EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Fan Clutch (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fan-clutch-35869.html)

redpoint5 11-26-2017 02:42 PM

Fan Clutch

Yesterday I took the fan clutch out of the Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and brought it to the parts store. The nut part that threads onto the engine was very difficult to spin when cold, so I figured the clutch was bad. Comparing it to a new one at the store, it was just as difficult to turn.

I put the fan clutch back in the truck, started it up from cold, and stuck a rolled up piece of cardboard into it. It shredded it, not slowing down in the slightest.

Not sure how to test one of those fan clutches with a built in thermostat. Seems mine isn't working correctly and causes the engine to take a long time to warm up. Then again, the new part didn't turn freely either.

There is very little info online, mostly people showing the valve that the thermostat is on getting stuck, or the clutch fluid leaking out. Neither of which are my problem.

oil pan 4 11-26-2017 03:07 PM

Put a heat gun on it.
Plus you probably don't need it during winter anyways.

Gasoline Fumes 11-26-2017 03:25 PM

Electric fan conversion!

Baltothewolf 11-26-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 554996)
Electric fan conversion!

This is by far the best recommendation.

Jez77 11-27-2017 12:22 AM

I recently replaced my clutch fan with electric only to discover my van doesn't need a fan.
It idled for about an hour on a 30deg C day, no fan, heater and AC off and the hottest it got to was 79deg C.
The electric fan is set to come on at 85 but still yet to happen.

Frank Lee 11-27-2017 01:43 AM

People I've told/shown have a hard time believing my two Fords with fan deletes and year-around engine blankets don't run hot. And one also has a "grille block" and the water pump slowed down 40% IIRC.

redpoint5 11-27-2017 01:47 AM

I don't want to sink much money into the truck as it has a laundry list of problems and has a lot of miles on the chassis (probably around 350,000).

The fan is necessary because I occasionally pull heavy with the truck.

How are clutched fans supposed to work anyhow? It's not connected to the coolant, so how does the thermostat on the clutch "know" when to turn on?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-27-2017 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 555028)
How are clutched fans supposed to work anyhow? It's not connected to the coolant, so how does the thermostat on the clutch "know" when to turn on?

The electromagnetic clutch may not be connected to the coolant lines, but the thermostatic control must do so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 554996)
Electric fan conversion!

Electric fans not just are more efficient, and more recently becoming cheaper, but they also tend to require fewer maintenance in the long run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jez77 (Post 555025)
I recently replaced my clutch fan with electric only to discover my van doesn't need a fan.

It's still better to have a fan while not needing it than not having and actually needing one.

Jez77 11-27-2017 04:03 AM

My clutch fan was triggered by air temp heating a bimetalic strip inside the clutch.
I think others use a viscous clutch and sense coolent temp from the waterpump shaft.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-27-2017 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jez77 (Post 555036)
My clutch fan was triggered by air temp heating a bimetalic strip inside the clutch.

Interesting, but I wonder if that would really be as effective as using some engine temperature parameter such as coolant and/or oil temperatures to trigger the fan.