EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Fogged windshied + no A/C (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fogged-windshied-no-c-5576.html)

Cd 10-16-2008 03:55 PM

Fogged windshied + no A/C

I never ( NEVER ) use my A/C even in the middle of August here in Texas.
I have wanted to get rid of my A/C for years now, but always need it in emergencies when my windshield suddenly foggs up.

For those of you without A/C, how do you handle this problem?

moorecomp 10-16-2008 04:12 PM

Same as I did back in 1976 when I was driving my 1974 Mercury Bobcat (aka Ford Pinto); I turn on the defroster. Worked fine even with no a/c. Granted, the new cars do work better with the a/c removing the humidity from the air. But I disconnect my a/c compressor for the cooler months so I can run the defroster and not the compressor.

futpoo 10-16-2008 04:35 PM

Crack your window a little bit. Also, use the defroster on hot to try and heat up the glass so the conditions aren't so good for condensation.

FastPlastic 10-16-2008 05:45 PM

Check out the anti-fog cleaning cloths. I've heard they work wonders on motorcycle helmets. Couldn't hurt for the windshield.

basjoos 10-16-2008 06:36 PM

I use Fog-X on the inside glass during the worst of the cold season. Also be sure the inside glass is clean since dirt, skin oils (from wiping the fogged glass with your hand), and that almost invisible "haze" that forms on the inside glass (especially on newer vehicles) are a magnets for fogging up glass. Clean them off and the fog is much slower to form on the glass.

almightybmw 10-16-2008 10:58 PM

wow.... I never would have thought that "defrost" and AC were an issue. Seriously, just use the defrost setting. Every vehicle has it. Too moist inside the vehicle? crack the windows. Not enough? OPEN the windows. Still not working? stop breathing, you're only making it worse. Whenever I've had that issue, summer or winter, its either there when I get in the car, or builds up because I brought moisture in, like after a shower. Cracking the windows, and defroster, regardless or outside temperature, has always solved the issue within 30 seconds, unless it's iced over (but Texas doesn't have that problem).

(written with sarcasm and a joking attitude)

trikkonceptz 10-16-2008 11:51 PM

As mentioned before, they make several treatments for the inside of the glass to prevent fogging. The last one I used came in a wax stick and was applied like a wax. In fact, try using wax on the inside of your windshield that might work.

I believe fog x is made by rain x.

Johnny Mullet 10-17-2008 06:35 AM

Fog X also works for me.

whokilledthejams 10-17-2008 07:14 AM

The S10 I used to have didn't have AC. Generally, when the windows are fogged up, it's cool enough that running the heat isn't unpleasant, at least for the few minutes you need to.

Doofus McFancypants 10-17-2008 08:29 AM

Here in ATL - i rarely use the AC as well - only defogger/defroster

When the AC is Off - is there any load on the engine from it? I thought as long as it is off - it does not suck up any power ( only the added weight of the system).

When my wife drives the car - she does use the AC. _ look at my fuel log - can you tell what tanks she drive the car during?!?!?

Lately i have been opening the windows in the AM to clear the fog.

steve