EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   ending oil subsidies in the US being presented (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ending-oil-subsidies-us-being-presented-27686.html)

P-hack 12-04-2013 09:49 AM

ending oil subsidies in the US being presented

Sorry this is obviously political, but while considering things like personal responsibility (and users of gasoline actually bearing the full costs instead of sharing the cost of excess usage with all tax payers) I thought it was worth mentioning. $10 billion/year is nothing to sneeze at. Yes it will be reflected in the cost of shipped goods, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Nor does it mean taxes will be reduced, but less deficit isn't bad either if that is how it plays out. bla bla bla. In any event it should lead to more efficient use of fuel in the US by consumers (and maybe less consumerism) and maybe less hysteria about alternate transportation options.

Today’s news from Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.):

End Big Oil Tax Breaks: As congressional budget negotiators look for ways to lower deficits, Sen. Sanders and Rep. Keith Ellison have introduced a bill that would cut tax subsidies to oil, gas and coal industries. Ellison said the bill would cut tax breaks, close loopholes and end taxpayer-funded fossil fuel research. This is a long shot, despite estimated savings of $100 billion-plus over 10 years, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. The fossil fuel lobby helped end some ethanol subsidies. Ethanol blends accounts for about 10 percent of U.S. gasoline sales. The White House 2014 budget proposal calls for eliminating several of the provisions cited in the Sanders-Ellison bill.

Frank Lee 12-04-2013 10:31 AM

Fair's fair.

Superfuelgero 12-04-2013 11:09 AM

That'd be fine, it'd be less than 10 cents a gallon (only counting gasoline). I'd also support another 10 to prevent the highway trust fund from being underfunded (again). The country survived gas prices $1 more than now, working out the details on transferring the costs, and they can again.
In brief, Tax 'em all, and let the hypermilers sort it out.

niky 12-04-2013 11:15 AM

Never believed ethanol deserved a free pass. Don't believe petroleum does, either.

MetroMPG 12-04-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Sorry this is obviously political...
It's bound to get messy.

I probably won't follow this thread, so anyone should feel free to report it when things inevitably turn nasty. I will fly in on my winged white unicorn and have her press the "close thread" button.

Superfuelgero 12-04-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 401842)
It's bound to get messy.

I probably won't follow this thread, so anyone should feel free to report it when things inevitably turn nasty. I will fly in on my winged white unicorn and have her press the "close thread" button.

If I had a winged unicorn, I wouldn't car about gas prices either. Pulse and glide noble stead, pulse and glide.

brucey 12-04-2013 11:41 AM

Every time I read about VT, it seems better and better. Thanks Bernie Sanders!

I would love for these subsidiaries to end, but getting anything through the system seems a long shot right now. House swings one way, senate swings another. I've seen a lot of good bills come out of the house lately and never even get through the Senate/Vice Versa.

This old(er) article from Forbes sums it up:

The Surprising Reason That Oil Subsidies Persist: Even Liberals Love Them - Forbes

Red tape leads to red tape which leads to red tape

http://pool.theinfosphere.org/images...cracy_3010.jpg

I'll keep my fingers crossed for this, though.

jeff88 12-04-2013 01:36 PM

And maybe we'll see more members on EM!!!

In any case, I think in the long run, this would be a good thing.

ShadeTreeMech 12-04-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucey (Post 401845)
Every time I read about VT, it seems better and better. Thanks Bernie Sanders!

I would love for these subsidiaries to end, but getting anything through the system seems a long shot right now. House swings one way, senate swings another. I've seen a lot of good bills come out of the house lately and never even get through the Senate/Vice Versa.

This old(er) article from Forbes sums it up:

The Surprising Reason That Oil Subsidies Persist: Even Liberals Love Them - Forbes

Red tape leads to red tape which leads to red tape

That is a good article. And I can see how it is hard to get rid of the subsidies. It may not be a great idea to possibly run off people who are employing us.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-04-2013 03:43 PM

We may expect to see CNG and eventually Biogas getting an increased market share, and ethanol too. Considering that some manufacturers already make E100-capable (actually E96h) vehicles in Mexico for export to Brazil, I wouldn't doubt it to also get some interest back there.