EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Electric Supercharger?! (adaptable for fuel economy?) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/electric-supercharger-adaptable-fuel-economy-22763.html)

toc 07-29-2012 05:38 AM

Electric Supercharger?! (adaptable for fuel economy?)

How our electric supercharger works

Sounds like an interesting yet easy supercharger.
I'm curious if it's adaptable for fuel economy (reduce pumping losses by forcing air into the intake)?

Any thoughts (or is this one of those fail concepts..)?

gone-ot 07-29-2012 06:25 AM

The energy "conversion" losses from using electric-motor drive versus direct-engine mechanical drive say it's not worth it...however, the ability to 'cycle' the electric-driven SC on/off as necessary is certainly a benefit, albeit only briefly.

toc 07-29-2012 06:33 AM

Step back a bit and use it as belt drive.

Is there sense in a supercharger at all? :|
WAI with supercharger? But then go all the way with turbo (but then .. not good for FE?)

NachtRitter 07-29-2012 05:10 PM

Simply adding a turbocharger to an existing engine will probably not do anything for FE. However, putting a smaller engine with a turbocharger into the a vehicle that had a larger 'normally aspirated' engine can help (for example, putting a 4cyl turbo engine into a vehicle that previously had a V8 NA engine) could give an improvement in FE.

"Real" example:
- 2012 BMW 328i 2.0 4cyl Turbo 6spd: 240hp, 23mpg city, 34mpg highway
- 2010 BMW 335i 3.0 6cyl NA 6spd: 230hp, 18mpg city, 28mpg highway

(I put "real" in quotes because I don't know for sure if the aero, gearing, weight, tires, etc are equivalent between the two different model years, all of which can impact the EPA ratings... and all of the 3-series BMWs have turbos in 2012 while none did (in the USA at least) in the 2010 year... but the the comparison should be relatively close... 1 liter less but with turbo gives more HP and better FE for the newer model vs the older model with the larger NA engine)

Of course, as with most things, 'it depends' ... a large car with a turbo engine that is sized too small could cost FE since the driver would be inclined to floor it more often just to get going.

Mustang Dave 07-29-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toc (Post 319223)
How our electric supercharger works

Sounds like an interesting yet easy supercharger.
I'm curious if it's adaptable for fuel economy (reduce pumping losses by forcing air into the intake)?

Any thoughts (or is this one of those fail concepts..)?

Wow! Only $10 for the construction plans. That thing wouldn't make any useable boost pressure, even for a weed eater.

Tamn 07-29-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Dave (Post 319273)
Wow! Only $10 for the construction plans. That thing wouldn't make any useable boost pressure, even for a weed eater.

Ahem...a while back hot rod magazine took 2 leaf blowers and hooked them up to a car.

Google "leaf blower supercharger hotrod magazine"

I haven't posted enough to toss you the link but its a pretty fun read :thumbup:

user removed 07-29-2012 08:20 PM

I think the electric supercharger offers some advantages, especially if it can be adapted without influencing manifold airflow when not in use. The percentage of time when you need the ability to boost engine power is very small, while the much smaller engine can run at lighter vehicle loads with higher BSFC. Addtitional energy could be recovered when deceleration of braking events are needed.

Since vehicles are evolving into greater percentages of electrical driven steering and cooling systems, then larger alternators with greater charging capacity will be used anyway, as engines go beltless for everything but the alternator, and even beltless altogether if the alternator was driven off the timing chain or balance chain.

I know many here think they are a farce, but for me I just don't feel that way. In fact I think, since engines are almost always operating with some throttle restriction, maybe that same restriction could be utilized to create a small amount of energy that could provide the power for the very low percentage of time when boost was necessary.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 07-29-2012 10:46 PM

I like the concept of an "electric throttle" too, but this thing is so unicorny it ain't even funny. Well... I guess it is, I laughed and smirked when I opened the link.

MGB=MPG 07-29-2012 10:58 PM

http://image.turbomagazine.com/f/885...percharger.jpg450cfm at 8 psi, required 18 to 22 hp,

Read more: Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger - Tech Review - Turbo Magazine

little squirrel cage heater blower will not cut it.
however ..

little

oil pan 4 07-30-2012 11:21 AM

I am going to stick with my exhaust driven supercharger thingy.