EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Drivers that make us look bad (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/drivers-make-us-look-bad-29967.html)

pletby 09-12-2014 07:24 PM

Drivers that make us look bad

Here's one for you. Not sure what day this week, Monday or Tuesday I see a Honda Insight drafting a semi on the highway like he's on a Nascar race track. One carlength or less. There's no way that driver could see the car behind him. They were doing about 105km/hr ~65mph. They passed me as I was pulsing and gliding to work at about 90km/hr avg.:turtle:

This was on Highway 75 going south 30 miles from the US border into North Dakota. Dude had Minnesota plates. Not cool.

Cobb 09-12-2014 08:45 PM

At least in that case he is just asking for a hurting if a tire explodes.

If hes in the middle lane doing 40 mph, that hurts everyone behind him. :eek:

dirtydave 09-12-2014 08:58 PM

Doesn't matter what he drives still an asshole.

Hersbird 09-12-2014 09:01 PM

Why exactly does a truck driver need to see the car behind him? I have always wonders that. "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you." What is he going to stop and start backing up on the interstate? I've been far enough back so they can easily see me and they still drive side by side in the passing lane for 5 miles, seems like most could care less what's behind them.
Also with close following wouldn't the impact in a sudden stop actually be less forceful the closer you are? If you actually got up and rested your bumper on his there would be no impact at all, the brakes of the semi would just start slowing you down at the same rate, so if you were really close the truck actually wouldn't have slowed down very much in a panic stop resulting in just a bump at a few mph. If you are sitting back the recommend distance the car in front can almost make a full stop and if you aren't paying attention you hit them at full highway speed.
Just food for thought, I hope someday electronics allow all cars and trucks the ability to move along in high speed trains bumper to bumper.

dirtydave 09-12-2014 09:12 PM

If the truck has to hit the brakes hard and a car crashes into him not only would he probably not notice and just drive away he would lose his job and not to be able to get another. His life ruined and his career gone.

j12piprius 09-12-2014 09:17 PM

trucks are dangerous

Hersbird, haha funny post and good points.

I do my best to avoid trucks when driving and consider them dangerous. I did try p&g'ing a legal distance behind them but found no benefit. One time a few years ago I was coming up in the left lane to pass a truck in the right lane, still a ways behind it, when all of a sudden it had a blowout and started swerving across both of the lanes, yikes! I hit the brakes and stayed a safe distance behind it as it slowed, but was not able to avoid running over the remnants of the tire. Fortunately there was no damage, and I continued onward as he pulled off to the side.

I always keep the farthest distance away from big trucks, and remain on high alert when passing them.

user removed 09-12-2014 09:35 PM

When he eats a gator through the windshield, he might wise up, if he survives.

regards
mech

ksa8907 09-12-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 445187)
When he eats a gator through the windshield, he might wise up, if he survives.

regards
mech

Them road gators are vicious!

RustyLugNut 09-12-2014 11:57 PM

Your wish has been in the works for some time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 445181)

Just food for thought, I hope someday electronics allow all cars and trucks the ability to move along in high speed trains bumper to bumper.

The exercise is called "platooning". I have seen some of the experiments zipping along the diamond lanes here in San Diego.

Green Car Congress: Platooning Reduces Drag and Cuts Fuel Consumption and Emissions

http://www.overdriveonline.com/truck...-detroit-show/

jamesqf 09-13-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 445183)
If the truck has to hit the brakes hard and a car crashes into him not only would he probably not notice and just drive away he would lose his job and not to be able to get another. His life ruined and his career gone.

Why so? Quite apart from the fact that, as was pointed out above, any crash is going to be less severe if you are very close, maybe nothing but a little paint scraped off, in a rear-end collision, isn't the following driver always legally at fault?

Further, I've never understood why truck drivers are bothered by cars close behind them, but have no problem at all following a length or two behind a car.

As for pieces of tire and such, they fly off to the side much more often than directly behind.