EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   EPA Moves To Cut Sulfur In Gasoline (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/epa-moves-cut-sulfur-gasoline-25403.html)

mechman600 03-29-2013 08:45 PM

EPA Moves To Cut Sulfur In Gasoline

EPA Moves To Cut Sulfur In Gasoline, Reducing Emissions Further

Not sure if the article writer really knows what he/she is talking about. On one hand he says that sulfur deteriorates catalytic converters over time and on the other hand he says a 2/3rds cut in sulfur in gasoline will reduce NOx, HC, etc. emissions of millions of cars overnight.

gone-ot 03-29-2013 08:57 PM

...it's the GASOLINE equivalent of what they (EPA) did 'to' DIESEL fuel a few years ago, demand that refineries get the sulphur OUT of the fuels.

...if you've ever pulled up to a late-model GM vehicle with your windows down you'll recognize their "rotten-eggs" aroma for sure...due to sulphur in fuel getting "catalized" in the catalytic converter.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-30-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 364114)
...it's the GASOLINE equivalent of what they (EPA) did 'to' DIESEL fuel a few years ago, demand that refineries get the sulphur OUT of the fuels.

It should've been done before :turtle:

mechman600 03-30-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 364142)
It should've been done before :turtle:

They already did in 2004:
Quote:

The aim is to reduce the sulfur content of gasoline by two thirds, following existing reductions which have dropped sulfur content to a tenth of what it was in 2004.

gone-ot 03-30-2013 07:13 PM

...question is, however, WHEN does the EPA (if ever?) consider consequences to the consumer? At what point does "diminishing returns" become acceptable--or, bluntly--when does the government LEAVE people alone? When is enough, ENOUGH?

mechman600 03-30-2013 07:27 PM

I'm gonna have to say never.

gone-ot 03-30-2013 09:15 PM

...obviously, it was a retorical question without an expected rational answer.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-31-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechman600 (Post 364178)
They already did in 2004:

But usually EPA goes harder for Diesel standards than for gasoline. Well, actually I might admit I'd be favorable to remove all the sulfur from both gasoline and Diesel fuel :D

jamesqf 03-31-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 364253)
...question is, however, WHEN does the EPA (if ever?) consider consequences to the consumer?

But what, exactly, are the consequences to the consumer likely to be here? A few cents rise in the price of gas, which is already so cheap in this country that the vast majority of people have no problems with driving excessively large, inefficient vehicles that use far more gas than necessary. (And which cause innumerable problems, from congestion to exhaust fumes, that rebound on me.)

If that's what it takes to get rid of the rotten egg smell I get when climbing long grades in the summer, fine.

gone-ot 03-31-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 364347)
But what, exactly, are the consequences to the consumer likely to be here? A few cents rise in the price of gas, which is already so cheap in this country that the vast majority of people have no problems with driving excessively large, inefficient vehicles that use far more gas than necessary. (And which cause innumerable problems, from congestion to exhaust fumes, that rebound on me.)

If that's what it takes to get rid of the rotten egg smell I get when climbing long grades in the summer, fine.

...the "hidden" answer is that the EPA mandate affects BOTH the gasoline refineries AND the automobile manufacturers...just like what has already happened with current diesels and the SCR-catalytists and DPF-fluids (urea, AdBlue, etc) crap being foisted onto diesel engines...it's NOT just a gasoline-side mandate as most people are assuming.