EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   End of ecomodding in UE? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/end-ecomodding-ue-23386.html)

AndrzejM 09-20-2012 03:06 AM

End of ecomodding in UE?

UE wants to ban all modified vehicles starting from tuning the engines, suspension, aerodynamics to changing windscreen wipers with different size ones... :eek::eek:

Millions of modified and classic cars could be banned from the roads as meddling European Union try to shake-up MOT rules | Mail Online

If those rules become truth I'm moving out. US maybe? I'll be able to build boat tail then :thumbup:

niky 09-20-2012 03:23 AM

Madness. I've heard of this. The rules are vague, but even a change of wheels fall afoul of the guidelines.

meanjoe75fan 09-20-2012 04:45 AM

Didn't the text say "modifications would prevent passing the test without furthrer tessting? (words to that effect)

That would make it sound like a modded vehicle wouldn't be unpassable, but it would require more investigation of the mod for "check-off."

That's a lot less drastic than what the Mail implies, bit it's not as if they're terrible averse to glossing over the facts a bit for a striking headline.

RRC 09-20-2012 05:03 AM

It's something like ACTA, but this time it's about cars...

redpoint5 09-20-2012 05:17 AM

I believe you mean EU. The link appears to be a gossip site, so I wouldn't give it much attention. A ban on all modifications wouldn't pass, and would be impossible to enforce.

NickelB NL 09-20-2012 05:46 AM

I've hearth it a few week ago. There was said that "only" OEM parts are tobe allowed. This means that even normal use parts like brakes, suspension, tires, cables and so on, can only be bought AND fittet by the manufactorer.

I think this is just a lobby by the manufactorers to make more money, since they are in crisis. I also don't belive this to be possible. It wont make cars more safe, only more expencive

markweatherill 09-20-2012 06:14 AM

Hello from the UK! As I understand it, this basically isn't happening.

Piwoslaw 09-20-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickelB NL (Post 329059)
I've hearth it a few week ago. There was said that "only" OEM parts are tobe allowed. This means that even normal use parts like brakes, suspension, tires, cables and so on, can only be bought AND fittet by the manufactorer.

Only OEM parts? Hmm, what if I buy a second car, totally stock, then cut it up and use the material for a boattail? Everything came out of the factory, just in a different shape;)

I doubt this will pass, though it may happen in a watered down form. I personally wouldn't mind if some of the extra-loud tuned cars were removed from the roads, but I'm afraid that this law might do more harm than good.

Better get a boattail done while it's still legal, or actually while it's less illegal.

oil pan 4 09-20-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 329058)
A ban on all modifications wouldn't pass, and would be impossible to enforce.

That wont stop them. Our government does it.

I was reading on here that one of your failed euro states already had some law that wouldn't allow you to change tire size by more than 2% or 3% from what the vehicle left the factory with.

TheEnemy 09-20-2012 03:45 PM

As someone who has done "tech" inspectons BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good luck enforcing that.

Quote:

The EU also want to change the definition of a historic vehicle which would be exempt from an MOT.
It wants to exempt all cars more than 30-years-old from testing providing the vehicle 'has been maintained in its original condition, including its appearance'.
This is based on the vehicle having not 'sustained any change in technical characteristics of its main components such as engine, brakes, steering or suspension'.
Classic cars which don’t fit this criteria would then have to be subject to new regulations.
So if it has been modified its no longer a "historic" vehicle and subject to inspection which bars modifications.

That is of course not taking into account bias in the sourse of the reporting.