EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   Ecomodder wiki is spammed (all fixed now!) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ecomodder-wiki-spammed-all-fixed-now-21197.html)

ecofreak 03-28-2012 09:21 PM

Ecomodder wiki is spammed (all fixed now!)

To whom it may concern-

The Ecomodder wiki has been compromised with spammers.

I'd gladly help migrating it to a safer wiki host, or deleting the spam pages.

It was a good resource, and if we start out fresh, we could have even more involvement and a constant stream of information/ideas into the wiki.

It would be great to copy and paste all of the threads and case studies for aerodynamics to the wiki. It would save a lot of time than doing a forums search and comparing multiple conclusions.

Either that, or we remove the wiki outright. We already have a list of 5 mods and 100 driving techniques, as well as a forum already full of a surplus of information. Just for the sake of organization.

cfg83 03-28-2012 09:35 PM

ecofreak -

I don't know *how* to do it, but I am sure we can revert it to an older version and lock it down while we decide what to do. Here is the Wiki history, so we know who to ban :

Revision history of "Main Page" - EcoModder

I would guess that we could limit the contributors to "old salts" of Ecomoder, aka X number of posts or more in good standing.

CarloSW2

Regenerit 03-28-2012 10:04 PM

Wow, I can't believe people would just spam useless crap onto a wiki page with such useful information. It sickens me.

ecofreak 03-28-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 296499)
I would guess that we could limit the contributors to "old salts" of Ecomoder, aka X number of posts or more in good standing.
CarloSW2

If the wiki was to be restricted, I wouldn't see benefit in keeping it. Having a sticky and locked archive of projects of cars would be a more secure way of organizing things.

What ends up happening on the wiki is about 70% of thread content making it there, 90% of good threads linked from the wiki, and 30% new and useful content making it to the wiki. We could afford just archiving good threads, and not restricting those pictures to guest users. We could just move the good threads into a guest subforum instead.

(also, I don't see why we have the brief front-page articles, even though they are well-made and somewhat helpful, when they are better specified and elaborated upon in the forums)

gone-ot 03-28-2012 11:12 PM

...or, must use a "variable" token to make entries.

...token given out by Admin or designated Moderator.

...the token is made variable by Admin setting a new "seed" token each calendar month, there after the Moderator simply adds or subtracts a character, symbol or number, etc.

cfg83 03-28-2012 11:25 PM

ecofreak -

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecofreak (Post 296512)
If the wiki was to be restricted, I wouldn't see benefit in keeping it. Having a sticky and locked archive of projects of cars would be a more secure way of organizing things.

(I *don't* represent the owners of ecomodder, this is only my opinion)

I only mean "locked" for the short term, until we restore the wiki and figure out how to deal with the spammers.

You already have a "Garage" where you can manage your car, but it's not in a wiki-style, so it is not ideal.

Would it be fair to restrict the Wiki to Ecmodder members that have contributed X number of posts? ... Ok, now I think I see. The Wiki members are not connected to Ecomodder members, so there is no way to "restrict" who contributes.

CarloSW2

ecofreak 03-28-2012 11:33 PM

Since we can't really quite control the wiki, I'd think it would be best to somehow just create the articles in "thread" form in a guest-viewable subforum. It would offer the most control, and remove some of the on-site clutter associated with the wiki.

My solution is pretty drastic, sure, but I still feel like it should be considered. There's just more control and organization if a team can condense the wiki into a locked-for-editing subforum, where pictures are guest-viewable and basically ready to read.

NachtRitter 03-29-2012 12:09 AM

I'd prefer to keep the wiki the way it is, but take advantage of some of the open source tools that are used by wikipedia to monitor the wiki 'vandalism'. (Had sent a PM to Darin about one of them a short while ago) I think the problem right now is manpower.

Piwoslaw 03-29-2012 04:08 AM

I noticed spam in the wiki 2-3 days ago and let Darin know, but he said SVOboy is in charge. SVO hasn't been around much lately, so maybe we need someone else who has the time and know-how to work on it?

MetroMPG 03-29-2012 06:05 AM

That's the issue - I'm still waiting for Ben to reply. Wiki admin was/is his job, and I'd prefer he keep it. I've got enough to do.

I poked him again.