EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Does this kind of place exist? (Shop rental for DIY car work/repair?) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/does-kind-place-exist-shop-rental-diy-car-26038.html)

PhillipL 06-01-2013 03:06 PM

Does this kind of place exist? (Shop rental for DIY car work/repair?)

Hi everyone, Is there any place that will rent tools and work space or maybe a lift for you to work on your own cars in Socal near Los Angeles or San Gabriel? I'm looking for a place like that to make working on my car easier. Any info would be very helpful.

California98Civic 06-01-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillipL (Post 374169)
Hi everyone, Is there any place that will rent tools and work space or maybe a lift for you to work on your own cars in Socal near Los Angeles or San Gabriel? I'm looking for a place like that to make working on my car easier. Any info would be very helpful.

I have seen this question online before, without definitive answers. This is a potential business model for someone in the LA/OC region (here is a company in Washington that does it). Community Colleges, specifically Santa Monica Community College, sometimes, I have seen guys claim online. I would call some of the shops in your immediate area... maybe start with whoever has been your regular mechanic (if you have had one). Ask if they know of places. Walk in when they're not super busy and strike up a conversation... see what you learn.

There are also the long term storage facilities, which will sometimes let people store cars... ask.

Good luck.

mechman600 06-01-2013 04:50 PM

When I lived in Winnipeg there was one there but I heard it closed down because of liability reasons. Imagine letting anyone put their car on a lift. Car falling off and getting sued, anyone?

aktacoma 06-01-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechman600 (Post 374187)
When I lived in Winnipeg there was one there but I heard it closed down because of liability reasons. Imagine letting anyone putting their car on a lift. Car falling off and getting sued, anyone?

this is the exact reason I didn't invest in this sort of business the liability is much too high.:(

NachtRitter 06-01-2013 06:57 PM

Check out local hackerspaces; see here for a short list in the LA area: Los Angeles - HackerspaceWiki. Some may not have the space to work on a car, but since the members tend to be DIY types, you may find someone with similar interests...

Frank Lee 06-01-2013 07:03 PM

Our local car club talked about starting a club garage but that\'s as far as that went. However some other car clubs may have done it.

jjackstone 06-02-2013 11:29 PM

Found this on YELP.
Your Dream Garage DIY Auto Shop - Baldwin Park, CA

JJ

mechman600 06-03-2013 01:19 AM

Here\'s one in Calgary, AB - you can rent lifts, welders, tools, etc.
U-Wrench - Do it Yourself Garage&Body shop

Here\'s a rent-a-bay place for motorcycles in Vancouver, BC.
Motomethod | Vancouver's Community Motorcycle Repair Shop

PhillipL 06-10-2013 05:03 PM

Thanks for the link jjackstone... Baldwin Park is close to where I live... I don\'t know how I missed it... I will go check them out this week... Thanks again..

jsturgis 08-29-2014 12:30 PM

U Fix It Automotive Repair

ufixitautomotivesacdotcom/locations-sacramento.php