EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Early model Focus mpgs? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/early-model-focus-mpgs-27402.html)

suspectnumber961 10-30-2013 06:00 AM

Early model Focus mpgs?

I have a 2003 Focus ZX3 that in summer might do 36 mpg in mixed driving and around 38 mpg highway. According to the sticker under the hood...this car is both a PZEV and a ULEV...meaning a California car with stricter pollution standards for the year.

A neighbor bought a 2000 Focus sedan and claims to get 38 mpg around town and 44 mpg on a long trip. No mods...high mileage(?)....no real attempt to drive for mpg???

Both cars have an auto trans and I assume the DOHC engine.

A search of the GARAGE for Focus brings up some that do almost as well..but not many....

Looks like the stricter pollution standards cost mpg?

user removed 10-30-2013 09:47 AM

DFCO means the car is a PZEV, since it is moving and consuming no fuel in DFCO.

regards
Mech

NeilBlanchard 10-30-2013 12:26 PM

You're doing pretty well. I had a 2002 ZX5 5-speed and I averaged between 27-34MPG most of the time.

JRMichler 10-30-2013 01:18 PM

Not a valid comparison. Driving technique is more significant than most people realize. My experience is that smooth on the throttle (DWL) plus coasting instead of using the brakes (DWB) was worth 10% gas mileage.

Allch Chcar 10-30-2013 04:14 PM

There were at least 2 base engines for the first gen Focus. The 2.0L SOHC split port and the 2.0L DOHC Zetec. The Split port is rated for higher MPG from lower cam profile and taller gearing. ZX3 and ZTS had the Zetec standard. While the LX and SE came with Split port standard but Zetec was an option. Not only do the PZEV engines reduce HP, Torque, but also MPG.

There was a high output version of the Zetec available on SVTs. Then there was the 2.3L Duratec in the faux "ST" for MY '04-'05 and the new 2.0L Duratec base engine from MY'05 on.

suspectnumber961 10-31-2013 07:16 AM

Her car might have the SOHC engine. This engine tends to lose valves...if you look at used engines of both types...SOHC and DOHC...you find that the SOHC are much more costly...while the DOHC are cheap and easy to find...long lasting.

After about 03...the early model Focuses are almost as reliable as Toyotas/Hondas of the same period...according to ConsumerReports. Current models rate more poorly.

Main gain with the Cali car is the lack of rust. I like the Focus...with the rear suspension mounted in rubber and the engine the same it doesn't have that economy buzz you got with the older small cars. With minor mods it also handles well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allch Chcar (Post 397659)
There were at least 2 base engines for the first gen Focus. The 2.0L SOHC split port and the 2.0L DOHC Zetec. The Split port is rated for higher MPG from lower cam profile and taller gearing. ZX3 and ZTS had the Zetec standard. While the LX and SE came with Split port standard but Zetec was an option. Not only do the PZEV engines reduce HP, Torque, but also MPG.

There was a high output version of the Zetec available on SVTs. Then there was the 2.3L Duratec in the faux "ST" for MY '04-'05 and the new 2.0L Duratec base engine from MY'05 on.

Allch Chcar 10-31-2013 04:32 PM

Precisely,my guess is hers is the SOHC due to better MPG and especially since it's a LX. I looked at first gen Foci and found that out pretty quickly how the sedan usually ends up with a blown engine. The Zetec is pretty reliable and the Duratec is even better(timing chain etc). But there is no shame in owning a Zetec.

The current Focus is having problems with the AT and Sync. Get one without Sync and with the newest MTX75 if you ever go that route.

HydroJim 11-03-2013 01:15 PM

I really like my 2000 Ford Focus. Wish I had a model from later in the generation 03-04 because they worked out some of the kinks by then. Real nice car in the price range though.

trooper Tdiesel 02-18-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allch Chcar (Post 397780)
Precisely,my guess is hers is the SOHC due to better MPG and especially since it's a LX. I looked at first gen Foci and found that out pretty quickly how the sedan usually ends up with a blown engine. The Zetec is pretty reliable and the Duratec is even better(timing chain etc). But there is no shame in owning a Zetec.

its a given that the base LX 2000-2003 is a SPI engine.
i fixed one focus that was a SE with the SPI and the valve seat failure, but they're re not very commonen in the SE.
ive seen one wagen model with a SPI

find one thats not blown yet put a new after market head on it and it will last...finding a short block after its gone thats a bugger to do on a budget...
as when they go, scaring or cracking a piston liner from a con rod coming loose from a piston is rather common.

ive got a LX 4 door with the SPI, tall geared manual and the only model to get 14" rims, orignal road rating was 36 mpg
engine heat is a 2 fold friend/enemy. to little heat and it loses mpg, to much heat and thats the most common reason for the valve seat failure.

the ford contour or one of its clone's uses the same odd 4x108mm lug pattern and is the only source of used 14" alloy rims ive found so far. im still on the hunt for those...