EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   EPA, Customs & DOT stops efficient vehicle... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/epa-customs-dot-stops-efficient-vehicle-25042.html)

botsapper 02-24-2013 12:27 PM

EPA, Customs & DOT stops efficient vehicle...

...the Peraves MonoTracer MTE-150 from entering the US. One of World's Most Efficient Vehicles Unable to Enter U.S. - NYTimes.com

pete c 02-24-2013 01:14 PM

Yup.

I get a kick out of big government giving us all the lip service about saving the environment and lowering our use of fossil fuels. They don't give two bleeps about any of that. They care only about being in charge.

I don't have a problem with crash standards, but, they should not stop anyone from putting a vehicle on the road. Our roads could be full of all sorts of inexpensive high mileage vehicles, but, they are not because "mom" (the government) won't let it, because they are watching out for our safety.

That is bull.

Let me buy what I want. If it is not as safe, oh well. Let me decide what level of risk I am willing to take. I can go to the Suzuki store tomorrow and legally buy a GSXR-1000. So, the safety argument is crap.

It is all about control and providing protection to existing automakers.

rmay635703 02-24-2013 01:52 PM

Its really too bad no one in this country is willing to stand together and protest this type of stupidity.

I really think we ought to be able as a people and a country to force the government to eliminate the 1985 reagan import bans. Really they have no purpose in existing and increase the cost of vehicles domestically and overseas.

There needs to be a more open market for low volume type vehicles, if they want to ban a certain type of vehicle that comes primarily from one country I think there are far SIMPLER ways of accomplishing this rather then penalize everyone in the entire world for it.

Also whenever the phrase "Regulations are complex" is used to describe something you know its just bull****. They are long but nothing complex or even necessary is in them and somebody had to go and write them for usually self serving reasons. We make these type of issues hard but laws are easy to scrap if there is any will at all to do so.

I can't do it because I said so doesn't hold much water with me.

pete c 02-24-2013 02:51 PM

So, it was during the Reagan administration that we got that ridiculous law against importing grey market stuff.

Well, Reagan probably wouldn't mind if it got rescinded. I am sure there are a lot of BMW dealers that would, but, they can go pound sand.

There needs to be a law passed that essentially revokes all of our nanny state regs. I would make exceptions only for regs that require a certain level of braking and perhaps something regarding minimal handling regs as these are the types of things that would keep other people safe. Let me worry about my own safety.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 02-24-2013 05:09 PM

EPA is there more for political reasons than environmental ones.

pete c 02-24-2013 05:21 PM

Yeah, they are like any other government leech, they are there to "grow the business".

tjts1 02-24-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 358104)
EPA is there more for political reasons than environmental ones.

Should I grab my safety gear?
http://www.tinfoilonmyhead.com/image...atAreaOnly.jpg

pete c 02-24-2013 06:51 PM

too late, the gubmint mind control rays have obviously already got a hold of you.

MTXA 02-24-2013 07:15 PM

I'm glad the EPA got involved. I can't think of anything worse than getting stuck behind an electric vehicle in traffic and having to breathe in clouds of waste protons. Until it is fitted with a waste proton transmogrifier it should not be granted citizenship.

SoobieOut 02-24-2013 07:36 PM

Amazing how difficult it is to get a new car on the road in the US. Maybe we need a classification like they do for small airplanes that are called "Experimental" .

That way we could have a couple thousand of "Experimental" cars on the road to work out the bugs before going to full production.

Reminds me of the movie "Tucker" where the big 3 automakers used the federal government to do the dirty work.

Something about this deal stinks...