EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Exciting new liquid fuel-electric hybrid conversion company (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/exciting-new-liquid-fuel-electric-hybrid-conversion-company-21314.html)

Persanity 04-05-2012 04:58 PM

Exciting new liquid fuel-electric hybrid conversion company

Hello Everybody,
My name is Aaron Coach, I am the founder and CEO of R³ Technology.
R³ Technology can convert any existing vehicle into a liquid fuel-electric hybrid. Though, convert isn't accurate as we transform existing cars into hybrids.
Currently we are in the advance start-up stage and working with a company called MassChallenge for the opportunity to participate in a business accelerator program. Our profile on the MassChallenge website is public and as such we are able to receive feedback from the public in the form of votes.
R³ Technology needs your help to get the votes we need to show that the public needs, wants and deserves the service R³ Technology will offer.
Please show your support for the community by going to www.masschallenge.org/user/register and registering to vote.
R³ Technology is located under the 2012 startups in the Energy & clean tech section.
Thank you all for your time and dedication to making the planet a cleaner place for future generations,
Aaron Coach.

Persanity 04-05-2012 04:58 PM

I wanted to add the information from the R³ Technology public profile on MassChallenge.org to the thread so the members here can see what we are about before following the link to register to vote. Yes, I know registering on a website to vote is inconvenient, However by taking just a few moments to do so you can actively participate in helping a disruptive innovation reach market. R³ Technology knows and wants pure electric cars to be the future, however Grandpa Joe that drives his '56 Chevy with original carb V8 needs a solution that will let him reuse the vehicle he currently owns and loves, while gaining all benefits of a modern hybrid. One great thing about the process we use in doing our conversions/transformations is that they have the potential to become pure electric vehicles when the right technology comes along.

From MassChallenge public profile:

R³ Technology: Reuse.Repurpose.Retrofit. R³ Technology specializes in turnkey hybrid conversions that use proven auto industry technology.

R³ utilizes a unique blend of existing technologies to build more efficient hybrid components. R³'s proprietary technology allows for electricity to be generated in a more efficient way. R³'s approach can be adapted into many existing power generation systems. R³'s process can be used on any drivetrain configuration & isn't limited to just rear wheel drive with drum brakes as current kits are. R³'s method does not add unsprung weight to wheel or axle. R³ Technology hybrids do not have batteries.

Please feel free to ask questions here. Not only will it help to generate interest for the thread but it will help me see what my potential future customers want in a liquid fuel-electric hybrid. BTW I use term liquid fuel-engine as this process works equally well on gas and diesel vehicles and converted cars can be run on whatever the customer wants. Gas, Diesel, E85, CNG,LPG, hydrogen and whatever other liquid fuels engines may run on in the future.
Again I thank you all for your time and help,
Aaron Coach,
CEO & Founder.

ecomodded 04-05-2012 05:57 PM

You said what it doesn't have , partially, but what does it have , fully ? you were very vague in your description.

cleanspeed1 04-05-2012 06:05 PM

I have to agree with ECMD. Need details my friend. What does it do, how does it work, do you have pics?

Persanity 04-06-2012 11:52 AM

Please understand that as a start-up business I can't share our trade secrets. The idea for this business came about from wanting to do a conversion on my 2000 S10. From searching for existing conversions I came across an all electric S10 in which the converter had placed a common commercial generator into a tool box in the bed, I also came across several EVs with generator trailers. I thought what was the point of getting rid of your vehicles gas engine, converting to pure electric and then attaching a generator to get better range when doing a hybrid conversion from the start would perform better and allow retention of the original vehicle engine.
So, from there I started researching DIY hybrid conversions and current auto company offerings, Thats when I came across the companies NetGain, Poulsen Hybrid, Revolo and AltE all currently doing hybrid conversions.
I realized there was a better way using existing components, why redesign the wheel?
Since the batteries used in conversions to hybrid and electric are the most expensive aspect of the conversion I decided to get rid of them till better technology comes along. As the currently available electric storage alternatives don't have the power density of current battery technology the gas engine needs to run slightly more often. Now we need a system that allows more power to be generated instantly while still retaining the ability to be fuel efficient. So, we rebuild the engine so that even if it was used in a pure gas vehicle it would be more fuel efficient, then we add a system that allows the gas engine to always run at a exact rpm (give or take a few rpm), this rpm number will be the best mix of power output to fuel efficiency possible for the given applications ICE. All suspensions components of the vehicle are removed and replaced with independent suspension. So now we have a vehicle with IFS, IRS, rebuilt more efficient ICE, a generator and generator power amplification system. The electric motor. It replaces the transmission in the vehicle. In no way shape or form will ICE be directly driving the wheels. KW of motor will most likely vary for different size vehicles. I wouldn't want to put the same electric motor in a Fiero that I'd put in a hummer. Well, Actually I would want to do that, for myself. Anyway, So now we have all the parts and systems for a hybrid except a controller to tie it altogether. So we take a proprietary computer system that does just that. Then you do the hokey pokey and thats what our hybrid conversion process is all about. I've left out exactly how the proprietary stuff works and have given a basic overview of the entire process. I really hope this helps people here to understand what we are doing. I don't have a complete system currently, only partial subsystems and they are not in a vehicle. I don't have the equipment to measure the efficiency differences from using my system at present.
On a separate note,Im not sure if anybody has noticed, but most people these days can't drive, they over rev the hell out of the engine and just generally beat the snot out of the cars they drive,This all ends up make the engine burn oil which puts more pollution in the air. By separating the ICE from the "gas" pedal hopefully this will all change.
As always ask any questions and thank you for your time.
Aaron Coach,
Founder & CEO

P.S. I've been asked on other forums what my definition of a hybrid is.
The way I define a hybrid should be the same as anybody else. The vehicle utilizes gas and electric drive elements, a hybrid drivetrain. Electric drive elements are not exclusive to battery powered vehicles. Look at diesel-electric trains & Cruise Ships.

cleanspeed1 04-06-2012 12:17 PM

Sounds spendy. Do you have a running vehicle? How much would all this cost and what kind of mpg would we be looking at?

Sounds like a modern interpretation of this: EARTH DIARY: 1993 Update:Dave Arthurs' Amazing Hybrid Electric Car

Persanity 04-06-2012 12:35 PM

Since R³ Technology uses all off the shelf parts, even our proprietary systems are off the shelf parts put together in a new way, it should keep the costs of a conversion way down. No, I do NOT currently have a running vehicle. Just a lot of subsystems with no way to mount in vehicle at present. I don't have any hard figures for mpg as of yet but they would be different for each vehicle anyway cause of aerodynamics.
Aaron Coach
Founder & CEO

cleanspeed1 04-06-2012 01:04 PM

I would be more inclined to consider what you have IF you had a proof of concept vehicle. Why not put something together and get it out there to guage response.
Take it cross country and do a film documentary to show the viability in all enviromental conditions. If you did something like that, and the vehicle drive system is as reliable and efficient as you claim it to be in the harshest conditions, then people would be more inclined to give it a look. As it stands now, you are too new and with the financial environment being the way it is, people are very skeptical about anyone bringing a "silver bullet" solution.

You want to do something? I am a trucker. I am used to having to survive on the road in some of the worst conditions possible. I have been across the nation and Canada putting several thousand miles a week on old and modern trucks. I am used to having to survive bad weather and crap vehicles. Still make money with them. Put your vehicle with me for a while and lets go on a tour; 48 states, Canada, mountains, deserts, open road and inner city cycles. Let's beat the crap out of your concept and document everything. If you are interested, PM me. I don't come cheap, but I am worth it.

Persanity 04-06-2012 01:14 PM

That is why R³ Technology got involved with MassChallenge.
If we gather enough votes from the public and judges R³ Technology gets minimum $50,000 But up to $100,000 in venture capital to build the prototype.
Aaron Coach,
Founder & CEO

cleanspeed1 04-06-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persanity (Post 298606)
Since R³ Technology uses all off the shelf parts, even our proprietary systems are off the shelf parts put together in a new way, it should keep the costs of a conversion way down. No, I do NOT currently have a running vehicle. Just a lot of subsystems with no way to mount in vehicle at present. I don't have any hard figures for mpg as of yet but they would be different for each vehicle anyway cause of aerodynamics.
Aaron Coach
Founder & CEO

Let me give you a little constructive criticism. This post says that you have done these things and have these subsystems, etc. yet you do not have a prototype vehicle. If all you've done is a manipulation of current "off the shelf" technology, then it means that it was designed and mounted somewhere on a vehicle at some point, and if you have gone this far in building the pieces, then that means you can build the car. If what you have is easily integrateable into any vehicle, then grab a 500.00 to 1000.00 car or truck and do it. Matter of fact, get the first thing that comes that is clean and rust free and put the stuff that you have in it.