EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Flat tire repair vs weigth savings techiques (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/flat-tire-repair-vs-weigth-savings-techiques-38819.html)

Vekke 11-25-2020 10:49 AM

Flat tire repair vs weigth savings techiques

We all know extra weigth is not good for MPG. In most cars there are two ways to solve flat tire problem:

Option #1
- Have a spare wheel
- Jack etc needed tools
cons
- adds a lot of weigth 10-30 kg depending on vechicle size
- takes space about 100 liters
- Takes skills and power to replace the tire and open bolts
- Some cases have limited speeds to drive speeds with sparetire
- Takes time for beginner to change the tire -15-60 minutes and you can easily break or car in the process if you dont know what you are doing
Pros
+ Usually can continue driving normally after spare tire is installed.

option #2
- Have a tire seal can which seals and fixes small holes
- Pressure compressor
Cons
- Tire fix foams limited ability to fix tires in cold and if you have a hole to side of tire etc.
- Takes also bit of space
- Seal foams have use before dates, and oem foams are expensive
- Usually messy job
- Tire might leak empty during nigth
- Fix takes time
Pros
+can continue journey if tire holds pressure
+ is pretty lightweigth solution

Option #3
- No tools, sparetire or nothing to fix blownout tires

Cons
- Takes a long time for the road assistance to arrive and tow the car or fix the tire at site
- Is very expensive
Pros
+ Car comes fixed professionally
+ Car is safe to drive after fix
+ LIghtest solution to save weigth and space

Any other options you know?
Some bicycle tires have some expensive glues to put inside tires which in theory fill the hole immediately.

What I know from my own experience is that usually when you are driving you are in a hurry. So when tire is blown your timeplan starts to go bad with all the normal methods.

I would appreciate if you could post here some pictures of your flatout tires and how you fixed the situation, what it cost and how long it took?

https://scontent-dus1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2e&oe=5FE2ADA2

Here is my latest mishap. few years old winter tires and screw throug the side which is tricky to fix so it lasts. On that morning had to use other car for the journey. Tried to fix it with can seal no luck with that. Bougth new used set of tires to fix the problem.

me and my metro 11-25-2020 11:01 AM

Tire shops in the US would not attempt to repair the above damage. I carry a spare tire in all personal use vehicles. All vehicles at work do not carry spare tires larger than a pickup. We have 24 hour emergency tire repair services available.

redpoint5 11-25-2020 11:43 AM

Weight hardly affects fuel economy unless the commute is heavily stop and go traffic, and even then 40 lbs isn't going to be all that significant.

Tire plug kit, pliers, and a mini air compressor is the best option. You can make a repair in as little as 5 minutes without taking the wheel off the car. It would permanently fix about 90% of leaks. Plug kits can be purchased for $2, and inflators for maybe $15.

A tire shop wouldn't repair that screw because it's in the sidewall. Again, I'd just throw a plug in it and see how it holds up. Worst case, a leak develops and I have to replace the tire eventually.

With those type of pictures where the screw is mostly sealing the leak, I get my ream tool and tire plug ready, pull the screw, and quickly ream the puncture, and then quickly plug it. It can usually be done with minimal loss of air so that you don't have to spend an eternity filling the tire.

Stubby79 11-25-2020 12:07 PM

Mmm...can 'o inflate & seal, unless I'm going on a road trip. Lots of stop and go in this town...every ounce counts?

M_a_t_t 11-25-2020 12:27 PM

I use to play the no spare, no sealant game. Once I got a flat though and had to call my Mother to bring the jack and wheel to me so I could replace it I changed my tune. I'm not about to pay for a tow truck or any service fees. I now carry a full size spare with me. Since it's only a 14" rim it's only ~25 lbs. If I was worried about that weight I would remove the passenger seat. The only passenger I ever have in my car is my dog and he doesn't car if he is in the seat or not.

redpoint5 11-25-2020 12:36 PM

I'll add that I've used all 4 options multiple times, so I speak from experience. My guess is anyone preferring fix a flat has no experience with plugs. Fix a flat might be capable of sealing some odd things that a plug couldn't, like rusty chrome from a wheel causing a leak from the bead of the tire. I haven't tried it for that purpose, though, so I don't know if it might work.

M_a_t_t 11-25-2020 12:41 PM

Couldn't agree more. I haven't driven on one to comment on longevity, but plugs are very easy to do and you can get the kit for like $8. The only thing keeping me from relying on plugs, for now atleast, is airing the tire up after when I am out and about. I haven't been impressed with the compact air compressors I've seen so far.

SkauneJohan 11-25-2020 01:46 PM

Full size spare always, and add it in with your tire rotation :thumbup:

have had a full tire blowout three times(over 20 years of driving Both personal and in jobs) that is something a plug cannot fix and definatly no spraycan either

redpoint5 11-25-2020 02:00 PM

I've needed a full spare twice in 20 years. I've plugged, gooed, or patched probably 2 dozen leaks in my vehicles, and another dozen for others.

oil pan 4 11-25-2020 06:13 PM

I'm carring a spare. People around here just don't care and drop nails and metal on the roads from their uncovered trailer and pickup loads of roofing tear off, junk pickup, ect.
Last flat tire I had was a a hole almost big enough to stick my finger in. No plug will seal that.