EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   EV from differential? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ev-differential-14405.html)

WaxyChicken 08-31-2010 10:03 AM

EV from differential?

Saturn SL1 1996
4cyl Automatic front wheel drive.

would it be possible to remove the engine and transmission and have
an ev motor attach to the differential and drive it that way?

If so, what drive-gear would this compare to? (eg: 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc..)

(i know very little past checking the oil.)

Daox 08-31-2010 10:25 AM

It would be comparable to 3rd or 4th gear for most cars. Honestly, its much easier to just connect the motor to the transmission input shaft. Otherwise, you literally have to hack apart the transmission, make your own or customize the output shaft so you have a gear to connect to the differential gear... It would be tons of work.

WaxyChicken 08-31-2010 02:06 PM

would it still need to be constantly spinning like with other AT EV conversions?

Daox 08-31-2010 02:19 PM

Yup. In order to not do that you'd need a clutch.

Ryland 08-31-2010 11:02 PM

It really shouldn't be to hard to do, if you have a machine shop and know how to fabricate parts, the trans axle is nice tho because it's already designed to bolt to the cars frame, holds the gear oil without leaking and is already set up for the drive axles to go in to it, speedometer mounts to it as well as the back up light switch.
On front wheel drive cars the trans axle is also not very heavy, maybe 50 pounds and most of the time it's not real big.

WaxyChicken 09-02-2010 04:26 AM

Gotcha. so good idea if you don't mind the extra work and finding the right people to make parts. :D Thanks.

dcb 09-02-2010 07:44 AM

Do you think it matters if it is an automatic? Would bypassing the torque converter cause any problems? is it also running a pump to make hydraulic pressure?

edit, oops, heres something, yah it looks wasteful to put an automatic in a range challenged EV
http://www.evconvert.com/faq/can-i-u...c-transmission

Are you talking about cutting the differential off and mounting up to that? I wonder if there is a way to salvage the gear changes without the automatic losses (i.e. bypass the torque converter), would take some work either way. The saturn is RV towable so there might be some options.

WaxyChicken 09-05-2010 10:07 AM

It is 20 miles to work.
so the vehicle would have to go 40 miles before recharging. (there, park, return)

i have no idea about torque converter.... or even what it is. (don't know crap about that part of a car)

I'm looking at this vehicle because it has engine problems and a few transmission problems. AND i already own it and it's registered.

i'd get a cheap POS to get back and fourth to work while i convert the saturn and then have an EV i just have to update with the MVD (DMV).

the problems it has are:
Radiator, cylinder timing, and transmission shifting.
those problems would be a non-factor if i can even remove the transmission when converting and just put the motor straight to the differential.

the only pumps i know of are the usual A/C compressor, power steering, and water pump.

on the way to work it's mostly freeway but i wouldn't mind taking the slower state route.
but it would be nice to pass up those other cars in the 75mph zone and have them see "ELECTRIC" ;)

i'm not starting the project anytime soon, it's in the planning stages and at least a few months off.

gone-ot 09-05-2010 09:11 PM

...automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to engage and dis-engage the various torque bands for each "gear" and to "lock-up" the torque-converter. Without the trany's pump, nothing would work.

...although you could simply use an external (electric?) hydraulic pump.

Ryland 09-05-2010 10:03 PM

what year and model of saturn? it looks like you can buy a used good transmision for about $250 for a 1998 SL1