EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   First drawing of RIDE prototype vehicle (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/first-drawing-ride-prototype-vehicle-20024.html)

user removed 01-08-2012 06:31 PM

First drawing of RIDE prototype vehicle

1 Attachment(s)
For your consideration. The drawing is 10 inches long, scale is 1/15th.
Length 12 feet 6 inches, width 5 feet. Should match the ideal shape almost perfectly. Sides will be vertical for the first 18 inches, then match the curvature of the drawing in the vertical.

regards
Mech

drmiller100 01-08-2012 06:46 PM

Very elegant, very simple. Looks great! what kind of engine?

user removed 01-08-2012 09:05 PM

It is going to be a hydraulic hybrid, so the engine could be from a pressure washer.
The in wheel drive (rear wheel) is based on my US Patent #7677208. Using only the rear wheel on the first functional vehicle due to cost of scratch building the in wheel drive.

Front suspension is a ball joint late VW bug, late 60s to early 70s.

regards
Mech

dr200 01-08-2012 10:27 PM

nice. why hydraulic?

user removed 01-08-2012 10:41 PM

I guess the best answer is to prove the viability of my patented design. In essence a self hypermiling car. The drive allows for constant speeds while running on accumulator pressure alone, with the engine cycling on and off to replenish pressure in the accumulator. Deceleration forces also recharge the accumulator. What is achieved by expert hypermilers will now be incorporated into the basic design of the vehicle, automating what is now done by the driver without speed fluctuations normally associated with pulse and glide.

Fuel consuming engine on cycle percentage will depend on average demand, with the engine always running at peak efficiency.

regards
Mech

theycallmeebryan 01-08-2012 11:22 PM

Why not a tandem design to reduce FA?

BamZipPow 01-08-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 278630)
It is going to be a hydraulic hybrid, so the engine could be from a pressure washer.
The in wheel drive (rear wheel) is based on my US Patent #7677208. Using only the rear wheel on the first functional vehicle due to cost of scratch building the in wheel drive.

Front suspension is a ball joint late VW bug, late 60s to early 70s.

regards
Mech

This patent?
Radial rotary engine with energy storage - United States Patent 7677208

user removed 01-08-2012 11:52 PM

Yes on the patent.
I prefer the side by side seating. The front axle is 60 inches wide, and everything seems to fit well together with some room for side protection.
The curves match the template perfectly for best aerodynamics, and the design of the VW axle gives you a decent amount of collision protection as well as the natural tendency of the trailing arms to deflect and offset impact to the side.
Overall length of just over 12 feet is all I need to package everything.

regards
Mech

UFO 01-08-2012 11:58 PM

Very cool. I think your concepts have much potential.

Vekke 01-09-2012 11:18 AM

- So engine can run always at best point in BSFC map.
- You can drive steady speed and the engine can do the push and gliding. Pump the pressure when needed.
-You can do engine braking by capturing pressure when you are braking?

Sound clever system so far and the body looks very nice. Is this RIDE prototype system optimised for fuel economy or will you have how many "horsepower" and what is the top speed target?