EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Engine Coolant Choice (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/engine-coolant-choice-11857.html)

TexasCotton 01-14-2010 01:00 PM

Engine Coolant Choice

GM Dex Cool -----orange color----Oreilly
Toyota Long Life coolant------red/pink----$21 at carquest
Prestone Ext Life any color ------color kinda clear ---Wally world
Least expensive coolant branded for retailers -------yellow/urine color

Anyway I am considering using prestone ext life coolant(any COLOR) for my 04Prius!
Prestone 800 phone hotline say this is compatible for that application.
Local ASE mech says the same.

I have notice many Toyota owners have been sold on mfg dealer branded products and color dye agent.
please view this link too
http://http://techno-fandom.org/~hob...00k/part5.html and
http://sancarlosradiator.com/antifreeze_coolant.
04SlvPrius

gone-ot 01-14-2010 02:11 PM

...if still under warantee, use appropriate "factory / OEM" coolant (and parts).

...if not under warantee, clean & flush thoroughly, and use Prestone.

TexasCotton 01-14-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 154226)
...if still under warantee, use appropriate "factory / OEM" coolant (and parts).

Answer to 2nd statement first and not to be ugly!
Most auto mfg warranty 3yr/36m unless having ext warrant. The vehicle has no warranty. aka 04SlvPrius

Next,OEM coolants use dye color agents so you come back to local dealer for product. Drain coolant fluid yes. Flush/clean is almost impossible on this vehicle. Like saying "flush/clean" brake line and master cylinder.

TomO 01-14-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 154226)

I agree with it being under warranty to use the factory suggested coolant.

But why so adamant about the Prestone coolant?

I buy the Murrays concentrated (green) coolant from O'Reilly's Auto. It's only $9 and makes two gallons of 50/50 mix as opposed to $9+ for the 1gal premixed stuff and the $11+ 1gal. Prestone extended premixed?

gone-ot 01-14-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 154239)

...why? (a) known quality history and (b) 'universal' compatibility with other mixes.

...other than that, no special reason (cost not considered either).

...maybe even "PEAK"?

TexasCotton 01-14-2010 03:02 PM

Prestone

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 154239)
I agree with it being under warranty to use the factory suggested coolant.

I buy the Murrays concentrated (green) coolant from O'Reilly's Auto. It's only $9 and makes two gallons of 50/50 mix as opposed to $9+ for the 1gal premixed stuff and the $11+ 1gal. Prestone extended premixed?

Not really "adamant" or adams ant bout any coolant producer. I use Oreally too for bout everything. Oreily house brand is prestone.
End users have mixed coolants choices in the past. Big no no is using low cost yellow "old school" engine coolant with ext life or long life.

GM got sued over Dex Cool

I am just wondering what the coolant formula makeup. of Toyota Long Life coolant (red/pink) (borate free) and true differentation might be.
Water quality varies . Coolant quality, formula makeup and proper application are important.
However the rest like color dye agents and word marketing aka "long life" "ext life" are just that marketing and branding.

Frank Lee 01-14-2010 04:14 PM

I use the cheap green stuff. Always have and why not? It always works. And it's cheap. And it works.

Why, when something works, bust a nut to find something else?

TomO 01-14-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 154267)
I use the cheap green stuff. Always have and why not? It always works. And it's cheap. And it works.

Why, when something works, bust a nut to find something else?

I say Amen to that!

I use the green stuff 50/50 mixed with distilled water. Every year I stick the positive lead from my Voltmeter in the water fill in the radiator fill neck (in the coolant) and the negative lead on the negative battery terminal. When it starts reading more than .01V it's time to change the coolant.

Source: Checking for Electrolysis in Coolant

I'm pretty tight with my money (have to be , I only make $17K a year) so I tend to squeeze as much life out of things as possible.

Frank Lee 01-14-2010 04:39 PM

I hear ya re: budget.

Last fall I got around to flushing/changing the coolant in my '94 F150. The FACTORY coolant. :eek:

I'm sure many would howl at the callousness of my abuse; however, it's the only vehicle I've ever bought new, and I've taken care of it from day one. Over the years I have checked the coolant, for color and with the hydrometer. Like other things on the truck, I finally changed it out of pure guilt. Like the air filter element I changed at 80,000 miles and over 10 years old- changed out of pure guilt because really, it wasn't filthy and could have stayed in service. This is the truck that still proudly wears the factory battery! :eek: In MN! :eek: :thumbup:

Oh, and when I did the coolant flush, there was no evidence whatsoever of any cooling system problems. There was a wee bit of sediment in the overflow tank. A visual down the radiator neck showed no accumilation of anything. Oh yes, in addition to the 16 year old battery, it proudly wears all the original hoses and plug wires. Shoot, I have replaced the serpentine belt once though.

99LeCouch 01-14-2010 06:18 PM

As an owner of a GM car that had Death-Cool in it, I like having choices. I'm using the Prestone extended-life since it was BOGO and I had a rebate back when I last changed it after the lower intake gaskets were changed. Saved another 3800, yes!

I'd use the mixes-with-any kind after flushing as much of the factory stuff out as possible.