Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

150cc gy6 motor & a123 batteries

I am new here. I have a custom scooter that i am building. I am trying to make a "low profile" battery set up to hide under my seat in a box i will be making to attach to the seat. Could anyone help me figure out a way to make a battery that would run my lights and be able to at least electric start my scooter. Its a 12v AC current system. Uses a CDI & stator for spark. Battery doesnt affect it at all. I have been looking into a123 batteries. what i am trying to figure out is how to make one to support my headlights/taillights and aux LED lights (non of which will be running all the time, Only at night).

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MetroScoopy - '09 CHF50 Honda Metropolitan 50cc
90 day: 97.98 mpg (US)

Training Shoe - '99 Hyundai Hyundai Atoz Prime 797cc
90 day: 31.28 mpg (US)
I think for sheer ease of use, I'd go with two 6v RC car battery packs and wire them in parallel for 12v. Or you could just get 10 cells (1.2 v each and then solder them together. They're really small and flat and have the cranking power you'd need.

I have a Honda Super Cub 100 that only has a 2.5Ah battery and a Metropolitan electric start with a 3Ah battery and I can assure you that the R/C pack would be enough to power everything.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/ProdInfo/D...YN1452-250.jpg
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

@newb
Quote:
Could anyone help me figure out a way to make a battery that would run my lights and be able to at least electric start my scooter

Quote:
I have been looking into a123 batteries. what i am trying to figure out is how to make one to support my headlights/taillights and aux LED lights
Could you please clarify? Are you trying to make one battery for the entire system or two separate batteries. Either way you should look at Endlessphere. They usually have all the latest info on battery development.

Quote:
Its a 12v AC current system.
Most bikes use a DC system. For charging a battery pack there is often some type of alternator(AC source) that has a rectified output(DC voltage level) to charge the battery. Could this be what you mean?

@Honda100

Quote:
I'd go with two 6v RC car battery packs and wire them in parallel for 12v.
Two six volt packs in parallel is still six volts, just a bigger tank. Need to place them in series for 12 volts.

JJ
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MetroScoopy - '09 CHF50 Honda Metropolitan 50cc
90 day: 97.98 mpg (US)

Training Shoe - '99 Hyundai Hyundai Atoz Prime 797cc
90 day: 31.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackstone View Post
@Honda100

Two six volt packs in parallel is still six volts, just a bigger tank. Need to place them in series for 12 volts.

JJ

Dyslexia (or whatever you call it) strikes again... ^ Thanks for that.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sorry, thanks for the info. u are correct it does have a rectifier on it. i forgot about that. Also i need the battery to start my engine and run my lights. im trying to find a cheaper alternative to buying a balistics evo gel battery. that would fit but eh. im not sure.

Reply  Post New Thread