes oil .

do you think there may be a reason for that ?

study and learn at
BITOG , Bob is the oil guy , forums

WOW.......what a relief to have your expert opinion.

Guess that when the QUAKER STATE (that is a pretty popular brand of oil sold at walmart:eek:) has a HIGH MILEAGE product that says with SLICK 50.........

must be some chicken shxx bs that is sold black market to walmart.......
heck......it's probaly some uotlaw off-shore company.........

THe oil used in this analysis is the High Mileage Quaker state w/ slick 50.
AND HAVE BEEN USING SINCE 80k.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...rt_page001.jpg

UFO 06-22-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 246391)
Guess that when the QUAKER STATE (that is a pretty popular brand of oil sold at walmart:eek:) has a HIGH MILEAGE product that says with SLICK 50.........

must be some chicken shxx bs that is sold black market to walmart.......
heck......it's probaly some uotlaw off-shore company.........

THe oil used in this analysis is the High Mileage Quaker state w/ slick 50.
AND HAVE BEEN USING SINCE 80k.

Well there you go. Older engines can tolerate more crud in the oil because the clearances are worn. I'd like to see Quaker State warrant your engine. And just because Quaker State is taking money from Slick50, it must be ok in your engine? Sounds like a conflict of interest NOT in your favor.

Never in my cars, never.

some_other_dave 06-22-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 246391)

...means EXACTLY that QS figured they could sell oil to people if they had that label on it. Nothing more, nothing less. It says absolutely nothing at all about the effectiveness of the oil; it just says that they think they can charge money for it.

And judging by the popularity of Slick-50 as a stand-alone additive, I think they were quite right.

I won't put it in any of my cars.

-soD

mcrews 06-23-2011 02:38 PM

wow.
no really, wow.

Do either of you actually read what you write??

"Never in my cars, never"

really?

two thoughts........
1. If I gave you a million dollars you would. Or your just ..........:eek:
2. Maybe Chalton Heston can pull off the "have to pry it out of my cold hand" attitude to the NRA, but that is a little 'over dramatic' for a little forum......:rolleyes: