EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   engineering my second recumbent motorbike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/engineering-my-second-recumbent-motorbike-14360.html)

AMDparts 08-27-2010 03:30 AM

engineering my second recumbent motorbike

it was born because of the quest for a fuel efficient variomatic recumbent motorbike, my recumbent version from a chinacopy hondabike with a 150cc honda dylan drivechain.........

the second one, wich will be much more fuel efficient, is beeing created in 3d at this very moment. my variomatic recumbent is now relaxed doing every refill above the 100MPG and that's good enough for now. no more effort will be put in the variomatic becouse you don't want this type of gear for fuel-efficiency. the rubber frictionbelt is nice to drive but taking too much power to use.

the next one will be a 125 ( or less ) fourstroke with a maximum of gears, a full streamline wich will be engineered and tested before the built will be started. progress will be posted !

greetings from a very wet Netherlands,

abel

skyl4rk 08-27-2010 10:07 AM

What do you think about the sidewind effect on a full fairing two wheeler? Is a full fairing dangerous on two wheels?

AMDparts 08-27-2010 10:31 AM

maybe when there's a serious wind.

i've driven it with 5 beauford and sideways it's a bit wobbely indeed, nothing i would get afraid of. my BMW R1150GS has a much bigger frontal surface and that's why it's far more scary when you hit the wave of a big truckload in the other lane. my recumbent does nothing with these 50 tonners ( KG ! )

sidewind reaction due to wind only is a bit more because of the fairing, i will work on the side-surface to get some less effect but it's allways going to stay a bigger surface then a naked bike. also it's a very light motorbike what's not improving the stability.

i'll keep you informed what hurricane i can take and when it's really getting suicide to drive.

:D

redyaris 08-27-2010 05:40 PM

Sounds interesting, Looking forward to some progress reports. Side winds on motorcycle, and other 2 wheeled vehicles are always a source of contraversy, as I suspect you are aware there are both successful designs and the other kind. I keep thinking about a three wheel recumbent with a 50cc honda motor but the list of projects is so long that it may be years before I am able to get to it. In Canada it would be classed as a bicycle and thus no insurance and registration, a great grocery getter.

Bicycle Bob 08-27-2010 08:15 PM

Craig Vetter stopped his MC economy competition due to worries over crosswind safety. His current experiments employ ballast in the nose. Extra side area is never good in a crosswind, but the effect is much worse if the shape works well as a wing. I'd use a fairly abrupt transition from front to side, to have the shape stall at low side force, and other variations to keep the stall from being abrupt.

redyaris 08-29-2010 12:00 PM

An other consideration with respect to side winds is to make sure that the center of pressure is behind the center of gravity so that the bike tends to turn into the side wind. This can be achieved by extending the bodywork beyond the rear wheel, as well as redusing the side area infront of the front wheel. In the 1950's there where many attempts at full streamlining in racing; as you are probably aware, some succesful with repect to side winds others not. Vetter reports in his website that his 'freedom machine' last vetter fairing, is no worse than other motorcycles and on the whole quit managable. Keep up the good work. 'I have a dream that one day...' we will all be riding 100mpg [2.3L/100km] motorbikes that can still do 200km/hr...

ecofreak 08-29-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 191182)
Craig Vetter stopped his MC economy competition due to worries over crosswind safety. His current experiments employ ballast in the nose. Extra side area is never good in a crosswind, but the effect is much worse if the shape works well as a wing. I'd use a fairly abrupt transition from front to side, to have the shape stall at low side force, and other variations to keep the stall from being abrupt.

His bike is also very tall, compared with what AMDparts wants to do. Begin to reduce the rider's height as much as comfort allows, and then, instead of approaching a teardrop cross-section shape that has sides perpendicular to the ground, try using the uppermost profile of an airfoil, with a more domed front profile a la VW 1L. The "hump" profile in theory should nudge off any sidewinds, and the low center of gravity wouldn't allow much of a loss of control anyway.

Frank Lee 08-29-2010 09:50 PM

Looks great! :thumbup:

Grant-53 09-09-2010 10:23 PM

The best cure for sidewind after making sure the CG is ahead of center of pressure is downforce, especially on the front wheel. The bottom profile should be more curved than the top and the cross section should be an elipse. The angle of attack of the whole body would be nose down. With a recumbent the rider's weight is more to the rear than an upright so a longer tail is needed. See the Aptera shape developed by Dr. Alberto Morelli. The engine should be as far forward as possible ala the Gurney Alligator and a long parallel link swing arm for the rear suspension.

AMDparts 09-10-2010 02:27 AM

hi grand,

i have to react on one thing of your post;

the sittingposition i have on my first proto recumbent motorbike may be totally different from the scooter it has been, the weight destribution is even. in my case there is no more pressure on rear or front wheel then with the original sittingposition. i have checked it.

the longer tail may be better with sideways pressure, it will do seriously negative in drag. when you minimize the surface of the rear and loose the air earlier the drag will be reduced a lot. that's why this VW 1L car or a speedboat's tail is this short.

abel