Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
120v to 240v EVSE Modification

I posted this in another forum, but since I have high regard for the bright people here, I'd like to get input from here too.

I purchased a used Leaf EVSE for $200 and have been L1 charging with it ever since (I charge a Prius Plug-in, not Leaf). A couple things I don't like about L1 charging is the charge efficiency, which I've measured at about 70%, and the length of time it takes to charge when multiple trips are made close together.

This Instructables article talks about how to modify a Leaf EVSE to use a 240v outlet and output L2 power. Since I already have a 240v line in my house and the few items I need to make the modification, I'll likely tackle this project.

I now have the original Prius charger, and I'm wondering where the info is to modify the Prius EVSE to allow for L2 charging? Searching the web and this forum so far has not turned up any results.

I see many posts endorsing sending the unit in to Phil's company for the upgrade, but that rubs me wrong in 3 ways. The first is that I bought the EVSE for $200, and spending $260 on a simple upgrade that involves very few parts seems silly. Next, I prefer to be a tinkerer than a consumer. Learning and doing is both more fun, and cheaper. Finally, I don't like Phil's attitude on the other forum I won't mention. He's not interested in educating people; only selling his product. I get that, and I can't blame him for promoting his business; I might do the same in his shoes. However, I participate in forums to both be educated and to educate others. If I can learn something and then pass along the knowledge, I will. Open source FTW!

If someone can point me in the right direction for completing this mod for the Prius EVSE, I'll do a good write-up with pictures and possibly put together a Youtube video.

A small bunch of wealthy hippies isn't going to put any meaningful dent in our fossil fuel usage. Eliminating the price penalty for going electric is the only way for the masses to convert.

Read more: 120v to 240v EVSE Modification | PriusChat
Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread