EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Extended vs regular cab truck (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/extended-vs-regular-cab-truck-9847.html)

WA1DH 08-26-2009 01:04 PM

Extended vs regular cab truck

How much difference can I expect to see in MPG with a standard cab vs. an extended cab pickup truck? I know the extended cab is a few hundred pounds heavier, but then I've read that it makes the truck more aerodynamic? What's the verdict?

Thanks.

Frank Lee 08-26-2009 04:01 PM

As a practical matter, I'd say zero.

aerohead 08-26-2009 05:19 PM

vs

If automakers provided the CdA for each of their vehicles,that would allow an intelligent appraisal.We presume that an electrical appliance will have a nameplate with voltage,current,frequency,phase,etc. data from which to anticipate performance.Unfortunately,we cannot presume the same for vehicles.------ If your dealer can provide you with the data your in.

Clev 08-26-2009 06:44 PM

Probably depends on the vehicle too. A 2009 Ford Ranger Supercab is only 14.2 inches longer than the regular cab. I would think that bed length would be more of a factor in Cd.

MadisonMPG 08-26-2009 08:02 PM

Bed length is probably more important.

Duffman 08-26-2009 08:40 PM

I use to think it really wouldnt matter much but I have participated in bunch of MPG polls on Ford Truck Enthusiasts and none of the others trucks on there can touch what I get. Admitedly I have the right combination (Reg cab, 2wd, diesel, stick) for MPG but the spread is always more than it should be.

Clev 08-26-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 124031)
I use to think it really wouldnt matter much but I have participated in bunch of MPG polls on Ford Truck Enthusiasts and none of the others trucks on there can touch what I get. Admitedly I have the right combination (Reg cab, 2wd, diesel, stick) for MPG but the spread is always more than it should be.

I think that's more a function of drivers who don't try (or don't know how to try.) I was on an Accord forum earlier today and marveling at people who were excited about getting 25-28 mpg in the same car I regularly get 35-36 mpg in, even with my unusual commute. (I can't even imagine what it would take to get 25 mpg in that car now. 90 mph with the parking brake on?)

RobertSmalls 08-26-2009 09:00 PM

In the city, the few hundred extra lbs is huge, since you'll be spending fuel repeatedly bringing it up to speed. On the highway, extra weight will increase rolling resistance. While fuel consumption is admittedly governed by aerodynamics at high speeds, if every MPG counts, you'll shed weight where you can.

Frank Lee 08-26-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 124031)
Admitedly I have the right combination (Reg cab, 2wd, diesel, stick) for MPG but the spread is always more than it should be.

For the purposes of this thread you have the wrong combination!

X-Cabs will be more aero than standard cabs.

That said, IIRC most pickups are credited with .44-.46ish Cds, while the latest and greatest "fuel economy" versions of full size pickups are claiming about .41. It's something, but it doesn't cause me to dream about huge fe improvements.