EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   EM Blogworthy: Trek's latest venture (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/em-blogworthy-treks-latest-venture-4018.html)

thebrad 07-23-2008 10:56 PM

EM Blogworthy: Trek's latest venture

I was in my local cycling shop this morning and saw a newsletter regarding this program and felt pretty inclined to share.

You guys motivated me to replace my car with a bike, so maybe this could be the push for others. :thumbup:

1 World 2 Wheels » Home

atomicradish 07-24-2008 04:46 AM

I am going to buy a Trek 1.2 when I return to campus at the end of the summer. I can't wait!

Lazarus 07-24-2008 09:07 AM

Great find Brad.

SVOboy 07-24-2008 01:00 PM

Niceness!

jamesqf 07-24-2008 03:46 PM

Nice idea, but they need a halfway competent web site designer. A lot of it is just unreadable...

rjacob 07-24-2008 04:19 PM

Nice idea. I own multiple bikes including a couple Treks. Problem is I live 13.5 miles from work. It would be a total PITA to ride, and have to worry about clothes, etc, much less smelling rank at work. And I live on a hill. So pretty much anywhere I would go, would involve a nice steep 500 foot climb at the end when I come home. Kind of hard to get much in the way of grocerys when you will have to carry them up 500 of elevation gain to get them home.

thebrad 07-24-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjacob (Post 47321)
Nice idea. I own multiple bikes including a couple Treks. Problem is I live 13.5 miles from work. It would be a total PITA to ride, and have to worry about clothes, etc, much less smelling rank at work. And I live on a hill. So pretty much anywhere I would go, would involve a nice steep 500 foot climb at the end when I come home. Kind of hard to get much in the way of grocerys when you will have to carry them up 500 of elevation gain to get them home.

I had pretty much the same mentality as you, but I started training for my commute over summer break and then weekends. Then when the new semester started I was ready for it. granted the terrain might not be the same, but I have a few hills on my ride and mainly just chose the flat lands for speed. But I dunno man, where there's a will there's a way. I'm doing 50 miles every other day and now focusing on becoming a triathlete.

Again, cycling isn't ideal for all but for those who have the option should seriously look into it.

rjacob 07-24-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrad (Post 47440)
I'm doing 50 miles every other day and now focusing on becoming a triathlete.

I want to do an ironman next year. I was hoping to sign up for the 2009 Lake Placid Ironman online last Monday, but it sold out onsite. Oh well. I am going to try to signup for Louisville next. Currently I am training for the New York Marathon in November, then I will start training for the Boston Marathon. Plus a few half marathons thrown in. I do a lot of cycling and swimming as cross training.

thebrad 07-24-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjacob (Post 47442)
I want to do an ironman next year. I was hoping to sign up for the 2009 Lake Placid Ironman online last Monday, but it sold out onsite. Oh well. I am going to try to signup for Louisville next. Currently I am training for the New York Marathon in November, then I will start training for the Boston Marathon. Plus a few half marathons thrown in. I do a lot of cycling and swimming as cross training.

Sweet man, I am debating on entering the California Half Iron. It's 260+ days away, but I am not sure if I can become an efficient swimmer by then. I am racing in a duathalon this Sunday, first race ever so should be pretty good. :thumbup:

If you're actually training for something, that hill could be part of your regimen, from my limited understanding it should help you to increase your cycling speed.

What is your diet like because I think I am missing a few things in mine?

rjacob 07-25-2008 09:13 AM

I don't eat anything unusual. I try to keep it healthy low fat, but that is more to keep my weight down.

I suck at swimming. But I am getting better. Still can't swim anywhere near 2.4 miles. But I will be able to. The boyancy of a wet suit will help.

I do ride those hills. But I ride them as training rides. I don't ride my bike as a way to get around. Just not very practical for my schedule. I also spend a lot of time on a fluid trainer. But then I do most of my marathon training on a treadmill. I ran a 3:30:14 marathon in March which qualified me for Boston, and 99% of the training was on my treadmill.