EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Driving alone (vs. with passengers - effect on technique) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/driving-alone-vs-passengers-effect-technique-7108.html)

Piwoslaw 02-13-2009 09:33 AM

Driving alone (vs. with passengers - effect on technique)

I've noticed that when I'm driving alone I get better FE. When there is noone else in the car I feel relaxed and am in no hurry. I go faster with someone (usually the wife) next to me. It's not that she's complaining about my speed or the way I drive, I do it on my own. I've talked to her about P&G and when asked she doesn't say it annoys her, though sometimes I do get remarks of the "You can actually go faster on this stretch" when I'm trying a ridiculously long glide. When I'm with someone I P&G around the speed limit, but when alone the speed limit is my upper bound. Also I glide down to 20-30km/h below the upper bound before pulsing, compared to 15-20km/h.

TestDrive 02-13-2009 10:29 AM

I'll guess that's typical?

On the one hand
Alone ~22 km/l :)
Paired up ~20 km/l :(
On the other hand
Alone ~22 km/l per person :)
Paired up ~10 km/l per person :):):):)

McTimson 02-13-2009 10:46 AM

Yea, my girlfriend hates having to follow me in her car because I go too slow on the highway. I don't think she minds if we're in the same car though, but I do have a tendency to drive more 'normal' when she's in the car or following.

poindexter 02-13-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestDrive (Post 87636)
I'll guess that's typical?

On the one hand
Alone ~22 km/l :)
Paired up ~20 km/l :(
On the other hand
Alone ~22 km/l per person :)
Paired up ~10 km/l per person :):):):)

I think you mean
Alone ~22 km-person/l
Paired up ~40 km-person/l

Has South Dakota converted to the metric system already? ;)

TestDrive 02-13-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poindexter (Post 87643)
I think you mean
Alone ~22 km-person/l
Paired up ~40 km-person/l

Has South Dakota converted to the metric system already? ;)

Yeah, ~40 km-person/l is what I meant. :o

No, SD has barely even heard of the metric system, let alone converted to it.

I saw Warsaw, Poland as Piwoslaw's location; tried to meet Piwoslaw on his own ground, but muffed it.

jamesqf 02-13-2009 01:07 PM

Maybe some of you are overlooking the obvious reason for why your fuel economy is worse with wife/girlfriend in the car - the extra weight :-)

KJSatz 02-13-2009 01:31 PM

A low blow!

robbiewt 02-13-2009 05:41 PM

My dad is always telling me that it is ok to drive faster. Occasionally I'll hear the question "Am I too fat for your gas mileage?"

Peter7307 02-13-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 87661)
Maybe some of you are overlooking the obvious reason for why your fuel economy is worse with wife/girlfriend in the car - the extra weight :-)

James , well to be honest I wasn't overlooking it I juts wasn't brave enough to say it !

Cheers , Pete.

jamesqf 02-13-2009 11:36 PM

One of the benefits of being single :-) My usual right-seat companion's only about 55 lbs (Border Collie/Aussie mix), but my old dog was about 110 lbs, and there was a noticable difference driving the Insight up the mountain with her along.